The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Med_medine
May I ask when do current international conditional offer holders who met their grades in January 2014 exams change to unconditional and when do they usually receive their CAS number?

Thank you very much

Posted from TSR Mobile

This will vary between colleges. Some will do it as soon as the results come in and others will wait until the bulk of the results arrive in August. You will get sent the CAS details once your offer has been changed to unconditional and this is after all conditions (including IELTS if appropriate) have been met.
This is for medicine:

If I am doing 5 subjects chem, bio, physics, maths and further maths. Which 3 subjects will be chosen to be taken as an average for UMS average.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
We will calculate your averages from the best 3 and best 4 scores regardless of when the exams were taken.

Thank you for your help. Also are you allowed to get feedback on your interview and find out what scores you achieved. Thanks again.
Original post by itsallokay
This is for medicine:

If I am doing 5 subjects chem, bio, physics, maths and further maths. Which 3 subjects will be chosen to be taken as an average for UMS average.

It would be (Maths & Further Maths combined), Chemistry and Biology.
Original post by nadinepierce
Thank you for your help. Also are you allowed to get feedback on your interview and find out what scores you achieved. Thanks again.

All colleges proviide feedback to unsuccessful applicants if they request it. Some provide eedback to all unsuccessful candidates as a matter of course. It is usually sent to the UCAS referee who can then disseminate it to the student.

It is important to stress thhat feedback is on the whole application and not just the interview, the interview is not the most important part of the application.

Most colleges don't give interview scores in feedback, though you may find the odd one that does.
Do all colleges have a DoS in law?

On Pembroke's website, on the law undergraduate page, it says that they have an essay club where the DoS helps students individually twice a week with their essays and that the DoS makes himself available at any time in the final term for revision help. On other colleges' websites, it does not mention anything of the sorts. Is this because they do not offer as much support or does every college offer this much support?

What does 'preparatory study at interview' entail? I am aware that Christ do not use a preparatory study but many other colleges do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Undisclosed 15
Do all colleges have a DoS in law?

On Pembroke's website, on the law undergraduate page, it says that they have an essay club where the DoS helps students individually twice a week with their essays and that the DoS makes himself available at any time in the final term for revision help. On other colleges' websites, it does not mention anything of the sorts. Is this because they do not offer as much support or does every college offer this much support?

What does 'preparatory study at interview' entail? I am aware that Christ do not use a preparatory study but many other colleges do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All colleges have a DoS in all (and indeed in all subjects). Theyare all available to help students with their choices and will often teach them directly and beyond that to give them help with preparation for exams. The Pembroke DoS sounds very conscientious but it is within a spectrum of what DoSes will do for their students. Just because it isn't mentioned on other college websites, it doesn't mean that DoS at other collges are not similar things or other things which are different but just as helpful.

A preparatory study will be something you are given to read before the interview and will discuss it during the interview. Sometimes in Law, students are sent things well in advance of the interview, often a journal article or two with opposing viewpoints on a legal issue. More frequently students are given short pieces of writing, perhaps a judgement or a piece of statute law to discuss. No one expects prior knowledge and what we are looking for is how the student reacts to it and how they think through the questions we ask them.
(edited 9 years ago)
It would be (Maths & Further Maths combined), Chemistry and Biology.

I did 9 maths modules so would they average over all them or just the 6 modules?
I did 9 maths modules so would they average over all them or just the 6 modules?

All
If i were to apply with AS grades like DDDE, would the admission tutors laugh at my application and chuck it in the bin after looking at it for 1 second

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QuantumSuicide
If i were to apply with AS grades like DDDE, would the admission tutors laugh at my application and chuck it in the bin after looking at it for 1 second

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doubt they'd even spare a second :tongue:

_

Do you have automatic filters? Like anything below CCC even with extenuating circumstances?

All Maths modules form part of the average. With retakes, we use the higher mark.
Original post by QuantumSuicide

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't advise applying to Cambridge with those grades. You would be rejected before interview and it's a waste of an application. You do get a fair few applcations every year that are entirely unrealistic - the feeling is more sadness than laughter. The candidate obviously wants to aspire to the highest level but their aspirations do not match their attainment.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Doubt they'd even spare a second :tongue:

_

Do you have automatic filters? Like anything below CCC even with extenuating circumstances?

No automatic filters, I read them all.
I wouldn't advise applying to Cambridge with those grades. You would be rejected before interview and it's a waste of an application. You do get a fair few applcations every year that are entirely unrealistic - the feeling is more sadness than laughter. The candidate obviously wants to aspire to the highest level but their aspirations do not match their attainment.

At least you can say that you applied to cambridge. That in itself is quite prestigious and something which the vast majority of the population cannot say themselves. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
No automatic filters, I read them all.

Scary, you'll be reading my application... And seeing as I'll be asking after results day, you'll know it's me because no one will have the same spread of grades at GCSE that I do.

:eek:
What are the lowest grades, on average - across all subjects, at AS and A2 a student could achieve with or without extenuating circumstances and still be in with a chance? Obviously most would be at like 4 A's at AS and 3 A's or A*AA at A2.
Hello! I'm back again:biggrin:

I was wondering would a UK-based international student be seen as a UK applicant or an international applicant?

Thank you!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JayJay-C19
What are the lowest grades, on average - across all subjects, at AS and A2 a student could achieve with or without extenuating circumstances and still be in with a chance? Obviously most would be at like 4 A's at AS and 3 A's or A*AA at A2.

It's rare for candidates without extenuating circumstances to be successful without at least two As at AS Level and without at least one A* at A2.
Original post by WinterWind
Hello! I'm back again:biggrin:

I was wondering would a UK-based international student be seen as a UK applicant or an international applicant?

Thank you!:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Such candidates are regarded as overseas in terms of fee statuts.

Latest

Trending

Trending