The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I didnt know that 9-11 year olds could be 'militants' or 'terrorists' especially those playing football on the BEACH. I didnt know the mentally disabled posed a threat to Israel and a centre for them should therefore be DESTROYED. Disgusting by Israel, only people have no morals could even consider this justifiable. What makes Hamas a terrorist organisation i wonder? Resisting occupation of their land? Mainstream media seem to distort the truth as palestinians have no sort of defence system or the kind of cash injection Israel gets. Did you know Israelis can download an app to be alert about the location of the nearest rocket... also the ceasefire was a PR stunt if it took you to long to realise!
Israeli airstrikes targetting power lines, water infastructure, mosques and even a disabled center. Are you still going to suggest that they're defending themselves or that they're targetting Hamas members? http://www.imemc.org/article/68442

In other news, Egypt initative seems to promote Israeli interest rather than anything remotely fair: http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/hamas-did-not-reject-ceasefire-israel-did
Original post by HeavyTeddy
Israeli airstrikes targetting power lines, water infastructure, mosques and even a disabled center. Are you still going to suggest that they're defending themselves or that they're targetting Hamas members? http://www.imemc.org/article/68442

In other news, Egypt initative seems to promote Israeli interest rather than anything remotely fair: http://electronicintifada.net/blogs/ali-abunimah/hamas-did-not-reject-ceasefire-israel-did

Lets not forget the killing of children on the beach. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/07/16/dispatch-israeli-strike-kills-four-children-at-a-gaza-beach/ No reports of recent rockets being fired but the beach is shelled anyway? Hmmm

No doubt the terrorist sympathizers on the thread will justify this somehow. :h:

I hope the liberals in Egypt are happy. Lovely little government they kicked in. Oh well, traitors gna be traitors. Anyways ;L
When Israeli forces ask Palestinians in Gaza to evacuate their homes, where would they like them to go? It's 36km, highly populated, and even areas like schools are not safe (even the UN school Al-Fakhoora which was previously bombed with white phosphorus even though Israeli forces knew civilians were taking refuge inside). All the borders are closed. There is literally no escape for civilians, and this is demonstrated in the casualty statistics.

They were asked to go to Gaza city and given instructions on the exact neighbourhoods to stay out of.

I've seen the leaflet dropped.

They were also told they would be informed when it's safe to return.

Hamas instructed them all to stay put.
Original post by intheTSRspirit
Does too; do your homework.
Also, blockade conveniently overlooked.

You're either horribly misinformed, or you're mistaking Gaza and the West Bank.

Israel does not enter Gaza to arrest or raid homes.

There are occasional incursions into the buffer area to removed land mines planted there, but that's as far as it goes.

Please don't post complete disinformation.
Original post by IdeasForLife
Lets not forget the killing of children on the beach. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/07/16/dispatch-israeli-strike-kills-four-children-at-a-gaza-beach/ No reports of recent rockets being fired but the beach is shelled anyway? Hmmm

No doubt the terrorist sympathizers on the thread will justify this somehow. :h:

I hope the liberals in Egypt are happy. Lovely little government they kicked in. Oh well, traitors gna be traitors. Anyways ;L

Honestly, it's heartbreaking.

I'm just waiting for one of them to say "B-but Hamas fired rockets first!" as if that's justification for murdering innocent civilians. Hopefully, none of them will, after all it is the blessed month of Ramadan so who knows, maybe they'll have a change of heart InshaAllah.

Sissi the Snake and his administration behaving as per usual.
Original post by Chindits
They were asked to go to Gaza city and given instructions on the exact neighbourhoods to stay out of.

I've seen the leaflet dropped.

They were also told they would be informed when it's safe to return.

Hamas instructed them all to stay put.

Rubbish.

You've seen the leaftlets have you, where are these wonderful leaftlets that are supposedly being distributed?

Do you actually truly belief in this 'Hamas told them to stay' narrative? I find it hard to believe that an organisation that gives 90% of it's funds to hospitals and schools will allow their own citizens and neighbours to be bombed. I mean it's just ludicrous and without serious evidence nobody should listen to this nonsense.
I've heard about those warning strikes that the israelis use before a more powerful air strike to allow civilians to get to safety. Wouldn't this allow hamas to get to safety as well tho?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rubbish.

You've seen the leaftlets have you, where are these wonderful leaftlets that are supposedly being distributed?

You may get away with posting propaganda on here most of the time, but you won't get away with it whilst I'm online

Do you actually truly belief in this 'Hamas told them to stay' narrative? I find it hard to believe that an organisation that gives 90% of it's funds to hospitals and schools will allow their own citizens and neighbours to be bombed.

Hamas on the use of human shields - from the horses mouth

Hamas - "we are leading people to death"

I mean it's just ludicrous and without serious evidence nobody should listen to this nonsense.

From Al Jazeera

For your own safety, you must evacuate your homes now and at once go toward central Gaza. You have until 8 a.m. on Wednesday It is forbidden that you go back to the areas cited above until further notice,” the warning said.

Hamas called the orders “psychological warfare” and urged residents to stay in their homes, the Palestinian news website Maan News reported. On Sunday, Israel warned residents of Beit Lahiya in northern Gaza to leave, causing at least 17,000 civilians to seek shelter in United Nations installations.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/7/16/gaza-evacuation-israel.html
Original post by QuantumSuicide
I've heard about those warning strikes that the israelis use before a more powerful air strike to allow civilians to get to safety. Wouldn't this allow hamas to get to safety as well tho?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They use several warnings.

First comes either a phone call or a text. This can come between 5mins or hours before a strike.

Here is an example.

Then before striking the target, they use a blank 'mortar' which creates a large bang. This is the warning to say the strike is imminent.

Around 1min later the strike comes.

This is why there are so many videos around of them striking buildings. The palestinians have time to set up cameras.

As for Hamas, yes, it does mean they get away - but Israel isn't going for individuals. It's going for the terrorist infrastructure.

If they happen to come across Hamas men about to fire a rocket, then of course they will strike - but so far they have gone after the buildings and weapons storage facilities.
They use several warnings.

First comes either a phone call or a text. This can come between 5mins or hours before a strike.

Here is an example.

Then before striking the target, they use a blank 'mortar' which creates a large bang. This is the warning to say the strike is imminent.

Around 1min later the strike comes.

This is why there are so many videos around of them striking buildings. The palestinians have time to set up cameras.

As for Hamas, yes, it does mean they get away - but Israel isn't going for individuals. It's going for the terrorist infrastructure.

If they happen to come across Hamas men about to fire a rocket, then of course they will strike - but so far they have gone after the buildings and weapons storage facilities.

So these air strikes are specifically targeting the builidings which they believe have weapons and stuff, and not the hamas fighters themselves? Ok, that makes more sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile
inshallah palestine will be free
Original post by QuantumSuicide
So these air strikes are specifically targeting the builidings which they believe have weapons and stuff, and not the hamas fighters themselves? Ok, that makes more sense.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, the aim is to stop the rockets.

You can't stop the rockets by targeting men really - as they have so many 'fighters' that launch rockets.

So the tactics are to try and hit rocket storages.

The problem is, they use civilian homes, mosques etc to hide them.

They don't ever seem to run out of rockets, but always claim to run out of everything humanitarian.

The Hamas leadership is currently located in a bunker under a hospital.

They're estimated to have around 20,000 rockets, They have fired around 1,400.

So a long way to go.
What needs to be done in Israel/Palestine:

1) UN to immediately impose a comprehensive arms embargo on Israel, Hamas and Palestinian armed groups with the aim of preventing further serious violations of international humanitarian law and human rights by the parties to the conflict. Pending such an embargo, all states must immediately suspend all transfers of military equipment, assistance and munitions to the parties, which have failed to properly investigate violations committed in previous conflicts or bring those responsible to justice. Perfectly reasonable because under international law it is illegal to transfer weapons to countries which are major violators of human rights.

2) UN to mandate an international independent fact-finding mission to Gaza and Israel to investigate violations of international humanitarian law by all parties to the conflict.

3) Imposition of sanctions on Israel until and unless it negotiates an end to the occupation according to international law.

These are opinions backed by the International Court of Justice. When apartheid South Africa occupied Namibia, in 1971 the Court stated that if South Africa did not engage in good-faith negotiations to end its occupation of Namibia, that occupation is illegal under international law. Israel has refused to engage in good-faith negotiations to end the occupation of Palestine just as in the case of Namibia and it is now an illegal occupier of Palestine and there should be comprehensive sanctions imposed on Israel until and unless it ends the occupation of Palestine under the terms of international law.
Original post by miavdbt
May I ask why when Israel warns people to evacuate (to UN shelters or out of the country if they want), they do not? Sure, a lot have, but a lot have not done so. They're remained in their homes basically waiting to be bombed even after repeated warnings.

Also, why is Hamas not doing anything to aid its civilians? Any government would tell its civilians to evacuate, to move to UN shelters if they do not have government ones. Yet, Hamas has made no efforts to evacuate these civilians, even going as far as ignoring a ceasefire deal that they were in no position to ignore IF they cared about their civilians.

Is it so that you can show us the pictures of dead civilian bodies and garner our sympathy, or is there some other reason that you could shed some light on?

Does it not strike you that there is something wrong with people being told to leave their homes immediately as all their possessions and shelter are about to be reduced to rubble (and them as well if their strong will or illness prevents them from leaving)?
Original post by Spaz Man
What needs to be done in Israel/Palestine:

1) UN to immediately impose a comprehensive arms embargo on Israel, Hamas and Palestinian armed groups with the aim of preventing further serious violations of international humanitarian law and human rights by the parties to the conflict. Pending such an embargo, all states must immediately suspend all transfers of military equipment, assistance and munitions to the parties, which have failed to properly investigate violations committed in previous conflicts or bring those responsible to justice. Perfectly reasonable because under international law it is illegal to transfer weapons to countries which are major violators of human rights.

2) UN to mandate an international independent fact-finding mission to Gaza and Israel to investigate violations of international humanitarian law by all parties to the conflict.

3) Imposition of sanctions on Israel until and unless it negotiates an end to the occupation according to international law.

These are opinions backed by the International Court of Justice. When apartheid South Africa occupied Namibia, in 1971 the Court stated that if South Africa did not engage in good-faith negotiations to end its occupation of Namibia, that occupation is illegal under international law. Israel has refused to engage in good-faith negotiations to end the occupation of Palestine just as in the case of Namibia and it is now an illegal occupier of Palestine and there should be comprehensive sanctions imposed on Israel until and unless it ends the occupation of Palestine under the terms of international law.

Laughably one-sided and ridiculous. Sorry. It's not within the realms of possibility and frankly you sound a bit wide-eyed.

I assume you want the same done with Turkey that illegally occupies Cyprus and has settlements there?

Strange how we never hear about that on the BBC :rolleyes:
Original post by castlemadeofsand
Does it not strike you that there is something wrong with people being told to leave their homes immediately as all their possessions and shelter are about to be reduced to rubble (and them as well if their strong will or illness prevents them from leaving)?

This is a war. The IDF can't hire removal vans and put on a taxi service for them. If the building is used for any military activity, it's a legitimate military target under international law. That's how it works.

They already go above and beyond what they need to do to minimise casualties.

Do you think the British army texts the Taliban before hitting their bases?

Do you think NATO makes phone calls to areas where Al Qaeda are operating and notifies people of incoming strikes?

Of course not.

It's one rule for everyone and a separate one for Israel it seems.
Original post by miavdbt
May I ask why when Israel warns people to evacuate (to UN shelters or out of the country if they want), they do not? Sure, a lot have, but a lot have not done so. They're remained in their homes basically waiting to be bombed even after repeated warnings.

Also, why is Hamas not doing anything to aid its civilians? Any government would tell its civilians to evacuate, to move to UN shelters if they do not have government ones. Yet, Hamas has made no efforts to evacuate these civilians, even going as far as ignoring a ceasefire deal that they were in no position to ignore IF they cared about their civilians.

Is it so that you can show us the pictures of dead civilian bodies and garner our sympathy, or is there some other reason that you could shed some light on?

Also, what relevance does this have to the picture that was sent. It showed 4 young boys playing in a vast open stretch showing that they were deliberately targeted for whatever reason.
Laughably one-sided and ridiculous. Sorry. It's not within the realms of possibility and frankly you sound a bit wide-eyed.

I assume you want the same done with Turkey that illegally occupies Cyprus and has settlements there?

Strange how we never hear about that on the BBC :rolleyes:

I haven't researched it as much but if the facts are similar then yes.

However, this thread is not dedicated to Cyprus and you knew that before replying.

Which part of it is unreasonable?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by castlemadeofsand
Also, what relevance does this have to the picture that was sent. It showed 4 young boys playing in a vast open stretch showing that they were deliberately targeted for whatever reason.

They were not 'deliberately targeted'. I am going to need you to provide reliable sources stating that Israel deliberately targeted four boys on a beach.

Latest

Trending

Trending