The Student Room Group

Fresher's Week Budget - How much??

Scroll to see replies

Original post by brownsugar-xx
Ah okay, that's good to know. Half of the £100 comes out of my first SAAS payment so it'll be £50 for the first 2/3 nights. Thanks! :smile:

I know you're not counting food in that but I'm afraid to say that unless you're not very sociable then £50 isn't going to go very far
Original post by orange crush
I know you're not counting food in that but I'm afraid to say that unless you're not very sociable then £50 isn't going to go very far

Well i don't drink that much if that's what your thinking, plus i'll have bought a wristband to get into events soon. If worst comes to worst i'll just use my overdraft.
So the payment comes a few days into freshers? That's not too bad, yeah I can budget it for the first few days

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marty_0
I'm trying to budget for the start of my university year and I dont have the slightest clue as to what I should budget for to spend on freshers week. What about past freshers.. what did you spend? and freshers this year coming - what do you think?

:smile:

I am planning on stocking up on vodka and other spirits to keep in my dorm for serious pre drinks. I won't have much money to take to freshers with me but my freshers only lasts for a week anyway as my course starts quite early. But i'd say just buy serious spirits and take them with you as a pre drink is always a good option!
Reply 24
Hey guys does anyone know what events will be on for freshers week?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Well that was a very nice response. Lots of informative and refreshing answers. Thanks guys :-)
Original post by crayon
Hey guys does anyone know what events will be on for freshers week?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It really depends on your university. Usually a lot of nights out/pub crawls etc. in the evenings but some events that don't involve drinking if that's not your thing. Ask on the thread for your university for the specifics!
FWIW - I spent £250 in freshers week. :3
I was only able to spend £20 during my Fresher's. I come from a low-income family, and at the uni where I was, I got my funding the week after Fresher's, otherwise I would have gone out a lot more often.
Original post by HannahH9055
Oh my god I am no where near gonna be able to take £300! I have a passport I use for ID Now but it's out of date but it works in my town in the clubs and my step dads a police officer and he says that they don't look at the valid date so I'm hoping it's the same in Warrington and Chester where I'm going

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't we just use uni ID? I don't have a drivers licence and I hate taking my passport out with me, scared I'll lose it
Original post by bananaminion
Can't we just use uni ID? I don't have a drivers licence and I hate taking my passport out with me, scared I'll lose it

No you cannot use any ID other than a PASS approved ID, Passport or Drivers licence. Spend the £50 now even if you don't drive. If you lose a driving licence it's £20 to replace opposed to a passport's stupidly high fees.
Original post by Clip
Wait, what?

Are you guys talking about £300-350 on going out; or are you talking about books and stuff?

Even for a real idiot, £350 sounds a lot on just going out and getting hammered. On the other hand, £350 on all the books, socs etc sounds very low.

The thread asked for freshers week as a whole... The £250 I spent during freshers week went towards a whole range of stuff...

A food shop (I drove to uni on my own so didn't have anyone to pay for it for me)

IKEA shop (I needed to pick up some more stuff as I was moving into a house instead of halls)

A wristband to get into places

£30-40 a night going out

Buying stuff at uni

Course materials

Edit: I also stopped off at my old uni on the way and hung out with them which involved going for lunches and buying stuff to eat from Tesco so that was about £40 too.

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Roving Fish
No you cannot use any ID other than a PASS approved ID, Passport or Drivers licence. Spend the £50 now even if you don't drive. If you lose a driving licence it's £20 to replace opposed to a passport's stupidly high fees.

Are PASS ones accepted everywhere then? Because they're only like 15 quid compared to 50 - and a provisional licence is acceptable right?
Are PASS ones accepted everywhere then? Because they're only like 15 quid compared to 50 - and a provisional licence is acceptable right?

Provisional licence is accepted everywhere and is preferable. PASS is also accepted everywhere legally, however they're a pain in the arse sometimes and some people have to argue that they should be accepted. :frown:
Original post by Roving Fish
Provisional licence is accepted everywhere and is preferable. PASS is also accepted everywhere legally, however they're a pain in the arse sometimes and some people have to argue that they should be accepted. :frown:

Ah ok thank you, will have to weigh it up I guess and spend some monies
Ah ok thank you, will have to weigh it up I guess and spend some monies

You can get ID'd for crazy things, for instance cutlery and the likes of - so definitely worth having. It'll be valid for a number of years too :biggrin:
Just get a provisional. You'll probably want one at some point anyway so may as well eat the cost just now.
Yeah won't we get some kind of student card that shows were at Uni that we can use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah won't we get some kind of student card that shows were at Uni that we can use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They won't be accepted in most places with a uni. Only actual ID.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Uni ID's won't be approved because not only are they not a legal form of identification but also because some people go to university at 17.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending