The Student Room Group

Tesco workers refuse to sell Ham & Wine during Ramadan

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/tesco-forced-to-apologise-after-muslim-employee-refused-to-serve-customer-buying-wine-and-ham-9610049.html

Tesco has been forced to issue an apology after a Muslim shop worker refused to serve a customer buying ham and wine.

The supermarket received a complaint from the customer after the incident at the Tesco Express store in Neasden, west London, which occurred during the Islamic month of Ramadan.

Mother-of-three Julie Cottle complained to the store’s manager but said he supported the employee and insisted she use a self-service checkout.
Mrs Cottle said: “He pointed at the ham and wine in my basket and said ‘I can’t serve you that because I’m fasting’.

“When I told him he should be serving customers not turning them away he still refused telling me to go to the self-service.
“I was furious.”

Mrs Cottle contacted the supermarket’s customer services team when she got home and was told the worker could face disciplinary action.

She added: “I hope he does. If he can’t serve food he shouldn’t be working in a supermarket.”

Tesco spokesperson said: “We’re here to serve our customers the products they choose to buy. We don’t have a specific policy and take a pragmatic approach if a colleague raises concerns about a job they have been asked to do.

“We apologise to our customer for any inconvenience on this occasion.”

Why wasn't this guy sacked? I was sacked before for something similar...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Why wasn't this guy sacked? I was sacked before for something similar...

You refused to sell stuff during Ramadan?
My #1 hatred in this world is lowlife idiots that phone "customer service" teams to complain about employees. This guy probably has a wife and kids and you're actively trying to get him punished. Shocking.

I hope that Tesco support the guy.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by orange crush
My #1 hatred in this world is lowlife idiots that phone "customer service" teams to complain about employees. This guy probably has a wife and kids and you're actively trying to get him punished. Shocking.

I hope that Tesco support the guy.

I don't. If you can't do the job get a new one. I hardly believe that having to serve food during Ramadan is that big of an issue for Muslims, but if you allow people to get away with it they'll start behaving in even stupider ways.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheAnusFiles
I don't. If you can't do the job get a new one. I hardly believe that having to serve food during Ramadan is that big of an issue for Muslims, but if you allow people to get away with it they'll start behaving in even stupider ways.

^^^ Hasn't worked in a shop before.
^^^ Hasn't worked in a shop before.

I have actually. I worked in Sainsburys last year.
Reply 6

She's a disgrace of a human being and I hope that Tesco support the guy.

Someone has a job in a supermarket where they sell food. They are unable to sell food, they should not have that job. Plenty of other people more suitable I'm sure, who also probably have wives and kids.
The customer is entitled to have their stuff served and all but she acted like a **** and took it a bit too far tbh.

Don't bother getting worked up over it and just go serve yourself. Is it that hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I have actually. I worked in Sainsburys last year.

Original post by MJ1012
Someone has a job in a supermarket where they sell food. They are unable to sell food, they should not have that job. Plenty of other people more suitable I'm sure, who also probably have wives and kids.

I get what you're saying but this is one of my issues with the "customer gone mad" world where shop assistants are expected to be some kind of hybrid between a robot and a prostitute, it's ridiculous.

Read this article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alexander-kjerulf/top-5-reasons-customer-service_b_5145636.html
She's right. Why have a job where most of the time you are going to have to 'sell' ham and alcohol?

Don't really see how he's selling it anyway, all he's doing is moving it over a scanner and collecting the money for someone else.
I get what you're saying but this is one of my issues with the "customer gone mad" world where shop assistants are expected to be some kind of hybrid between a robot and a prostitute, it's ridiculous.

Read this article

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alexander-kjerulf/top-5-reasons-customer-service_b_5145636.html

Yes but this customer wanted to be served ham and pork she bought in the shop. What if I had refused to sell Halal products? Would that have been ok?
Reply 11

Read this article

Not relevant to the situation at hand. It's not even someone making a mistake, it's someone flat-out refusing to do their job, of course it's appropriate to complain.

What's wrong with an employee being expected to do all parts of their job?
Yes but this customer wanted to be served ham and pork she bought in the shop. What if I had refused to sell Halal products? Would that have been ok?

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure this person wasn't the only till operator in the supermarket.
I'm a bit confused as to why he couldn't sell her the products. Does Islam prohibit the handling of glass and plastic during Ramadan?
Absolutely. I'm pretty sure this person wasn't the only till operator in the supermarket.

It was an Express, he may well have been the only one on the tills at the time.
Original post by MJ1012
Not relevant to the situation at hand. It's not even someone making a mistake, it's someone flat-out refusing to do their job, of course it's appropriate to complain.

Original post by Harvey Dent
What's wrong with an employee being expected to do all parts of their job?

I'm not necessarily saying that the till operator was in the right, but that just that the woman is a **** for complaining about it.

Wouldn't have been difficult to change tills or go to self-service.

If I was his boss I'd have a quiet word with him, perhaps if he felt really strongly about it then I'd move him to trolley-duty or something for a bit so he wouldn't have to directly serve customers. If he gets his walking papers for this then it's a sad day for society.
(edited 9 years ago)
As far as I know the restrictions on fasting for Ramadan only apply to the actual person who is upholding the religious rite - it shouldn't affect the customer that the till cashier is serving.

I can understand the case of a Muslim or Jewish person objecting to handling the meat itself but in that case the person would not be serving on the butchery or deli counter. If the meat is (as usual) wrapped or in a plastic container then there should be no issue with ritual 'uncleanliness'. Can someone enlighten me on this?
Reply 18
This kind of thing is usually someone itching for a fight with their employer and hoping for a UD/discrimination settlement.
Original post by TurboCretin
I'm a bit confused as to why he couldn't sell her the products. Does Islam prohibit the handling of glass and plastic during Ramadan?

Original post by PythianLegume
It was an Express, he may well have been the only one on the tills at the time.

Maybe, but surely he could have called one of his mates over to take the sale, like a 16 year old Saturday boy would if someone was buying wine?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending