The Student Room Group

Michael Gove axed as Education Secretary

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Let's start with.... before we go on to look at things like the impact of restricting teacher selection to those who can speak Welsh fluently.
Source: http://wales.gov.uk/statistics-and-research/local-authortiy-budgets-education/?lang=en

Average spend per pupil on local authority education in Wales in 2009-10 was £5,595. This compares to £6,200 in England (£6,007 excluding London).

They are both clearly Welsh government policy.
Original post by nulli tertius
They are both clearly Welsh government policy.

Policy? Or the inevitable structural result of devolution and a move away from the Barnett formula, which used to make up this gap and equalise things more?

I would guess that the Assembly simply has less resources available to spend than would be spent on the equivalent population elsewhere. Wales is being deprived by central government of resources.
Original post by djpailo
So you remove someone you feel is inadequate for the role and then hire someone new who has zero experience. Right...

It's David Cameron talk for "teachers don't like Gove and I want their vote. He's fired".
Policy? Or the inevitable structural result of devolution and a move away from the Barnett formula, which used to make up this gap and equalise things more?

I would guess that the Assembly simply has less resources available to spend than would be spent on the equivalent population elsewhere. Wales is being deprived by central government of resources.

Hang on, public expenditure on the Welsh is now a grand per head more than on the English. Wales chooses not to spend that money on schools.
I appreciate his determination to bring the rigorousness back into the education system as some other people have said, I personally didn't hate the guy like some other people did, hate is a strong view anyway. I also think he is one of the few politicians who speaks clearly and is a good speaker in general when he is on television and I like him for that. I think he will be well suited for the job of chief whip I can see him doing well.

Although I get the impression he was moved because Cameron knew of peoples dislike of him and thought that moving him would make people perhaps more likely to vote conservative in the next general election knowing Gove wasn't in his education role, if so I think this was a bad decision but I'm also not denying it was a smart move, after all who wouldn't want to increase their chances of winning the general election being it coming close to the time now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by DaveSmith99
:rofl: Could there be a worse role possible for Gove?

I think he is a good speaker on television, definitely better than the majority of politicians. I think it's a good role for him.
Original post by nulli tertius
Hang on, public expenditure on the Welsh is now a grand per head more than on the English. Wales chooses not to spend that money on schools.

Most of that difference goes to social care and benefits, because Wales is poorer than the UK average. The Welsh Assembly does not control those areas of expenditure.
http://www.clickonwales.org/2012/07/wales-breaks-10000-spending-per-head-barrier/
People thinking that Gove was some sort of passionate and genuine advocate of real change in the state school system should think again. He was solely interested in the votes of various groups who felt deprived of their 'choice' of education - in many cases (as vividly shown on C4 last night) this means racist or reactionary and bigoted 'religious' education. Basically the Tory approach is to reach out to religious groups by giving them the schools they want, therefore setting Britain up for decades or centuries of internal religious warfare. After all, it worked so well for Northern Ireland.

It wasn't just the Tories; faith schools have multi-party (and much public) support, to my immense dismay. (In fact, it was Blair's government which introduced them IIRC). The danger which you mention comes from not teaching pupils to be proud of the West; the inclusive civilisation. That should be our universal identity as human beings, or we are destined for what you suggest.

Of course, some faith schools are worse than others, because not all religious values are the same. Some are more inclusive and tolerant than others. Some are less proselytising than others.
Original post by Ruffiio
I think he is a good speaker on television, definitely better than the majority of politicians. I think it's a good role for him.

But as you said in your post above, people hate him. You don't make one of your most hated MP's the public face of your campaign.

One of the reasons why people dislike him so much is his overbearing, abrasive and arrogant manner, this doesn't come across well on TV.
Michael Gove's wife has hit out at Cameron's sacking in a tweet. The Daily Mail are very unhappy too with Max Hastings writing a scathing blog - a "shabby day's work which Cameron will live to regret".
Original post by Numberwang
Michael Gove's wife has hit out at Cameron's sacking in a tweet. The Daily Mail are very unhappy too with Max Hastings writing a scathing blog - a "shabby day's work which Cameron will live to regret".

But are either of these things at all surprising? When is the Daily Mail ever happy about anything? And why would Gove's wife not be annoyed when Gove has been cut out for the image of the party?
Original post by Jammy Duel
But are either of these things at all surprising? When is the Daily Mail ever happy about anything? And why would Gove's wife not be annoyed when Gove has been cut out for the image of the party?

But he's been promoted to Chief Whip!... :wink:

keeping him out of the public eye where he isn't really allowed to think for himself or, in the eyes of the public, cock things up.

That's a pretty big demotion, not a promotion.
We have a real problem when employers don't respect the grades people get at A level and GCSE and laugh at the titles and content of the "degrees" so many are doing.

As many have said, Gove has gone for sound political reasons. You can't change much if you are not in government.
Original post by Baldness
We have a real problem when employers don't respect the grades people get at A level and GCSE

Which are widely irrelevant, especially given it will mostly be unskilled or very low skill labourers.

and laugh at the titles and content of the "degrees" so many are doing.

Maybe the student should have done a proper degree then

As many have said, Gove has gone for sound political reasons. You can't change much if you are not in government.

Yeah, he's been through and done what was necessary, now that that is done you move him out and hope the hatred goes with him, and bring in a new face to try to make people like the Education Secretary again.
I honestly could not be more happy to see that Michael Gove is out. He was basically using Year 11 as a "guinea pig" year, changing all sorts in the way we were taught, and the way in which we were examined. I know little about Nicky Morgan, but any change seems to be good for the education system :smile:

Good riddance, Gove :h:
Reply 217
I actually really liked what he tried to do to vocational qualifications (Tech Levels) - slashing useless ones (ones not backed by industry) and requiring exams (IMO can be practical exams) for the remaining ones to make them more respectable. I hope this approach is continued. The Tech Bac (Tech Level + Level 3 Maths + Extended Project) is also a very good idea and I hope it won't be axed now.
Michael Gove can suck and choke on a fat one. My mum's a secondary school teacher and I'm a student, add up our dislike for him and it's alot...now add our delight now that he's been demoted! JOY
Vast majority of his time in charge was one calamity after another. I worked in education previously and both my parents spent their entire careers teaching at secondary level. All my past colleagues and my parents hated everything about the man.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending