The Student Room Group

Company owes me refund but they're ignoring me. Can I sue them?

A well established company owes me a refund since 2012 of £500 for a deposit I paid. It was in the t&c's of the contract that I would get my deposit refunded in certain circumstances, which I fell under. The lady I spoke with in the finance department also verbally and in an email said she'll refund me.

Since then I've been ignored by every dept and staff member I've tried to contact. I got mega annoyed and gave up.

But I want MY money back that they have no right to keep! I threatened to sue them two years ago but they ignored me and I was out of the country so didn't really have the time nor patience.

What shall I do?
Reply 1
Go to your local CAB and ask for their advice and if they agree with me in the fact that you should take them to the small claims court then get them to help you fill the forms in.

You can also do it online, it's called 'moneyclaim online' I think. It costs £25 but I think if you have verbal agreement and it's in their Ts and Cs then you have a clear case.

You might want to double check they haven't paid you, though as it would be £25 down the drown if you overlooked it.
Reply 2
Original post by lee1985
Go to your local CAB and ask for their advice and if they agree with me in the fact that you should take them to the small claims court then get them to help you fill the forms in.

You can also do it online, it's called 'moneyclaim online' I think. It costs £25 but I think if you have verbal agreement and it's in their Ts and Cs then you have a clear case.

You might want to double check they haven't paid you, though as it would be £25 down the drown if you overlooked it.

Thank you for the info. And they definitely haven't paid me, and it infuriates me even more that they ignored all my calls/emails. I will gather all my papers and speak to someone to get this ball rolling. Thanks again
Original post by Sizzzla112
Thank you for the info. And they definitely haven't paid me, and it infuriates me even more that they ignored all my calls/emails. I will gather all my papers and speak to someone to get this ball rolling. Thanks again

What do you mean they ignored you? Do they not even pick up or do they just put the phone down when they know it's you?

Try from a different phone number?
Reply 4
Original post by Runninground
What do you mean they ignored you? Do they not even pick up or do they just put the phone down when they know it's you?

Try from a different phone number?

The customer service dept do answer but when I ask to be put through to the finance dept they say they can only get my details and get someone to call me back, which never happens. I went through a phase when I hounded them with calls and emails everyday for a few weeks but they probably thought I was a psycho. It's been over a year since my last contact now, and I gave them many many chances to pay me the £500, so I'll be suing them for more for breaching their t&c's and stress.
Reply 5
Good luck man! You can make a lot of money by suing companies.

The more 'stress' you say it's caused the more $$$ :cool:
Reply 6
Original post by cdude
Good luck man! You can make a lot of money by suing companies.

The more 'stress' you say it's caused the more $$$ :cool:

Haha, lets hope so.. the thing is i genuinely suffer from stress, anxiety and depression, although i don't know if they'd believe me as i don't see anyone about it. either way, i want my dough back!
The first thing I would like to inform you that it is totally foolish to discuss any money related issue totally verbally. You had to take all these information in written. Anyways, as you said you have a guarantee of refund in a email, then you should go to the company's office and show them the email. Try to clear each and everything. If they are not agree with you, then you should sue them.
Reply 8
Original post by Sizzzla112
A well established company owes me a refund since 2012 of £500 for a deposit I paid. It was in the t&c's of the contract that I would get my deposit refunded in certain circumstances, which I fell under. The lady I spoke with in the finance department also verbally and in an email said she'll refund me.

Since then I've been ignored by every dept and staff member I've tried to contact. I got mega annoyed and gave up.

But I want MY money back that they have no right to keep! I threatened to sue them two years ago but they ignored me and I was out of the country so didn't really have the time nor patience.

What shall I do?

Send them a letter of complaint informing them that if they don't pay you back you are going to sue them. Formal complaints are taken far more seriously than verbal complaints or verbal communication. If they don't reply or reply but don't pay you then send them to court. I think it'll make your case stronger since you would have actually tried formal communication.
Original post by Rlove95
Send them a letter of complaint informing them that if they don't pay you back you are going to sue them. Formal complaints are taken far more seriously than verbal complaints or verbal communication. If they don't reply or reply but don't pay you then send them to court. I think it'll make your case stronger since you would have actually tried formal communication.

This - but you have to give them 14 days to reply before you can sue them (it's in the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct). See the Which? site on how to write such a letter; they've got a useful template with all of this stuff. :yy:
Reply 10
Original post by Blackacre
This - but you have to give them 14 days to reply before you can sue them (it's in the Practice Direction on Pre-Action Conduct). See the Which? site on how to write such a letter; they've got a useful template with all of this stuff. :yy:

Original post by Rlove95

Original post by DavidCarpent
The first thing I would like to inform you that it is totally foolish to discuss any money related issue totally verbally. You had to take all these information in written. Anyways, as you said you have a guarantee of refund in a email, then you should go to the company's office and show them the email. Try to clear each and everything. If they are not agree with you, then you should sue them.

Thanks guys, I actually did send a 'formal' letter giving them two weeks to pay, along with an invoice, their t&c's and proof I was owed money. They ignored it. I didn't have any money to take legal action, but i'm now going to do it seriously.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending