The Student Room Group

Students (and everyone else), What is your opinion on "The Secret Life of Students"?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlackMagicV
Me neither, where are you going and what are you reading? :biggrin:

Medicine and Kings College, yourself?
Original post by Melon girl

I have a friend who's just finished his first year on that exact course! He's very outgoing and studious and seems to have had a really good time and made lots of friends, so I'm sure you will too. I'm going to Warwick reading History and French, but I don't know anyone else there - it's a surprise!
I have a friend who's just finished his first year on that exact course! He's very outgoing and studious and seems to have had a really good time and made lots of friends, so I'm sure you will too. I'm going to Warwick reading History and French, but I don't know anyone else there - it's a surprise!

Warwick is a lot more toned down, something I'd probably prefer. It's a beautiful university.
The problem is it seems like the show wants to make a stereotype out of all the people in it - Aiden the Lad, Josie being insecure which led her to be promiscious, Lauren who is a socially anxious teetotle, the girl (I can't remember her name :colondollar:) who had a very intense ldr...

Lauren really annoyed me at first, for instance, because she seemed so bitchy about everyone else because they liked to drink and party and she didn't. However, on reflection, this is probably the documentaries fault - the narrator actually said she's "not like the other students" which immediately struck me as quite pretentious, and that NAZI-salut thing was put down as her being a "history buff" as opposed to, you know, a general thing most people would find a bit dodgy. If you actually watched closely, you could see Lauren got on OK with her flatmates, like they looked after her when she got upset at that bar crawl, were helping her with that Labour official interview thing, and she was talking to one of them in a different episode. Clearly the drinking was a problem for her, but that clip of her under the stairs while they're blocking the way probably wasn't the norm for her, and she probably did try to have a good time in other ways, or at least didn't hide herself away. The documentary makers just made her horribly unflattering in it at first in a bid to make the audience feel sorry for her as someone "different". I guess the same can be applied to the others, like in the second episode where the couples seemed to just text "i love you so much xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" to eachover all the time - probably said other things too!
Original post by Melon girl

QUESTION!!! Two fingers.
Original post by orange crush
QUESTION!!! Two fingers.

lolwut?
I'm a little worried because I'm pretty drawn to the whole community aspect of their expirence on this show, but my firm choice is in London... How different do you think it'll be/anyone with any expirence could give some advice? Thanks
Original post by orange crush
You don't have to party every night. When I was in halls (2012-13 academic year) we went out every night in freshers and then after that it was only one night a week unless someone had a birthday or a friend from home over. The main thing is just to throw yourself in at the deep end, I found in my group, we had as many film nights, football-watching nights, or just generally sitting in the lounge having a chat amongst ourselves (maybe someone would bring a guitar out and play for a bit).

My absolute advice to everyone, and I know this might be a bit odd, is to get all your uni work done during daylight hours. Even if your mates aren't drinking and going out it still kinda sucks having to stay in your room and do tutorial work at 9pm at night when all your mates are next door playing innuendo bingo.

That was really good advice actually thanks! I'm the kind of person that does coursework at 8pm so hopefully i'll try and keep that to a minimum. I'm definitely one to go out of my confort zone so i just hope it'll be good!
Reply 149
I had to stop watching half way through this episode, I was getting aggravated. They're all in university yet piss it all down the drain, Aiden is an idiot and that girl Brenda, I wanted somebody smack her upside the head, wasting all her money on shopping, then asking some dude she ain't even met yet for £500, why not get a job like the rest of us if you're in need of money?.
Finally that kid doing physics, what the hell, doesn't bother attending lectures then says to his flat mates who bothered to wake him up in time for his lecture to f off because he's sleeping. These are the kind of people who give students a bad name. Having a laugh, getting drunk is all fine, but when you become these people, just don't bother going in the first place, you're wasting money you will have to pay back and you are making lift difficult for your flat mates.
Reply 150
Yeah I don't get why Brenda seemingly spent all her loan on clothes/shoes. She should have took the majority of it back.

Aiden in this episode was naive thinking that everyone would be out every night when it's not possible due to budgeting, tiredness and actually having work to do. I can't believe he was moaning about going out twice a week. I think maybe he should re-evaluate his job prospects if that's all he's interested in doing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Had to turn it off, that girl Brena really ****ing annoyed me. Is she ****ing stupid????? Spent all her loan on clothes/shoes then when she said she might be dropping out because she can't afford it? WHAT?!!! Like seriously??!! Then expecting her parents to bail her out?! Can't believe that guy bailed her out.
I can kinda see Aiden's point. I mean in first year I was out three or four nights a week and only really did work around exam time.

Brenda should have done a gap year and saved up.

I don't have an issue with Hassan, I struggle getting up early as well
Original post by StuartPatrick94
Had to turn it off, that girl Brena really ****ing annoyed me. Is she ****ing stupid????? Spent all her loan on clothes/shoes then when she said she might be dropping out because she can't afford it? WHAT?!!! Like seriously??!! Then expecting her parents to bail her out?! Can't believe that guy bailed her out.

plus she didn't even seem bothered when she met him but I suppose it was probably due to her insomnia.
Literally could not watch until the end. I tried.
Reply 155
Really strange show... Don't know whether I like it or not.
The constant referring to what they are saying on facebook and twitter is a little bit irritating, but I guess it is relevant because everyone spends a lot of time on social networking sites now. Hassan on last night's episode wound me up - he was putting no effort in and acting like a little boy even though it was his choice to go to university! I suppose that is the reality of uni life though - some of the people there just won't be putting the effort in. I hope he can pull things around though!

Brenda sort of annoyed me a bit because she spent lots of money (some of it into an overdraft!) on clothes and shoes, but then was saying she couldn't afford university. She could have saved her overdraft and used it to pay rent if she was really struggling that much, but maybe it is more a case of poor money management skills than not having enough to afford it. Kind of makes me realise I will need to be on a tight budget for uni...

Kind of felt for the girl Lauren in the first episode who felt very alone and out of place, but it was nice that eventually she found a group of people that she could get along with.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by brendonbackflip
The problem is it seems like the show wants to make a stereotype out of all the people in it - Aiden the Lad, Josie being insecure which led her to be promiscious, Lauren who is a socially anxious teetotle, the girl (I can't remember her name :colondollar:) who had a very intense ldr...

I agree with you. We're not all like the people in that show. We don't all get drunk and sleep around and end up infecting people with an STI. Its for the stereotypes I don't like it.
Original post by DeterminedDreamer
I agree with you. We're not all like the people in that show. We don't all get drunk and sleep around and end up infecting people with an STI. Its for the stereotypes I don't like it.

Honestly I don't understand why this is supposed to be the "secret" life of students, all it does is encourage widely accepted stereotypes of student personalities, but with texts and tweets to back it up.
hilarious this show, they could actually make several series after this on other unis perhaps
Original post by brendonbackflip
Honestly I don't understand why this is supposed to be the "secret" life of students, all it does is encourage widely accepted stereotypes of student personalities, but with texts and tweets to back it up.

I know it's the most poorly titled documentary ever...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending