The Student Room Group

Graduated 2 years ago and finding it ridiculously hard to get a basic job.

So I graduated 2 years back with a degree in English Lit and am having a lot of difficulty in finding a job.

Even shops tell me I'm overqualified (which makes no sense!), other than that I'm lucky to get a brief reply although a lot of the time they give little or no important feedback.

I'm out most days doing voluntary work so am not one of these people that sit around the house all day!

Its just driving me crazy applying to endless jobs and hearing nothing or never gaining. I've had interviews where I've been at a disadvantage because an important email hasn't been sent out to me. Or I've been told that someone else had more precise experience- like how do I gain any then! Its like a vicious circle.

There is absolutely NO reason at all for why I shouldn't have a job -I'm just at my wits end! Applying for everything and anything for the last 2 years has and is driving me nuts.
Reply 1
Have you ever thought of doing a PGCE maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply 2
Original post by Barry2011
Have you ever thought of doing a PGCE maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of people have said this, I do currently do voluntary work with children although don't think this is what I want to go into. I've spoken to uni tutors and teachers and they've said not to go into it unless I've got my heart set on it and I can't see that this will be the case. Also it's a lot of money for something I might not want to pursue in the future :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by daviesc
So I graduated 2 years back with a degree in English Lit and am having a lot of difficulty in finding a job.

Even shops tell me I'm overqualified (which makes no sense!), other than that I'm lucky to get a brief reply although a lot of the time they give little or no important feedback.

If you could pick any job or sector (realistically, not Secretary General of the UN or something) what would it be?
Reply 4
Original post by Clip
If you could pick any job or sector (realistically, not Secretary General of the UN or something) what would it be?

Oh shucks that would've been my first option! Set my sights high :tongue:

I'd ideally love to go into publishing- like proofreading or something similar. A lot of these jobs seem to be down South though (I'm in the North)
Original post by daviesc

I'd ideally love to go into publishing- like proofreading or something similar. A lot of these jobs seem to be down South though (I'm in the North)

Apply and move down south then.
Reply 6
Original post by Last Day Lepers
Apply and move down south then.

Renting is not an option right now, especially not down there, otherwise I'd have well done it :smile:
Original post by daviesc
Renting is not an option right now, especially not down there, otherwise I'd have well done it :smile:

If you get a job, you'll be able to pay rent.
Reply 8
Original post by daviesc

This is the problem - "overqualified" is a euphemism for "we are scared that you will jump ship the first time you get an offer for a job that you really want, and will be laughing at us all the way"

If you are getting the "overqualified" reply, it may be that you actually are suitable, but you haven't done anything to secure the employer that you won't be offski in short order.

It can't hurt to try really, really selling the idea that you will be loyal, you only want this particular job, and that if you get it, you will stop looking. Say that you've put the fact that you read Literature behind you and you are looking for a career in retail as you enjoy working with people and are in it for the long haul.

9 times out of 10, it will be a dirty lie. But that's why they don't want to employ graduates.

Possibly consider moving down south for the first job you can get. Expensive, risky, but it's where the opportunity is.
Reply 9
Original post by Clip
This is the problem - "overqualified" is a euphemism for "we are scared that you will jump ship the first time you get an offer for a job that you really want, and will be laughing at us all the way"

If you are getting the "overqualified" reply, it may be that you actually are suitable, but you haven't done anything to secure the employer that you won't be offski in short order.

It can't hurt to try really, really selling the idea that you will be loyal, you only want this particular job, and that if you get it, you will stop looking. Say that you've put the fact that you read Literature behind you and you are looking for a career in retail as you enjoy working with people and are in it for the long haul.

9 times out of 10, it will be a dirty lie. But that's why they don't want to employ graduates.

Possibly consider moving down south for the first job you can get. Expensive, risky, but it's where the opportunity is.

Thanks for your reply :smile: I get what you're saying, as for the fact I'm a graduate people have said not to mention it in applications- it's like I haven't worked (and paid) for that long to not mention it! As for moving I'd literally be spending every penny I earned on rent, if it even covered rent that is. I've heard basic flats go for 1k a month!
Reply 10
Original post by daviesc
Thanks for your reply :smile: I get what you're saying, as for the fact I'm a graduate people have said not to mention it in applications- it's like I haven't worked (and paid) for that long to not mention it! As for moving I'd literally be spending every penny I earned on rent, if it even covered rent that is. I've heard basic flats go for 1k a month!

I'm not saying don't tell them you're a graduate. I'm saying that you really have to sell the idea that this is the job you want and that you have set your heart and soul on a career in whatever it is they do. This is going to be hard, because you'll probably be lying through your teeth.

As for moving - it depends. I wouldn't do it without a job (ok, easier said than done), even if it's agency or working at a union (£10ph a lot of them, btw). It's absolutely the wrong time now, as the students are all off and taking the casual jobs.

Yes, London can be stupidly expensive if you are going to live central. If you want that kind of thing (with all the benefits) you would have to share. Otherwise, live in the suburbs. Places like Ruislip and Finchley have good transport links and you can do a studio there for £700-750 per month.

Quick Reply

Latest