The Student Room Group

Your memories from driving lessons

For anyone who has passed, what memories do you have from doing driving lessons? Or doing your driving test?

I still remember my first lesson and how difficult it all seemed. :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

I remember having to remember how to start the car each time and it seemed so complicated, now when I hop in my car it all feels so natural.
Reply 2
Original post by alex2100x
I remember having to remember how to start the car each time and it seemed so complicated, now when I hop in my car it all feels so natural.

Really? I never found starting the car the difficult part :tongue:

Can't wait to start driving since passing!
When the examiner told me to take the right turn (which would lead onto the complicated test route) but I purposely took a left turn which led to the easier test route and the examiner got angry at me :redface: but he cooled down when we finished the test as I passed !
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by James A
When the examiner told me to take the right turn (which would lead onto the complicated test route) but I purposely took a left turn which led to the easier test route and the examiner got angry at me :redface: but he cooled down when we finished the test as I passed !

I had a lovely test route. Wouldn't have changed it in a million years. I got the easiest exit on the worst roundabout. :tongue:
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
I had a lovely test route. Wouldn't have changed it in a million years. I got the easiest exit on the worst roundabout. :tongue:

:ninja:

was that the first exit of the roundabout? :colone:
Reply 6
First time on roundabouts instructor told me to turn right at the roundabout and i thought he actually meant go right instead of left that was awkward for a bit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by James A
:ninja:

was that the first exit of the roundabout? :colone:

It was actually the 4th exit on a 5 exit traffic light controlled roundabout. I had practiced the 4th exit loads of time though, so I knew the exit like the back of my hand. Ok it's actually easier than it sounds :biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by Joeey009
First time on roundabouts instructor told me to turn right at the roundabout and i thought he actually meant go right instead of left that awkward for abit.

Do you mean you went backwards around the roundabout? :curious:
Reply 9

Well i would have if he didn't point it out more clearer 😂

:rofl:
I remember the first time in driving lessons when I had to park... Worst thing ever! It was so hard the first time and I crashed into the cones every time that day. :s-smilie:
I barely remember a thing....mostly likely I just repressed most of the memories :rofl:

Let's just say a lot of mistakes and a deep hate for roundabouts were made on my lessons!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
I remember my lessons well.. i remember sucking. Oh clutch control, how thy taunted me so.
Reply 14
Original post by nemothefish19
I barely remember a thing....mostly likely I just repressed most of the memories :rofl:

Let's just say a lot of mistakes and a deep hate for roundabouts were made on my lessons!

Really? I loved my lessons and I have so many great memories from them.

Original post by Leftee
I remember my lessons well.. i remember sucking. Oh clutch control, how thy taunted me so.

I'm planning to drive an automatic and I know that I'm really going to miss the clutch. :tongue:
I had some really bad experiences with some driving instructors. Did you guys leave them reviews?
Really? I loved my lessons and I have so many great memories from them.

It's all a blur really, I went through a few instructors until I found the one I passed with. And different instructors means different cars and different teaching styles :s-smilie:

It wasn't until after meeting my final instructor that I started to enjoy my lessons and driving!
(edited 9 years ago)
On my test it was going pretty smoothly until I approached a mini roundabout, I signalled right but just as I moved off to go round, it switched off which I for some reason didn't notice! :colondollar: so because of that I nearly ended up colliding with another car (he prob assumed I was going straight) had it not been for the examiner!

needless to say I failed that test haha
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by absurdity69
I had some really bad experiences with some driving instructors. Did you guys leave them reviews?

There is a review page for driving instructors on TSR if that's what you mean.

I didn't review my instructor, but she was brilliant - wouldn't have ever wanted a different instructor.
I remember on one of my first lessons we parked up somewhere, my instructor pulled out his phone and showed me a picture of his last instructor car... A total write off after (IIRC) being in a collision with some woman at a junction who was on her phone and didn't see the traffic lights were on red.

Other memories include almost crashing into the side wall of a tunnel while too busy concentrating on changing gear and my absolutely abysmal parking after just coming back from my test. In my defence I'd never actually bay parked forwards before, I always did it reversing in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending