The Student Room Group

Students (and everyone else), What is your opinion on "The Secret Life of Students"?

Scroll to see replies

Thoughts on the featured characters so far:

Josie: I would. Can't think of much else to say.

Aiden: Bit of a ****, but I can see why he puts the act of that he does. I obviously works for him so it's a case of hating the game, not the player. I even laughed a little at "Got chlamydia. Banter."

Lauren: I think she drink a little, now maybe she has tried before and not liked in which case I stand corrected, but the reason she didn't have fun on the bar crawl was because she was sober and didn't give it a chance. She reminds me a lot of one of my real life friends, actually. She's a nice girl, but would probably be annoying to know in person.

Jack: My favourite character so far and I see a lot of myself in him. I actually wish he'd just go out and bring a girl home, but that's his choice.

Helen: It takes two to tango, but imo when someone cheats(and the other person is single) then 99% of the blame should go on the person in the relationship. Is what she did wrong? Yeah, probably, but I don't think she's a bad lass by any means. Also I would :biggrin:

Michael: Publicly humiliated his girlfriend on national TV and is also a total dick to Jack on twitter (and I'm pretty sure it isn't banter), my least favourite character so far.

Gemma: My second least favourite character, although it's not all her own fault. She really needs to get rid of Ben or whatever his name is and explore herself a little bit. A nice girl, but her playground relationship needs binned ASAP
Original post by orange crush
Thoughts on the featured characters so far:

Josie: I would. Can't think of much else to say.

Aiden: Bit of a ****, but I can see why he puts the act of that he does. I obviously works for him so it's a case of hating the game, not the player. I even laughed a little at "Got chlamydia. Banter."

Lauren: I think she drink a little, now maybe she has tried before and not liked in which case I stand corrected, but the reason she didn't have fun on the bar crawl was because she was sober and didn't give it a chance. She reminds me a lot of one of my real life friends, actually. She's a nice girl, but would probably be annoying to know in person.

Jack: My favourite character so far and I see a lot of myself in him. I actually wish he'd just go out and bring a girl home, but that's his choice.

Helen: It takes two to tango, but imo when someone cheats(and the other person is single) then 99% of the blame should go on the person in the relationship. Is what she did wrong? Yeah, probably, but I don't think she's a bad lass by any means. Also I would :biggrin:

Michael: Publicly humiliated his girlfriend on national TV and is also a total dick to Jack on twitter (and I'm pretty sure it isn't banter), my least favourite character so far.

Gemma: My second least favourite character, although it's not all her own fault. She really needs to get rid of Ben or whatever his name is and explore herself a little bit. A nice girl, but her playground relationship needs binned ASAP

this actually made me laugh :biggrin:, I didn't like Helen and Michaels relationship, it seemed very predictable and wasn't going to end well anyway.
And what was this Michael saying to Jack on twitter?
Original post by maryamzahid
this actually made me laugh :biggrin:, I didn't like Helen and Michaels relationship, it seemed very predictable and wasn't going to end well anyway.
And what was this Michael saying to Jack on twitter?

Basically every time he (Jack) was on screen Michael kept calling him "the irrelivant little virgin" on twitter.

And glad to make you laugh :tongue:
I think those saying it makes Leicester a **** uni are vastly overestimating the willingness of producers to give a balanced view of uni life.

In my final year I got plastered on two well known days that make it into the Mail as 'Oxbridge students disgrace themselves, are these our leaders of the future?' type articles, plus the various balls (also usually an article in the Mail) and you could probably get 20 mins of tele out of it, but no one would suggest tha's representative of an Oxbridge finalist's whole year.
Basically every time he (Jack) was on screen Michael kept calling him "the irrelivant little virgin" on twitter.

And glad to make you laugh :tongue:

why would anyone say that? and yeah I love how you made gemma your 2nd least favourite character
Original post by jayde_tasmin
I love TV like this, because I'm going to uni in september and it makes me excited, no matter how the shows portray uni life. I loved a programme that was on ages ago, I think it was about Leeds uni, and had a boy called Forrest on it.

Was it called Freshers, I think it was on Itv2 and about the University of Bedfordshire IIRC. Here a picture of Forrest from that show, is he the same?

https://twitter.com/michaelbudd11/status/487373111332192256

He seems a nice character doesn't he :rolleyes:
Original post by MagicNMedicine

^^^ Nice avatar :tongue:
^^^ Nice avatar :tongue:

cool username bro

Original post by BlackMagicV
Of all the friends who have come to my parties (about 40-50) at home, I think 1 has chundered every time and he's not the kind of 'let's go wild and partayyyyy' type. We do have to spend at least an hour cleaning up vom every time though, even with a few of us staying sober. I do drink, but not to excess. I know my limits and I can handle my drink. However, I don't want to drink beyond my limits due to an incident that occurred a couple of years ago.

Do you mind sharing the experience?
Original post by Melon girl
Do you mind sharing the experience?

A friend of mine gave me what she thought was juice. I ended up completely intoxicated and after telling a boy "**** off, I don't want to get with you" and running away, there was what I refer to as a non-consensual sexual encounter. Took me a lot of time (and counselling) to get past it, which I now largely have :smile:
The alcohol didn't cause it to happen, but if anyone ever tries something again, I want to be able to stop it.
It has only happened once, but it's enough to scare me. Uni will be the first time that I'll be going out with strangers, which will be difficult, especially if some of them are on the pull. I want to join in with drinking games, but definitely not go out on the pull! I'm sure there'll be others who feel the sane way, even though they haven't gone through what I did, so I'll soon lose my fears I hope. :smile:
Original post by MagicNMedicine

tbh, he is the one that slept with a girl whilst having a girlfriend so he is a massive c*nt.
A friend of mine gave me what she thought was juice. I ended up completely intoxicated and after telling a boy "**** off, I don't want to get with you" and running away, there was what I refer to as a non-consensual sexual encounter. Took me a lot of time (and counselling) to get past it, which I now largely have :smile:
The alcohol didn't cause it to happen, but if anyone ever tries something again, I want to be able to stop it.
It has only happened once, but it's enough to scare me. Uni will be the first time that I'll be going out with strangers, which will be difficult, especially if some of them are on the pull. I want to join in with drinking games, but definitely not go out on the pull! I'm sure there'll be others who feel the sane way, even though they haven't gone through what I did, so I'll soon lose my fears I hope. :smile:

I totally agree, I'm scared of that too. I don't know how to respectfully decline any sexual requests without seeming rude.
Episode 3 tonight :biggrin:
This is his sad my life has become, I am literally counting down the hours for this programme......
I liked it! It seriously scared me for when I go to uni next year though. I like to party and everything but not every night and I'm worried I might become a Lauren. I'm really going to try and get myself involved like Lauren didn't. She partly did that to herself, always finding the bad parts of uni.
Josie is much more my person! Although I would not be sleeping with anyone like Aiden. This programme puts it into perpective really that even when your living with loads of other people, you are still alone and that worrys me.
I totally agree, I'm scared of that too. I don't know how to respectfully decline any sexual requests without seeming rude.

I know a couple of friends who got so fed up with men making advances on them that they each bought a ring and wore them on their ring finger. I'm hoping that "I have a boyfriend" will suffice :smile:
Original post by Courteney
I liked it! It seriously scared me for when I go to uni next year though. I like to party and everything but not every night and I'm worried I might become a Lauren. I'm really going to try and get myself involved like Lauren didn't. She partly did that to herself, always finding the bad parts of uni.
Josie is much more my person! Although I would not be sleeping with anyone like Aiden. This programme puts it into perpective really that even when your living with loads of other people, you are still alone and that worrys me.

You don't have to party every night. When I was in halls (2012-13 academic year) we went out every night in freshers and then after that it was only one night a week unless someone had a birthday or a friend from home over. The main thing is just to throw yourself in at the deep end, I found in my group, we had as many film nights, football-watching nights, or just generally sitting in the lounge having a chat amongst ourselves (maybe someone would bring a guitar out and play for a bit).

My absolute advice to everyone, and I know this might be a bit odd, is to get all your uni work done during daylight hours. Even if your mates aren't drinking and going out it still kinda sucks having to stay in your room and do tutorial work at 9pm at night when all your mates are next door playing innuendo bingo.
I know a couple of friends who got so fed up with men making advances on them that they each bought a ring and wore them on their ring finger. I'm hoping that "I have a boyfriend" will suffice :smile:

Haha, yeah I can't only imagine. I can't wait to start though!
Haha, yeah I can't only imagine. I can't wait to start though!

Me neither, where are you going and what are you reading? :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest