The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Do you know anyone who got into Kings college London x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MichelBraga
Both arguments are pretty good, but please, my opinions aren't based on TSR forums. If TSR was my bible, I would be saying that KCL is the worst place in the UK, which is not the case. I was an exchange student at KCL and I chose it because of the whole image KCL has projected abroad, but I was a bit disappointed when I got there. Sure, it was much better than my home university and the experience was great overall, but it was really average in terms of excellence. I didn't like the facitilies (Strand) as you could observe and I felt the teaching to be just ok.

I visited Warwick and Durham recently, and both impressed me a lot, so I'm biased about this whole discussion, tbh.

And about the project, I'll quote what one of you mentioned earlier: "KCL invest in their students, 'not' in buildings". Observing the mass layoffs in the last years, and the celebration of new architectural projects and building acquisitions, I have to disagree. As you both must be aware of, KCL lowered their entry standards and decreased its investments in teaching (in general) in the last decade. I don't think a really rich university would do that. In London you see both UCL and Imperial investing in research partnerships with top notch US schools and increasingly attracting more world leading scholars. So, my opinion is that KCL policy now is based on getting more money by providing more "circus" to its students, while the real important thing (teaching and excellence) has been decreasing considerably.

However, I didn't say that KCL isn't a top notch school. I think that other unis are catching up, and KCL is holding its place much due to its past reputation.

Arguing that Durham, Warwick and St Andrews are catching up is really different from saying they are better than KCL.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
My situation is different because I did nursing at King's and also an access course. But the bottom line with King's is, if they love your interview, you get extra points.

Don't get your hopes up, but don't trash them all just yet either!
Original post by CupcakeDoll
My situation is different because I did nursing at King's and also an access course. But the bottom line with King's is, if they love your interview, you get extra points.

Don't get your hopes up, but don't trash them all just yet either!

What happened with your situation?
Reply 43
Original post by MichelBraga
I respect your opinion, but your course may have a bigger demand than the one I was accepted to.

It is not the same thing for all courses, but generally, you don't have to beg to get into King's with lower grades. I know one UK student and 3 International ones that were in the same position as the OP and they all managed to get accepted with lower grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Melon girl
What happened with your situation?

For access they ask for 45 credits with at least 30 at distinction and 12 at merit. (Or BBB at A level.)

I got a conditional offer, although my condition was just to get 45 credits at pass :smile: I had a really good time at the interview though. It just sort of went my way, and I walked out knowing I'd made a good impression.

It was for nursing though, which is a bit different. I heard after I got my offer that if they can see you as a nurse, then they will want you.
For access they ask for 45 credits with at least 30 at distinction and 12 at merit. (Or BBB at A level.)

I got a conditional offer, although my condition was just to get 45 credits at pass :smile: I had a really good time at the interview though. It just sort of went my way, and I walked out knowing I'd made a good impression.

It was for nursing though, which is a bit different. I heard after I got my offer that if they can see you as a nurse, then they will want you.

Wow well done! What did you end up getting and how long ago was this?
Wow well done! What did you end up getting and how long ago was this?

Thank you! I only got 12 at distinction, 21 at merit and 12 at pass! I'd a lot on my plate at the time though. 2011.

Are you applying for nursing?
Does anyone know the start date for Mathematics students/or other courses this year?
Original post by Mathsz0r
Does anyone know the start date for Mathematics students/or other courses this year?

http://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/pg/ImportantDates.aspx
Thank you! I only got 12 at distinction, 21 at merit and 12 at pass! I'd a lot on my plate at the time though. 2011.

Are you applying for nursing?

What's the equivalent of those at A-Level? And so did you report those circumstances to the university.

And no Medicine, but I know many people who this information could be useful to.
What's the equivalent of those at A-Level? And so did you report those circumstances to the university.

And no Medicine, but I know many people who this information could be useful to.

Unfortunately the access grading isn't equivalent to A Level grading. Universities get to decide themselves. E.g. some unis ask for AAA or 45 distinction credits, some ask for BBC and also 45 distinction credits!

Although access is level 3, they're not worth any UCAS points at all.

Good luck with medicine!
And no, I never discussed other circumstances so it really isn't a factor.

It's just the excuse I like to give myself as to why I didn't do better (although I didn't actually need to) :tongue:
Unfortunately the access grading isn't equivalent to A Level grading. Universities get to decide themselves. E.g. some unis ask for AAA or 45 distinction credits, some ask for BBC and also 45 distinction credits!

Although access is level 3, they're not worth any UCAS points at all.

Good luck with medicine!

That's actually very interesting. How do you go about applying to these universities without any UCAS points?
And no, I never discussed other circumstances so it really isn't a factor.

It's just the excuse I like to give myself as to why I didn't do better (although I didn't actually need to) :tongue:

How are you finding the course? Regardless, you're on the course so doing better would have made no difference..
That's actually very interesting. How do you go about applying to these universities without any UCAS points?

Aaah I actually can't remember! I applied through UCAS but I can't remember how I put this on the form, but I do remember it being straight forward. I still put in GCSE grades etc as normal.

It has definitely been hard! But then nursing at King's is very academically focused, I know other nursing schools are less so. But practice time is well worth it and is so much fun :smile:
I got study at King’s at Guy’s campus, passed this year with a first and now going into 3rd year.
Even though King’s may let people in with a grade lower at A-level, its often those that don’t do as well in exams and finish up with 2:2s.

King’s exams are hard.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by blue1211823
I got study at King’s at Guy’s campus, passed this year with a first and now going into 3rd year.
Even though King’s may let people in with a grade lower at A-level, its often those that don’t do as well in exams and finish up with 2:2s.

King’s exams are hard.

What makes them so hard?
i got into kings for math with a cert HE from birkbeck
Original post by Kcl hope
Did you or do you know anyone who got into kings without getting the grades, if so, what subject and what grades did they get, please share as I'm lacking any motivation and have no positivity, thanks x

My sister got into kings biochemistry getting ABB instead of AAB but that was the year they raised the fees and lots of people got into unis with lower grades

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 59
Original post by RudyOA
For any existing kcl students who can spare a minute

Please answer as if you were in the middle of first year.

1) How often do you go on nights out to bars or clubs in London per week?
2) What areas of London do you go on nights out most?
3) How many times would you revisit the same club or bar in a month?
4) Are you more likely to avoid a club with a long que? Yes/No
5) How much do you spend on alcohol on an average night out - excluding pre drinks
6) How many friends do you go out with on average?
7) Do drink deals and prices help determine the bars and clubs you visit?
8) Do entry prices help determine the bars and clubs you go to?

Really appreciate any help

From a KCL Undergrad who has just finished first year:

1) On average I would say my friendship group went out to clubs 3 nights a week. Obviously more early in year vs. less before exams. Pubbing was a lot more common, but just a casual drink etc as opposed to getting binned.

2) As we're at King's in my experience most people primarily go out in central e.g. Walkabout (on the Strand), Heaven (Embankment), The Roxy (Oxford Street) Sway (Kingsway), Ministry of Sound/Coronot/Corsica Studios (Elephant & Castle) & Fabric (Farringdon) to name a few but obviously depends on your own social circle. We branched out a fair bit to likes of Shoreditch and Dalston; painfully 'edgy' but good fun all the same.

3) Used to go to Walkabout or Guys Bar pretty much every wednesday on sports night and used to frequent Heaven most Mondays (cannot recommend enough.. seriously) but other than that we tried to not re-visit same clubs as it gets a bit repetitive and there is really no excuse in London not to find new places. Used to go to Lord Nelson pub (down road from Moonraker and SSA halls) ALOT.

4) No - In my experience long queues (unsurprisingly) correlates to popular/rammed clubs. Either we would try and avoid long queues by getting there a bit earlier than usual (which can sometimes get you cheaper entry) or just bite the bullet and wait it out. Pre-drinking is essential as a London student so waiting around in queues usually goes pretty quick tbh.. no fun being stuck in a long queue sober!

5) Differs any given night out and depends on clubs drink prices which in London can be reasonable (not cheap!) to high. So subjective as to what sort of person you are/what clubs you like/how heavy a drinker you are! I have spent as little as £10 to as high as circa £70. Advice: take cash out rather than your card. Trust.

6) Again completely depends on the night out. On certain/popular nights e.g. Wednesday most people from Halls would be heading out so we would have a big pre's etc like 10-30 people. On 'ordinary' nights out I went out with anywhere from about 3-15 people.

7) Yup - good value drinks in London are highly sought after which pretty much explains popularity of Walkabout and Guys Bar on Wednesdays. Mediocre/sticky-floor club + cheap drinks = great night. Proven equation.

8) Yes, yes and yes. Personally, I refused to pay more than £10 entry anywhere (minus special events i.e. Balls, some of freshers events and occasional expensive nights e.g. Fabric, Mayfair etc). Best student nights I have been to usually have cheapest entry because more students will flock to them - especially in London. Also Lots of London uni girls (can't blame them) will go to Mayfair clubs as they'll get free entry and drinks there when dressed up. It's a weird and sleazy atmosphere in my opinion as the clubs are essentially using high female admittance to draw in richer men - that sort of clubs cashcow - but each to their own I suppose..

I should probably note that London nightlife (pardon the cliche) is really what you make of it. You're not spoonfed clubnights like lots of campus or (even other city) uni's. You have to find what you're into. Any other questions feel free to fire my way!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest