The Student Room Group

September 2014 Year 12 Thread

I thought it was time The Student Room's prospective Year 12's for this September, had their own thread - I haven't seen one yet.

Talk about and discuss your AS Levels, GCSE Results, Subject Choices, Concerns, Sixth Form Choices and anything else you have on your mind regarding A-Levels and your Sixth.

Enjoy!

----------------------------------------------

I chose: History, English Literature, Biology and Philosophy & Ethics.
I am going to aim for 4 A's. I'm on OCR for Biology and Philosophy & AQA for History and English Literature.
I'm hoping​ for A's and A*'s in relevant subjects at GCSE and some in some irrelevant ones such as Textiles Technology. I applied to over 8 sixth forms and got into most, I confirmed my place at a sixth in the top 20 of the UK's independent sixth form colleges league tables. I can't wait! I'm hoping to start learning Violin or Cello whilst there and I would like to apply to Cambridge for History or A-SNC and some American/Canadian Universities, also.
Reply 1
Well, I chose Maths, Further Maths, English Literature and Economics. I also want 4 A's and I'm aiming to try and get 90% or more in my exams. My GCSEs, to be honest I'm confident of getting B's and above but I don't really know how I did, there are days I feel like I did really well and days where I feel like I just did horribly. I'm still contemplating between two sixth forms and I really really really want to end up at London School of Economics to study finance & accounting :biggrin: During my two years I want to find work experience in my aspiring field.
Reply 2
Original post by rend
Well, I chose Maths, Further Maths, English Literature and Economics. I also want 4 A's and I'm aiming to try and get 90% or more in my exams. My GCSEs, to be honest I'm confident of getting B's and above but I don't really know how I did, there are days I feel like I did really well and days where I feel like I just did horribly. I'm still contemplating between two sixth forms and I really really really want to end up at London School of Economics to study finance & accounting :biggrin: During my two years I want to find work experience in my aspiring field.

Awesome. I really have my heart set on Cambridge. I'm not sure what sort of things I can do to enhance my experience with History? Like, what I can do around it related to it because it just isn't totally possible to take off for the day to sites of heritage and so on... costs money and I can't drive so. Hmmmm. Any ideas?
Reply 3
Helloooooooooooooo!

My AS level choices are the same as yours (as you know :wink:)
English lit
History
Biology
RS (philosophy basically)- bit stuck on this option as I may swap it for Art. :confused:
EPQ

I might take 5 including the Art and drop whatever subject I end up hating. :biggrin:
I've applied to a few sixth forms around London but I'm probably going to stay at my school as it is one of the top in my borough, although I'm a bit fed up of the atmosphere. :unimpressed:

Hoping to secure the *s in subjects that I'm taking further and have the dream to study Literature/History at Durham or maybe Cambridge (one can dream!)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Gorwell
Helloooooooooooooo!

My AS level choices are the same as yours (as you know :wink:)
English lit
History
Biology
RS (philosophy basically)- bit stuck on this option as I may swap it for Art. :confused:
EPQ

I might take 5 including the Art and drop whatever subject I end up hating. :biggrin:
I've applied to a few sixth forms around London but I'm probably going to stay at my school as it is one of the top in my borough, although I'm a bit fed up of the atmosphere. :unimpressed:

Hoping to secure the *s in subjects that I'm taking further and have the dream to study Literature/History at Durham or maybe Cambridge (one can dream!)

Why hi there :P!

RS is a very good subject for Literature and History - most politicians in parliament have a philosophy related degree. Just thought I'd spice up your knowledge and aid a decision ;D!

Brilliant. I could not stay at my school I hated it.

I would like A*'s at A2 in History and Philosophy but if I can, in all of my A2's.

We're so similar... Durham is my second choice.
Reply 5
Original post by JayJay-C19
Why hi there :P!

RS is a very good subject for Literature and History - most politicians in parliament have a philosophy related degree. Just thought I'd spice up your knowledge and aid a decision ;D!

Brilliant. I could not stay at my school I hated it.

I would like A*'s at A2 in History and Philosophy but if I can, in all of my A2's.

We're so similar... Durham is my second choice.

Thank you Star :tongue:
I started developing hatred for my school over the last year but I think I'd struggle with changing everything, most of my friends are moving away which sucks, or going off to uni. :frown: So it's not staying for friends, I think it's just knowing the place and getting straight into work that's keeping me here!

I reaaaaaaally want one in Literature as I've loved the subject since forever aha. :biggrin: I'm sure you'll do great!
Reply 6
Ive chosen Biology, Chemistry, Maths and PE (also hoping to do EPQ at the end of AS). I'm really hoping to get A's in them but I've read other peoples stories and I feel like I can't set myself a target based on my GCSEs; instead its down to how much work I put in, so i hope i stay motivated!

But I don't know what I want to do, I'd love to do something with medicine however I don't know if I'm good enough and I don't know what careers there are apart from the obvious ones like doctor etc.

Are you all doing anything to prepare yourselves for September based on your subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Gorwell
Thank you Star :tongue:
I started developing hatred for my school over the last year but I think I'd struggle with changing everything, most of my friends are moving away which sucks, or going off to uni. :frown: So it's not staying for friends, I think it's just knowing the place and getting straight into work that's keeping me here!

I reaaaaaaally want one in Literature as I've loved the subject since forever aha. :biggrin: I'm sure you'll do great!

See, knowing the place is fine but you may only feel like that for the first week then wish you didn't bother... I'd move on but it's up to you! This is me aha.

I've hated my school since year nine, they n e v e r . e v e r . appreciated me.x
Reply 8
Original post by J C
Ive chosen Biology, Chemistry, Maths and PE (also hoping to do EPQ at the end of AS). I'm really hoping to get A's in them but I've read other peoples stories and I feel like I can't set myself a target based on my GCSEs; instead its down to how much work I put in, so i hope i stay motivated!

But I don't know what I want to do, I'd love to do something with medicine however I don't know if I'm good enough and I don't know what careers there are apart from the obvious ones like doctor etc.

Are you all doing anything to prepare yourselves for September based on your subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Medical researcher, Scientist, Pharmacist, Paramedic, etc. :smile:

I am just reading really and I am going to look over my Biology textbook before admission. However, I work really hard during term time and can burn out by the end of it so I will spend most of my time freelancing and doing what I please.
Reply 9
See, knowing the place is fine but you may only feel like that for the first week then wish you didn't bother... I'd move on but it's up to you! This is me aha.

I've hated my school since year nine, they n e v e r . e v e r . appreciated me.x

That's true though, :smile: I have one sixth form as a backup just in case I decide on results day that the school isn't for me!
I know how you feel, worked so hard but not appreciated right? Ditto :redface: xx
Reply 10
Medical researcher, Scientist, Pharmacist, Paramedic, etc. :smile:

I am just reading really and I am going to look over my Biology textbook before admission. However, I work really hard during term time and can burn out by the end of it so I will spend most of my time freelancing and doing what I please.

Yeah, im hoping these next two years will highlight which branch of science/medicine I'd prefer to do.

I was ready to sleep for all these holidays, and now 3 weeks in and im getting a bit restless, i think i might make a trip to the local WHSmiths and buy an AS Maths guide just to see what ill be tackling for the next year😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Gorwell
That's true though, :smile: I have one sixth form as a backup just in case I decide on results day that the school isn't for me!
I know how you feel, worked so hard but not appreciated right? Ditto :redface: xx

YES. I remember in year 9 I got a Level 8 in English and I had in year 8 too and yet who got the years English award? Someone who hates it and messed around and couldn't even spell... I would know, she was in my form and class.
Reply 12
Original post by J C

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you're doing sciences and maths which gives you a bit of options for your future and tbh as long as you put the hard work in from the beginning then you should be more than good enough and as for preparation, I've started learning C1 for maths and hope to finish it before September so that I can get a head start on C2 as well and during that I will be reading some of my English Literature books and poems so yeah, I have crazy expectations for these 2 years :biggrin:.
Reply 13
Am I the only one who, whilst they enjoy a break, really just wants to get stuck in right now? Like, just start them?
Hey!
I'm so nervous for results day 😁 hoping for all As and A*s but I have a feeling my English language results may let me down 😔

I've chosen History, Maths, Biology and Chemistry for my A level options, I feel as I if I want to got down the science route but I don't want to be a doctor😁
I'm thinking more to the research side of things? I hope after these next 2 years I will have a clearer idea of what I want to continue studying at university ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I've chosen Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Physics. I'm hoping to do Medicine at uni. I don't really care about what grades I get as long as they're good enough to get me into uni :tongue:
Reply 16
Am I the only one who, whilst they enjoy a break, really just wants to get stuck in right now? Like, just start them?

No! I really feel like this and I dont really know why, I sort of want a head start and feel like these next two years will be so hard that i may aswell use my time wisely, which im not doing right now :lolwut: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by sophiewantstheA*
Hey!
I'm so nervous for results day ������ hoping for all As and A*s but I have a feeling my English language results may let me down ������

I've chosen History, Maths, Biology and Chemistry for my A level options, I feel as I if I want to got down the science route but I don't want to be a doctor������
I'm thinking more to the research side of things? I hope after these next 2 years I will have a clearer idea of what I want to continue studying at university ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can I just say, your username is awesome aha.

I know the feeling - I want top grades but I am seriously doubting some even though I also know that I didn't do badly so it's still a possibility yet I just feel so against the idea of me doing well in that subject/them subjects.

I never felt like this waiting for last years; I guess it's because a lot more is riding on these. I'm very anxious for the results, as you are.
Reply 18
Original post by J C
No! I really feel like this and I dont really know why, I sort of want a head start and feel like these next two years will be so hard that i may aswell use my time wisely, which im not doing right now :lolwut: :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

YES! I thought I was the only one aha. I really want to get in and go for it. I have a personal aim to be top of at least one of my classes (history) and I'm going to try to be top of the class in the rest ;D! Good considering my classes are 6-10 students maximum aha.
Please use the year 11 thread for now: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2474196

Latest