The Student Room Group

Best places to study computer science for 2015?

I really want to study computer science at university but the league tables don't help as each one is different. Instead I'd like opinions from students, whether you study computer science already or whether you've just gone to an open day. All opinions are helpful and this post is open for just a general discussion where we can just learn and help each other. I would be grateful for any advice given about location, jobs prospects, teaching facilities, reputation of the uni etc.

So far from what I've visited UCL and Imperial seem very good for computer science. I've also looked at Sheffield and their new Diamond building that their building open for autumn 2015 for engineering looks very promising. Exeter is apparently good for computer science and the entry requirements aren't too bad either.

Thanks to anyone who contritubes.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by holdyourbreath
I really want to study computer science at university but the league tables don't help as each one is different. Instead I'd like opinions from students, whether you study computer science already or whether you've just gone to an open day. All opinions are helpful and this post is open for just a general discussion where we can just learn and help each other. I would be grateful for any advice given about location, jobs prospects, teaching facilities, reputation of the uni etc.

So far from what I've visited UCL and Imperial seem very good for computer science. I've also looked at Sheffield and their new Diamond building that their building open for autumn 2015 for engineering looks very promising. Exeter is apparently good for computer science and the entry requirements aren't too bad either.

I declined my Imperial offer (the department seemed soulless and dull, plus the course was a bit too hardware-y for me and I wanted to do a full placement year) for Bath, and haven't regretted it at all. It all depends what you want from a uni, really. You'll have similar job prospects and such within the top 5/10, just be wary of courses that aren't accredited (Exeter's CS course isn't as far as I know.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Damask-
I declined my Imperial offer (the department seemed soulless and dull, plus the course was a bit too hardware-y for me and I wanted to do a full placement year) for Bath, and haven't regretted it at all. It all depends what you want from a uni, really. You'll have similar job prospects and such within the top 5/10, just be wary of courses that aren't accredited (Exeter's CS course isn't as far as I know.)

Thanks for the advice :smile: What do you mean that some courses aren't accredited?
Reply 3

Sheffield, Imperial, UCL, Bath and Warwick. Personally, I've firmed Sheffield for September.
Original post by Revel
Sheffield, Imperial, UCL, Bath and Warwick. Personally, I've firmed Sheffield for September.

Sheffield seems good. What made you choose it over the others?
Reply 5
Sheffield seems good. What made you choose it over the others?

I think probably because I live there, plus the bursaries/grants they offer for people in my circumstances were too good to refuse. It was a toss between Imperial and Sheffield tbh. Imperial was a big player because of it's reputation and graduate prospects, especially because I want to do my masters at Oxford.
What's Manchester University like for CompSci?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Revel
I think probably because I live there, plus the bursaries/grants they offer for people in my circumstances were too good to refuse. It was a toss between Imperial and Sheffield tbh. Imperial was a big player because of it's reputation and graduate prospects, especially because I want to do my masters at Oxford.

Oh I see, thanks for the advice! What sort of grants and bursaries do they provide?
Reply 8
Oh I see, thanks for the advice! What sort of grants and bursaries do they provide?

They offered me free accommodation and £4,000 for each year.
Original post by Revel
They offered me free accommodation and £4,000 for each year.

That's brilliant. Who is it open to? Is there anyway I could find out more?
Original post by ZSHNZ
What's Manchester University like for CompSci?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've heard that it's good. But I've not visited it and I don't know that much.
Reply 11
That's brilliant. Who is it open to? Is there anyway I could find out more?

Unfortunately it's only available to people who have spent 5+ years in care, and have absolutely no family. Sorry :frown:
Original post by Revel
Unfortunately it's only available to people who have spent 5+ years in care, and have absolutely no family. Sorry :frown:

Oh ok, no worries :smile:
Thanks for the advice :smile: What do you mean that some courses aren't accredited?

Google "BCS accreditation." The idea is that leading societies/institutes in industry (so for CS it's the British Computer Society) accredit degrees which cover the minimum content they would expect from a degree in that discipline. Sort of like a seal of approval.
Original post by Damask-
Google "BCS accreditation." The idea is that leading societies/institutes in industry (so for CS it's the British Computer Society) accredit degrees which cover the minimum content they would expect from a degree in that discipline. Sort of like a seal of approval.

Thank you :smile: After looking on the site, it mentions that computer science at Exeter is accredited? Where did you get information that it wasn't from?
Thank you :smile: After looking on the site, it mentions that computer science at Exeter is accredited? Where did you get information that it wasn't from?

Ah, it might have been me thinking of FCH (or they might have started accrediting in recent years, either way you're fine.)
Reply 16
Does anyone here know how good Birmingham is in computer science?
Imperial are top for CompSci, if you don't count Oxbridge.
Original post by indieguy
Imperial are top for CompSci, if you don't count Oxbridge.

On The Guardian, it's actually St Andrews. ICL is second and Oxford is third.
Original post by asmuse123
On The Guardian, it's actually St Andrews. ICL is second and Oxford is third.

Don't believe in that stuff. Do you really think people would dismissed their Oxford's offers for St Andrew? That's a complete joke. As for Oxbridge or Imperial, it depends on which course and whether you like London or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending