The Student Room Group

Biology or Biomedical sciences?

Can you tell, which is more interesting, more useful in life and when I finished courses, which sciences will ensure that I will have a job? Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Er, mate the courses are VEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRYYYYYY different.
What kind of job do you want?
Reply 2
Original post by Scienceisgood
Er, mate the courses are VEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRYYYYYY different.
What kind of job do you want?

I don't really know, but tend to laboratory :smile:
Going by you wanting to work in a lab, I take it you either want to do something involving biotechnology or micro-biology, am I right?
Reply 4
Original post by ModestaBee
Can you tell, which is more interesting, more useful in life and when I finished courses, which sciences will ensure that I will have a job? Thank you :smile:

Biology..make sure its accredited.

From a Biomedical background, I can tell you will be messed up if you that.
Reply 5
It is so hard to explain, when I don't really know what I want. My excuses. Can you just tell, what biomedical scientist do?
They'll both get you (different) jobs if you work hard. Which areas of biology do you like the most? If you want to work in a lab I suggest you research all the possible areas.

I'll be reading biology at uni in September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Kasa
Biology..make sure its accredited.

From a Biomedical background, I can tell you will be messed up if you that.

Thank you
Also, if you want to know about which will most likely land you in a job, look at the uni employment section of the said uni website (depending where you want to go/end up).
Cambridge has some 85% of its graduates in a career within six months of graduating. <-- only reason I chose cambridge is because was the first thing on the uni league tables... =)
Reply 9
Original post by Moonstruck16
They'll both get you (different) jobs if you work hard. Which areas of biology do you like the most? If you want to work in a lab I suggest you research all the possible areas.

I'll be reading biology at uni in September :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I like from animals, nature to genetics and cellular biology. Which university did you choose?
I like from animals, nature to genetics and cellular biology. Which university did you choose?

If that's what you like, I would STRONGLY advise biology because it goes with the micro and macro systems. =)
Do a degree you like/enjoy and not one you want to do for money. :smile:
Reply 11
Also, if you want to know about which will most likely land you in a job, look at the uni employment section of the said uni website (depending where you want to go/end up).
Cambridge has some 85% of its graduates in a career within six months of graduating. <-- only reason I chose cambridge is because was the first thing on the uni league tables... =)

So you study hard and well I think so. But I am not as good as you. I will have to choose university from a lower position
Reply 12
If that's what you like, I would STRONGLY advise biology because it goes with the micro and macro systems. =)
Do a degree you like/enjoy and not one you want to do for money. :smile:

Thank you. The more time I spend searching for informations about those two sciences, the more I want to study biology. But there is one more hard decision, what uni I should choose
So you study hard and well I think so. But I am not as good as you. I will have to choose university from a lower position

Just saying chose a uni which appeals to you (you want to go there because you want to study there), a reasonable employment rate and do a course you will enjoy (example, people do medicine because they want the money and others because they want to help others and enjoy the subject, the later is the right option, chose the first and you won't like it at all...).

Thank you. The more time I spend searching for informations about those two sciences, the more I want to study biology. But there is one more hard decision, what uni I should choose

What grades are you expecting and what courses are you doing?
Reply 14
Just saying chose a uni which appeals to you (you want to go there because you want to study there), a reasonable employment rate and do a course you will enjoy (example, people do medicine because they want the money and others because they want to help others and enjoy the subject, the later is the right option, chose the first and you won't like it at all...).

What grades are you expecting and what courses are you doing?

Of course, I expect as high as I can, but I won't predict anything. It is really hard to pass the exams well in Lithuania. But still, I am working hard. It is summer and I am learning, reading biology. I want that all informations will sink into my head. I don't want to study biology because of money. It is not me. I always wanted something that I can enjoy.
Of course, I expect as high as I can, but I won't predict anything. It is really hard to pass the exams well in Lithuania. But still, I am working hard. It is summer and I am learning, reading biology. I want that all informations will sink into my head. I don't want to study biology because of money. It is not me. I always wanted something that I can enjoy.

I don't know what the Lithuanian grading systems like, sorry (I believe it is graded on numbers 1-10 but, that's only because I think I remember someone else in your position making a thread similar to yours).

So, without knowing the grade entry requirements, I can't help in that aspect because I don't know what the uni will want.
Example - I don't know how Reading Uni's entry requirements would translate to your grading system...

http://www.reading.ac.uk/study/ug/biologicalsciencesbsc.aspx
Reply 16
I don't know what the Lithuanian grading systems like, sorry (I believe it is graded on numbers 1-10 but, that's only because I think I remember someone else in your position making a thread similar to yours).

So, without knowing the grade entry requirements, I can't help in that aspect because I don't know what the uni will want.
Example - I don't know how Reading Uni's entry requirements would translate to your grading system...

http://www.reading.ac.uk/study/ug/biologicalsciencesbsc.aspx

Still, thank you for helping :smile:

Don't do either.

Go for biology.

I'll hopefully be studying at UCL; MSci Biological Sciences :smile:

Where would you like to study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Don't do either.

Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending