The Student Room Group

Going to uni when you're in a relationship

My boyfriend and I will be going to university next year, and luckily we've both always wanted to study in London, so won't be too far apart. However, at the moment we spend lots of time together as we're at the same sixth-form and spend most weekends together.

Have any of you gone to uni when you have a long term boyfriend/girlfriend? I've been with my boyfriend since November 2012 and we're happy, I'm just wondering how people find the transition from school to university, and how it affects their relationships.

Scroll to see replies

Good luck. You'll need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Good luck. You'll need it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if we're both in London? Everyone is always so negative! :frown:
Original post by libertinegirl96
Even if we're both in London? Everyone is always so negative! :frown:

it isn't just the distance, uni is a massive life change and that means people change, you can grow together or apart and unfortunately for a lot of people it's apart

however, there are people who have made it and there's no reason not to try :smile:
My boyfriend and I will be going to university next year, and luckily we've both always wanted to study in London, so won't be too far apart. However, at the moment we spend lots of time together as we're at the same sixth-form and spend most weekends together.

Have any of you gone to uni when you have a long term boyfriend/girlfriend? I've been with my boyfriend since November 2012 and we're happy, I'm just wondering how people find the transition from school to university, and how it affects their relationships.

Aww bless your naïveté. Come uni, you won't last 2 months :wink:
I don't know how things will be if you're living close together as it may be easier to meet up but for me personally the distance and him meeting all these new people (and girls) at university was the thing that ended my relationship. It's not nice to think of life without that person but life changes so much when you go to uni and you're so focused on your own life that you start drifting away from others so easily.

The majority of relationships I know of have ended over university distance but then are are a couple that have made it the first year and are looking pretty strong so there's always hope!

Good luck
Reply 7
If your love is strong, it will last. You have to believe in it. If it doesn't then it simply wasn't meant to be. Best of lucky for both you and your boyfriend and have fun in uni!!!! :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Aww bless your naïveté. Come uni, you won't last 2 months :wink:

... Aww bless your anonymity :wink:

I'll have this decision to face in a year... not looking forward to it...

I was talking to a friend who went to Leeds and whose boyfriend went to Newcastle. They lasted the 3 years and she said it was fine. She said a lot of her uni friends had broking up with their boyfriends before coming to uni just because it seems like the 'thing to do' or that it would be too hard to keep it, and ended up being really unhappy or getting back together after a while. Her advice was to at least give it a try -and I'd second that!
Nothing's impossible if you believe in yourself! (and each other)
At my sixth form, out of the couples we had, about half stayed together and half have broken up by now (I'm at the end of my first year of uni). Honestly, the ones who broke up and ones who didn't were quite predictable. If you see each other often and you're very close, it shouldn't break it.

There's a lot of crappy replies in this thread...
A lot of people I know who started uni in relationships broke up soon after. Having said that, I also have a few friends who are still with the person they were with before uni and they seem fine! One friend went to uni in the same city as her boyfriend which probably helped, but they didn't live together and still had their own lives too, and they've survived barely seeing each other during her year abroad. Another went to uni in Durham while her boyfriend stayed at home in Yorkshire and they're doing just fine too. I have another friend whose relationship ended when his girlfriend who was a year younger started at the same uni, but they'd been having problems for a few months and it was most likely going to happen anyway.

As long as you're both committed to making it work and make sure you make time to see each other, I don't see why it wouldn't work out for you! It's definitely worth a try anyway, and being in the same city will probably make it easier. My view is that if going to uni ends your relationship then it probably wasn't meant to be anyway. Good luck :smile:
My boyfriend and I survived his first year and I'm in France atm, meeting lots of new people and doing new things and we're both still very happy together. I'll be going to uni in September, but the train ticket is £40 instead of £80 to see each other, which makes a difference. Skype and Facebook have helped a great deal and we make the most of the time we have when we're both at home :smile:
Reply 14

Oh my gad! We are very similar me and my girlfriend also started going out in November of 2012 (same sixth form), plus we will both be going different unis in London so we wont be far either! :smile:

I am also curious with how relationships work out during university... I hope both our relationships work out during this period though :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
If you both want it to work then make it happen :smile:
uni is the start of a new kind of life you just need to make sure you're in each others
Reply 17
From what I've seen usually, but not always, there is a break up
Thank you everyone! :smile: I'm excited!
oooool

Latest

Trending

Trending