The Student Room Group

Quitting smoking THREAD

So guys, after 4.5 - 5 years of this bad habit I've finally decided, out my own free will, to quite the dirty habit of smoking !!! :biggrin:

I bought one of those e-lites from a shop today and will be using it to help me quit.

Now before anyone tells me "You'll still be addicted to nicotine", I know. BUT by using it I'm not in the line of taking in tar, which is what kills you.

I'll be taking the regular dose of nicotine for the summer, and then gradually down the concentration till I quit completely.

If anyone else is on the road to quitting, is thinking of quitting, or who has already quit, you can talk on this thread!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
So guys, after 4.5 - 5 years of this bad habit I've finally decided, out my own free will, to quite the dirty habit of smoking !!! :biggrin:

I bought one of those e-lites from a shop today and will be using it to help me quit.

Now before anyone tells me "You'll still be addicted to nicotine", I know. BUT by using it I'm not in the line of taking in tar, which is what kills you.

I'll be taking the regular dose of nicotine for the summer, and then gradually down the concentration till I quit completely.

If anyone else is on the road to quitting, is thinking of quitting, or who has already quit, you can talk on this thread!!

A sensible thing to do:yes:
I have had bad experience with smokers:colone:
Original post by arfah
A sensible thing to do:yes:
I have had bad experience with smokers:colone:

I've realised that I have a fantastic potential in both swimming and football :smile: ... I'm quite quick for a white boy (100m in 12 seconds) - excuse the bragging.

Better sooner than later.
Reply 3
I've realised that I have a fantastic potential in both swimming and football :smile: ... I'm quite quick for a white boy (100m in 12 seconds) - excuse the bragging.

Better sooner than later.

Good, you don't need smoking to aid with your sports:smile: I love swimming as well:rolleyes: I don't think you're bragging, I like bragging too:lol:
That's the spirit!:biggrin:
Original post by arfah
Good, you don't need smoking to aid with your sports:smile: I love swimming as well:rolleyes: I don't think you're bragging, I like bragging too:lol:
That's the spirit!:biggrin:

So basically I'm going to stick to e-cigs for the moment as I've read good success stories of people quitting completely with them ... and by the time the summer ends, or just before I leave to Uni, I will have ended completely :wink:

I'll keep you updated fella :smile:

Well done
Just think of the beautiful lungs you'll have when you've completely kicked the habit
Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 6
Sounds good! Good luck with it!!:biggrin:
Erm...I'm a girl actually, don't call me 'fella' but yea keep me updated:rofl:
Original post by arfah
Sounds good! Good luck with it!!:biggrin:
Erm...I'm a girl actually, don't call me 'fella' but yea keep me updated:rofl:

Sorry lol, I know you're a girl, but I've got a tendency of calling everyone 'fella', 'mate', 'bro' :P
Reply 8
Sorry lol, I know you're a girl, but I've got a tendency of calling everyone 'fella', 'mate', 'bro' :P

Oh ok that's fine then, no misunderstandings:tongue:
Reply 9
i recently decided to stop smoking too, 20+ a day to 0 (i couldn't afford an e-cig at the time) the first few days i was the most livid guy going, but now im back in the gym and getting ready for rugby at uni i feel so much better for it
I went 18 days without a cig, hoping to stop. And I've had 3 today :frown: it's just too hard ughhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
I've managed to cut down to around 5-7 a day and hoping to cut that down to 0 soon...

Currently on a diet (lost 4 stone, put 1.5 back on so want to lose that) and do not have the will power to stop smoking completely and diet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Afghan Warrior
I went 18 days without a cig, hoping to stop. And I've had 3 today :frown: it's just too hard ughhhh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Whenever I get a craving I just eat, or sleep :P
Original post by coopsyy
I've managed to cut down to around 5-7 a day and hoping to cut that down to 0 soon...

Currently on a diet (lost 4 stone, put 1.5 back on so want to lose that) and do not have the will power to stop smoking completely and diet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

5-7 is the amount I was on for my 5 years of smoking.

I know it's going to be hard for me, just like everyone else, but I'm seriously determined to do it. According to some research I've done, it's believed that quitting smoking means you gain weight, which is good for someone like me :biggrin:
Original post by Tuuubs
i recently decided to stop smoking too, 20+ a day to 0 (i couldn't afford an e-cig at the time) the first few days i was the most livid guy going, but now im back in the gym and getting ready for rugby at uni i feel so much better for it

And you haven't had one since?
Moved to Health

Original post by coopsyy

Posted from TSR Mobile

Almost every ex-smoker I know has put on weight after quitting. They tend to replace smoking with food.

Good luck guys!
Original post by *Dreamer*
Well done
Just think of the beautiful lungs you'll have when you've completely kicked the habit
Good luck :biggrin:

Yeah that's it :biggrin: ... I'm looking to get as fit as a fiddle :P ... GF is going to be livid hahahaha
Good luck!!
Original post by OU Student
Moved to Health

Almost every ex-smoker I know has put on weight after quitting. They tend to replace smoking with food.

Good luck guys!

It's the appetite that comes back, and the taste for food which was covered by the smoke.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Good luck!!

Thank you, thank you. I'm pretty certain I'll be able to :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest