The Student Room Group

Tesco workers refuse to sell Ham & Wine during Ramadan

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by QuantumSuicide
The customer is entitled to have their stuff served and all but she acted like a **** and took it a bit too far tbh.

Don't bother getting worked up over it and just go serve yourself. Is it that hard?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The same could be said for the guy- instead of getting worked up over it, he should have just scanned the items. Was it that hard? He took it a bit too far by asking her to go to the self-checkout.

If he feels that strongly, he should find a different job.

I'd like to ask, how does scanning ham and wine impede upon his fasting? Serious question.
Original post by Harvey Dent
If you're in employment and have signed a contract to carry out a job then you leave your personal prejudices/opinions/religion at the door. It is unacceptable that a customer should be inconvenienced because you don't feel like carrying out your duties.

Yes and No.

Tesco are well within their rights to discipline him over this, but if they do it makes them a lowlife, scummy, inhumane organisation.
Original post by orange crush
Yes and No.

Tesco are well within their rights to discipline him over this, but if they do it makes them a lowlife, scummy, inhumane organisation.

Actually, it's just "Yes".
Tesco are well within their rights to discipline him over this. If he did refuse to serve the customer as is claimed then it's a breach of contract. He had nobody to blame but himself if he's handed his notice.
Actually, it's just "Yes".
Tesco are well within their rights to discipline him over this. If he did refuse to serve the customer as is claimed then it's a breach of contract. He had nobody to blame but himself if he's handed his notice.

Of course he has nobody else to blame and of course they are well within their rights.

My argument is that morally it would be better if they didn't
Yes and No.

Nope. They hire people to do a job. If he won't do it get someone desperate for one who will
I normally hate the idea of people going out of their way to complain. This time though I agree, the lad just needs a verbal warning and to be explained what is expected of him and if the job is at odd with his religious beliefs then maybe he should look for other employment. I mean they sell strawberries from Israel too, what's next is he gonna stop selling them too, would he refuse to sell an fhm?
Original post by Prodigal son
I normally hate the idea of people going out of their way to complain. This time though I agree, the lad just needs a verbal warning and to be explained what is expected of him and if the job is at odd with his religious beliefs then maybe he should look for other employment. I mean they sell strawberries from Israel too, what's next is he gonna stop selling them too, would he refuse to sell an fhm?

^^^ Agree completely.

Argument
If you're in employment and have signed a contract to carry out a job then you leave your personal prejudices/opinions/religion at the door. It is unacceptable that a customer should be inconvenienced because you don't feel like carrying out your duties.

Sorry if this bursts whatever bubble it is that you're living in, but if he's working at Tesco it's not because he loves the job that much he's willing to sacrifice his closely held beliefs and values. It's because there is nothing else out there, and there are bills to pay. Either that, or face desolution and be unemployed every time a contract states (they don't, by the way) that you have to give up your beliefs for the privilege of working for a supermarket.
Original post by KadeK
The same could be said for the guy- instead of getting worked up over it, he should have just scanned the items. Was it that hard? He took it a bit too far by asking her to go to the self-checkout.

If he feels that strongly, he should find a different job.

I'd like to ask, how does scanning ham and wine impede upon his fasting? Serious question.

It's a bit different when you believe there's consequences for serving the items. If he feels strongly, then yeah, perhaps he should find a different job. I agree with that, but i personally wouldnt bother complaining, i'll just respect his beliefs and move on.

I don't know if serving ham and wine breaks a fast but it definitely is a sin since you're helping a person consume such items

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by QuantumSuicide
Well, it's haram for muslims to help people consume ham/wine. I don't know if this is the first time the guy refused to serve the items but he could very well be what we call a "ramadan muslim". It seems like you think that muslims are forbidden to even touch food whilst fasting. Of course they're allowed to buy food..

Posted from TSR Mobile

So why has this conveniently not happened before? Why would anyone choose to work somewhere which involves touching things he "isn't permitted" to. Why is that it is ramadam of any relevance?
Reply 50
It's a job, religion should not prevent them from doing their job. If it does they should get a different job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course he has nobody else to blame and of course they are well within their rights.

My argument is that morally it would be better if they didn't

Morals don't come into it. You do the job you're paid to do, or you get a new one (or not). That's not unkind, that's life.

And your original argument was actually that the woman was in the wrong, let's not pretend otherwise.
Original post by TheAnusFiles
Nope. They hire people to do a job. If he won't do it get someone desperate for one who will

Which they are more than welcome to do, but it sets a bad example to their employees that any time a c*ntomer kick up a fuss they'll get sacked.

Read the article I gave you earlier. It's spot on.
Woman experiences bad customer service at tesco.................. so ****ing what?

Do we really need to hear about every bad customer service experience in the uk?

This is such a non story that has been sensationalised to have a go at muslims.
Sack him. Absolutely ridiculous to refuse to serve.
Morals don't come into it. You do the job you're paid to do, or you get a new one (or not). That's not unkind, that's life.

And your original argument was actually that the woman was in the wrong, let's not pretend otherwise.

Well she's a c*ntomer, if that's what you mean.
Original post by Reece Sure
Sorry if this bursts whatever bubble it is that you're living in, but if he's working at Tesco it's not because he loves the job that much he's willing to sacrifice his closely held beliefs and values. It's because there is nothing else out there, and there are bills to pay. Either that, or face desolution and be unemployed every time a contract states (they don't, by the way) that you have to give up your beliefs for the privilege of working for a supermarket.

Whether he loves the job or not is absolutely irrelevant, as is his circumstances. If you're unfit for the job then you shouldn't be in it.
Which they are more than welcome to do, but it sets a bad example to their employees that any time a c*ntomer kick up a fuss they'll get sacked.

Read the article I gave you earlier. It's spot on.

I did. And yes I've seen my fair share of whiny customers, but a customer complaining because they weren't served by someone whose only job is to serve them is fair enough. What if you went to a restaurant, and the waiter refused to take an order for half of the menu?
Well she's a c*ntomer, if that's what you mean.

I was always taught that, in a debate, that the first person to resort to expletives has admitted defeat.
Thank you very much.
Reply 59
Original post by Reece Sure
However, to all the people expecting the guy serving to just disregard his closely held beliefs for some **** wage are somewhat delusional at best.

Well we do expect racists and homophobes to disregard their closely held beliefs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending