The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1000
Real players' agents don't "spread rumours" to Marca. To me, the whole "too high wage demands" story seemed like Marca propaganda and reminded a bit of the greedy-mercenary-stories that they printed prior to Özil's, Hiaguaín's, Snejder's etc exit. So if there's nothing to the link, then Real probably want him out.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by qua
Real players' agents don't "spread rumours" to Marca. To me, the whole "too high wage demands" story seemed like Marca propaganda and reminded a bit of the greedy-mercenary-stories that they printed prior to Özil's, Hiaguaín's, Snejder's etc exit. So if there's nothing to the link, then Real probably want him out.

Real do seem to have a habit of treating their non-galacticos like plebs. Seem nice on the surface but with one foul swoop you are shipped off. There is no sense of a real team culture there.
Original post by C.Almasy
Real do seem to have a habit of treating their non-galacticos like plebs. Seem nice on the surface but with one foul swoop you are shipped off. There is no sense of a real team culture there.

And that is why they didn't win the CL for years. And last time they did it was because they had by far and away the best players.
Original post by little_tom
Then why bring him into the discussion? I was obviously alluding to lack of quality DMs on the market. In terms of transfer fee? Its not expensive, especially in today's market, we're talking about a player that would probably command 35M if it wasn't due to him being on the last year of his contract. He's at his peak and won it all, if he joins us it will be his last contract, hence why his agent is trying to get him a pay-rise, but if he wants the salary he's asking we will not sign him.

The reason why I think he would do better than Arteta? He's more physical than him, wins more aerial duels, is more intelligent (quite clearly if you watch both of them play, Khedira can utilize space better). I have trust in Wenger to get the best out of him defensively (assuming that's what his role will be, no one even knows yet).

I brought him into the discussion because his stats are what you want from a player like that. Comparing him to Khedira suggests that Khedira isn't the best you can get in that position and, for me, is too expensive to experiment with. Why trust Wenger to convert him when there are ready made alternatives, albeit not many? Where are you getting these stats on aerial duels? Anything I've seen suggests that Khedira is slightly worse than Arteta if anything.
(edited 9 years ago)
Lmao England have dropped to 20th on the FIFA World Rankings.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kruz
Lmao England have dropped to 20th on the FIFA World Rankings.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Still too high imo. Only 7 places above Scotland :laugh:
Original post by sr90
Still too high imo. Only 7 places above Scotland :laugh:

Scotland are 27th! What have they done to warrant that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Scotland are 27th! What have they done to warrant that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Bribed Sepp Blatter with gargantuan amounts of haggis and Irn Bru - the fat **** couldn't refuse.
Original post by Stalin
Bribed Sepp Blatter with gargantuan amounts of haggis and Irn Bru - the fat **** couldn't refuse.

Let's hope that Scottish heart attack food makes him choke real soon.
Reply 1009
Original post by So Instinct
Usually to raise the price and bargaining position of their client, in which case saying that Arsenal/Chelsea are not involved with him would be counter productive.

Exactly this. I don't see a reason to why he would make this up
Reply 1010
Original post by pane123
Anything I've seen suggests that Khedira is slightly worse than Arteta if anything.

I'd understand this point if you were talking about his whole time at Arsenal but Arteta's performance last season was by far inexcusable.
Original post by SarcasticMel
Or he spread those rumours to get Madrid to give Khedira a better offer, but all along he wanted to stay and so saying Khedira was never interested in anyone else shows he is still committed to Real.

Not sure what you're saying here, that he supposedly spread the rumours of clubs being interested or the rumours that there have been no talks?

If he wanted Madrid to give Khedira a better offer he would say other teams are interested to push Madrid into giving an improved contract, you see this done by agents quite often. By saying he's committed it puts RM in a comfortable position and they would feel no need to tie him down further.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
I'd understand this point if you were talking about his whole time at Arsenal but Arteta's performance last season was by far inexcusable.

You have taken that completely out of context, as I was referring to aerial duels. By all means replace Arteta, but not with Khedira.
Khedira is a standard £100k/week player at most, if you start paying him £150k then what kind of money is Aaron Ramsey going to be on, £200k/week? It's very important to keep some control over the wage structure because it can take years to get back to normal after you go crazy on a few players.

Still hope we sign him at the right price, but not at this rate. If Khedira's agent refuses to get sensible then no problem, move on to someone else immediately. Plenty of DMs out there.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1014

Original post by AR_95

Probably just a random PUMA store...
Reply 1016
Original post by EmperorMustard
Probably just a random PUMA store...

Well yeah I doubt he'd be holding bags at the emirates :tongue:
Reply 1017
Actually when you think about it. Khedira's agent bluffing could probably be to get another big team to come in and make a bid. At the end of the day I don't think this deal is going to happen at all tbh

Debuchy deal is supposedly meant to be complete some point today for around 10m. Good buy imo and there's a reason why he started over Sagna for the French national team

2 more positions to fill ( GK and CM/DM) and then this will turn out to be a very successful window. Hopefully we get Ospina for backup as he had a very solid world cup
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95
Actually when you think about it. Khedira's agent bluffing could probably be to get another big team to come in and make a bid. At the end of the day I don't think this deal is going to happen at all tbh

Debuchy deal is supposedly meant to be complete some point today for around 10m. Good buy imo and there's a reason why he started over Sagna for the French national team

2 more positions to fill ( GK and CM/DM) and then this will turn out to be a very successful window. Hopefully we get Ospina for backup as he had a very solid world cup

Think it was more a tactical preference from Dechamps rather than any real judgement on their relative quality. Way I see it, Sagna is the far superior defensive player whereas Debuchy offers much more going forward. Had someone said this time 12 months back that Debuchy>Sagna we wouldnt have had it in fairness so lets not go there now until Debuchy actually performs at that level.

Debuchy will probably be better for us than he was for NUFC though since he'll be under less defensive pressure and can focus more on getting forward. I know that we'll get done down the RW with Walcott/Debuchy at least a few times though so that's depressing :redface:

Wenger obviously sees our wing backs pushing forward quite alot though in the present system, or at least he encouraged Sagna/Gibbs to do so loads in big games last season. With players like Sanchez further up the pitch you have decent defensive work rate from the attackers but you'd really want a player like Schweinsteiger at CM to deal with inevitable counter attacks. Khedira isnt that player as well all know so idk what to think until the window is shut. :confused:

One of the reasons Gibbs was so good for us at the start of 2013/14 was the way he got up and down the pitch with his engine so Debuchy is probably not too far away from that style either. When Sagna used to push up he didnt get back quickly enough, but then on the other hand when we sat back Sagna was absolutely rock solid so it's all swings and roundabouts.

End of the day, Chelsea and City both have much better wing backs than us at present so it's hardly an area of strength these days.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AR_95

Nice.

Latest