The Student Room Group

The hardest courses for admissions are those with October Deadline

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ando181
LOL.
I have made a post about this, 'cant get AAA for UK medical/dental schools, BUY A DEGREE FROM EUROPE!'

Yeah and now you can also buy one from Uclan.
Original post by shahbaz
Yeah and now you can also buy one from Uclan.

Lmfao, its all the asians sending their kids off to get medical/dental degrees lol
Original post by ando181
Its simply because their student numbers med/dent/vet are heavily controlled by the government. Dentistry student place numbers are going to decrease by 10% this year!! A*AA standard offer soon my ucas advisor at school thinks

It really is more complex than that, as I've mentioned before (interviews, extra tests, early submission, emphasis on EC's).
Original post by ando181
Lmfao, its all the asians sending their kids off to get medical/dental degrees lol

Yeah I know a few in Romania.
Original post by ando181
Did you not have dentistry applicants at your school?

I forgot to mention dentistry. In my year no-one applied to dentistry (1 person applied for veterinary science, a load of people for medicine) but I have no idea about previous/future years.
Original post by ParetoOptimum
It really is more complex than that, as I've mentioned before (interviews, extra tests, early submission, emphasis on EC's).

Well yes but its that complex due to the level of competition. Pharmacy is a similarly difficult degree/career to being a dentist doctor or vet but it doesnt require NEARLY as much preparation or academic grades because the level of competition isnt as high
Original post by dire wolf
your literally stupid as hell

I've never seen the English language violated so much in so few words. Respect.
Original post by ParetoOptimum
I forgot to mention dentistry. In my year no-one applied to dentistry (1 person applied for veterinary science, a load of people for medicine) but I have no idea about previous/future years.

There are 80,000 medicine applicants for 8-9000 places and 10,000 dentistry applicants for 1,000 places. Thats probably why you havent met many dentistry applicants, i think theres a similar number of places for vets too
Original post by shahbaz
Yeah I know a few in Romania.

What were there a levels like? (Im assuming they had no chance of getting into medicine or dentistry in the UK)
Original post by ando181
There are 80,000 medicine applicants for 8-9000 places and 10,000 dentistry applicants for 1,000 places. Thats probably why you havent met many dentistry applicants, i think theres a similar number of places for vets too

Or maybe they just go to an all white school?
Original post by ando181
What were there a levels like? (Im assuming they had no chance of getting into medicine or dentistry in the UK)

Their dad was a doctor and he said less then ABC, he was trying to coerce me into following suit.
Original post by shahbaz
Their dad was a doctor and he said less then ABC, he was trying to coerce me into following suit.

lmfao.
Original post by ando181
lmfao.

You do have to pay up front though, even though I heard living is very cheap.
Original post by Le Nombre
Or maybe they just go to an all white school?

Its not just asians that apply to dentistry lol, theres plenty of white people. I'd say its the same ratio between white:asian medics and white:asian dentists
Original post by somethingunique
Agreed. Those courses ARE hardest to get into. Another thing, when people apply for the October deadline we have very little help/preparation/time to produce a great personal statement, in comparison to those working towards a January deadline. I remember there were all these workshops and programs held for January applicants. I began writing my personal statement in like July with very little idea as to what it is right/wrong. I also had very little experience and understanding as to how the UCAS thing works :frown:

Personal statements are easy to write if you're smart enough to become a doctor, dentist or vet. It really isn't hard to write about your work experience, why you want to do the course, what extra research you have done, what opportunities you'd like to pursue, etc. All it would take is a day to research the internet for material, and find a couple books you could talk about, then a few hours over a couple of days to draft and redraft.

If your school has to hold your hand when writing a personal statement and explaining how UCAS works, you have very little hope of coping on a course with an October deadline. Think for yourself, instead of having to be instructed to do basic things. Half an hour's googling would have explained to you how UCAS works.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ando181
Its not just asians that apply to dentistry lol, theres plenty of white people. I'd say its the same ratio between white:asian medics and white:asian dentists

To be fair got a mate called Patrick Ellington just graduated as a dentist. Though he's just called Pat El most of the time.
To be fair got a mate called Patrick Ellington just graduated as a dentist. Though he's just called Pat El most of the time.

Dat name.

prsom
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
Work experience just means giving some of your time, literally takes no physical or mental effort whatsoever

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you had any idea of the hoops you have to jump through to get work experience because I didn't have any 'contacts' to sort it for me... Plus I've no idea how getting to the other side of town via an hour's worth of public transport for 8am then not getting in until gone 7pm didn't require some effort on my part :')

Original post by arrow900
Good luck with your brain dead course.

Anyone with an ounce of intellectual ability and curiosity would immediately revolt to the idea of rote memorizing textbooks for 5-7 years of their life.

Before you come up with the awful excuse " but doctors have a billion a*'s at A level " just stop, grab a gun, and shoot yourself. A Levels don't count for **** when compared to doing research and studying a subject at its forefront, which you will never do seeing as you will repeatedly carry out work that has been done by hundreds before you.

I appreciate Doctors but I just find it frustrating when they are seen as intellectual God's. Rant over.

There is research being carried out at the forefront of medicine, by doctors, didn't you know? I'm not sure what course you're doing or where you're doing it, but I can guarantee that not everyone who graduates from there, with that degree will go into academia.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrSupernova
If you had any idea of the hoops you have to jump through to get work experience because I didn't have any 'contacts' to sort it for me... Plus I've no idea how getting to the other side of town via an hour's worth of public transport for 8am then not getting in until gone 7pm didn't require some effort on my part :')

There is research being carried out at the forefront of medicine, by doctors, didn't you know? I'm not sure what course you're doing or where you're doing it, but I can guarantee that not everyone who graduates from there, with that degree will go into academia.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I know that research is being done at the forefront of medicine but I would predict that this is ~5% of all licensed doctors, with most of the research being done by biomedicine graduates.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest