The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I am an international applicant. I applied last year to study medicine at Cambridge and was rejected without being given an interview, as I only had three ASs( Biology, Chemistry and Maths) and my BMAT score was low( 4.3, 4.9 and 2.5B). My question is:
Does Cambridge consider re-applicants( without re-evaluating their previous application)?
My current status:
IGCSE: 9A* and 2A
AS: 3A(Biology, Chemistry and Maths), English Literatute, Arabic( Waiting for the results) and Physics(I'll sit it this year)
A Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Arabic( waiting for the results) and Physics.
Also, is it possible to apply with 4 known A-level grades and ONLY one A-level(Physics) still to be taken?
Another question: Would you take into account languages( A-level Arabic and AS English Literature)?
Original post by karesade
I am an international applicant. I applied last year to study medicine at Cambridge and was rejected without being given an interview, as I only had three ASs( Biology, Chemistry and Maths) and my BMAT score was low( 4.3, 4.9 and 2.5B). My question is:
Does Cambridge consider re-applicants( without re-evaluating their previous application)?
My current status:
IGCSE: 9A* and 2A
AS: 3A(Biology, Chemistry and Maths), English Literatute, Arabic( Waiting for the results) and Physics(I'll sit it this year)
A Levels: Biology, Chemistry, Maths, Arabic( waiting for the results) and Physics.
Also, is it possible to apply with 4 known A-level grades and ONLY one A-level(Physics) still to be taken?
Another question: Would you take into account languages( A-level Arabic and AS English Literature)?

Hi there, thanks for your question. Yes, we certainly consider reapplicants and we do not keep any data from the previous year's application aside from the fact that you did apply.

We won't take much, if any, account of your non Science A Levels. You can certainly apply with your A2 grades in hand and the Physics one still to come. Were you to receive an offer it would probably, though not definitely, be unconditional as Maths, Biology and Chemistry are all moe relevant for Medicine than Physics.

You will also need to retake the BMAT and should aim to get over 5.0 in both Section 1 and Section 2, though this is not essential providing the rest of your application is strong.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Hi there, thanks for your question. Yes, we certainly consider reapplicants and we do not keep any data from the previous year's application aside from the fact that you did apply.

We won't take much, if any, account of your non Science A Levels. You can certainly apply with your A2 grades in hand and the Physics one still to come. Were you to receive an offer it would probably, though not definitely, be unconditional as Maths, Biology and Chemistry are all moe relevant for Medicine than Physics.

You will also need to retake the BMAT and should aim to get over 5.0 in both Section 1 and Section 2, though this is not essential providing the rest of your application is strong.

Thanks a lot for replying. You provided me with hope.:smile:
Original post by karesade
Thanks a lot for replying. You provided me with hope.:smile:

You are welcome. Good luck with your results and any re-application.
I recently saw that most if not all science courses are now A*A*A. Does this mean that there is no chance of getting an offer of A*AA when applying for a science subject this year?
Original post by AwesomeSauce#1
I recently saw that most if not all science courses are now A*A*A. Does this mean that there is no chance of getting an offer of A*AA when applying for a science subject this year?

The standard offer is now A*A*A for Science course with the exception of PBS. Offers may be made below that level but not normally without extenuating cirucmstaces.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I'm thinking... I didn't revise for my exams bar 2 of them, because I hadn't visited Cambridge before :lol: I didn't try at all as I'd not known what I'd be missing out on.

Could a student say they didn't revise and then if they seemed good enough receive an A2 UMS offer as opposed to grades?

Has that ever happened? Giving a UMS A2 offer I mean.

didn't you create the official cambridge applicants thread for 2015 entry at the very beginning of the year. before offers for the 2014 cycle were given out.

that makes you a very strong contendor for the most enthusiastic and well prepared candidate on tsr. no point making excuses for bad grades...if you cant even manage AlEVELS how are u going to get into and survive cambridge?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2555215
Original post by FanaticEV
didn't you create the official cambridge applicants thread for 2015 entry at the very beginning of the year. before offers for the 2014 cycle were given out.

that makes you a very strong contendor for the most enthusiastic and well prepared candidate on tsr. no point making excuses for bad grades...if you cant even manage AlEVELS how are u going to get into and survive cambridge?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2555215

It wasn't before was it? And so it was.

Manage A Levels? I could/can easily manage them, I just didn't bother with them. People were doing hours of revision a day and I spent my days watching GoT.

We'll have to wait and see.

It's not until I visited Cambridge I realised it was such a nice place. Hence hadn't revised. Cos I visited after exams.
(edited 9 years ago)
How much experience does Cambridge have with knowing exact international qualification equivalency? I would love to study French with an ab initio language, possibly German, however my IB MYP grades in French and German were 6, which someone would say is equivalent to an A. However, IB languages are more harshly marked and are more likely to be closer to an AS-Level than GCSE?
Obviously there are no GCSE set in stone requirements, but saying I achieved good AS UMS, how much would they disadvantage me?

Basically, In 10 other subjects I got 7 ~ A*, my most relevant subjects were 6 ~ A, what should I do?
The standard offer is now A*A*A for Science course with the exception of PBS. Offers may be made below that level but not normally without extenuating cirucmstaces.

Would this mean that if you are not predicted at least an A*A*A that you will not get an interview or offer?
Reply 230
Hi - thanks for making this thread! It's been really helpful.

If I was ever given an offer (for NatSci), would going to a very good grammar make it higher/more difficult than if I went to the local, decent comprehensive? I'm trying to choose between schools. The grammar sent approx 25 students to Oxbridge last year whereas the sixth form at the comprehensive is just opening this year, so my year group will be the first to take A Levels there.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi I am planning to apply to do maths at Cambridge,
I have 6A*, 3A's, 1B at GCSE, I also have an A level in maths that I completed alongside my GCSE's and I achieved an A* for this with 89% average ums.
This year I took chemistry, physics, biology and further maths all at AS. How will they calculate my UMS average?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xcartoonheart
How much experience does Cambridge have with knowing exact international qualification equivalency? I would love to study French with an ab initio language, possibly German, however my IB MYP grades in French and German were 6, which someone would say is equivalent to an A. However, IB languages are more harshly marked and are more likely to be closer to an AS-Level than GCSE?
Obviously there are no GCSE set in stone requirements, but saying I achieved good AS UMS, how much would they disadvantage me?

Basically, In 10 other subjects I got 7 ~ A*, my most relevant subjects were 6 ~ A, what should I do?

Hi there, we have a good understanding of the equivalency between GCSE and the Middle Years Programme of the IB. We would notice that you got 6s in your languages but with 7s in everything else and then assuming you got good UMS in your AS Levels (especially languages) then you will be in a strong situation.
Original post by AwesomeSauce#1
Would this mean that if you are not predicted at least an A*A*A that you will not get an interview or offer?

It is unlikely that those applying for Sciences with predictions less than A*A*A will be called for interview unless their AS UMS is strong enough to suggest that the predictions might be too harsh.
Original post by Iz279
Hi - thanks for making this thread! It's been really helpful.

If I was ever given an offer (for NatSci), would going to a very good grammar make it higher/more difficult than if I went to the local, decent comprehensive? I'm trying to choose between schools. The grammar sent approx 25 students to Oxbridge last year whereas the sixth form at the comprehensive is just opening this year, so my year group will be the first to take A Levels there.

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad it's been helpful. When choosing which school to go to, it's important that you choose then one where you think you will be happiest and do best. Please don't worry about what Cambridge or any other university will think of the school you choose.
Original post by arrow900
Hi I am planning to apply to do maths at Cambridge,
I have 6A*, 3A's, 1B at GCSE, I also have an A level in maths that I completed alongside my GCSE's and I achieved an A* for this with 89% average ums.
This year I took chemistry, physics, biology and further maths all at AS. How will they calculate my UMS average?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well we produce five different sets of averages that can be useful when assessing candidates. Maths and Further Maths are treated as one subject for the purposes of creating averages and the modules are all taken together to create one 'Maths' average.

Best three: your three best AS subjects averaged together (most useful for Arts & Humanities subjects)

Best four: your four best AS subjects averaged together

SUMS average: Your three most relevant Science subjects (or two Science subjects if you only have two) (Most useful for Nat Sci, Engineering, Comp Sci, Medicine)

Maths & Physics average: Useful for Engineering, Physical Nat Sci & Maths

Maths average: Helpful for Maths, Engineering, Economics & Physical Nat Sci.
Reply 236
If I apply for physical NatSci, do I have to express interest in the other modules aside from mathematics and physics in my personal statement/SAQ, and would it disadvantage me to not mention other modules? Also, would the interview be based on solely physics and maths, and if it is, would it mainly be questions involving the core and mechanics modules?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Osc10
If I apply for physical NatSci, do I have to express interest in the other modules aside from mathematics and physics in my personal statement/SAQ, and would it disadvantage me to not mention other modules? Also, would the interview be based on solely physics and maths?

No, you don't need to express interest in any of the modules. Some colleges will ask Physical Nat Sci applicants whether they are more interested in Physics or Chemistry and will tailor their interviews accordingly, others won't. Most colleges will have an interviewing panel that will consist of a mix of Physicists and Chemists so you should be prepared to answer on either (assuming you have done both at AS Level or equivalent).
No, you don't need to express interest in any of the modules. Some colleges will ask Physical Nat Sci applicants whether they are more interested in Physics or Chemistry and will tailor their interviews accordingly, others won't. Most colleges will have an interviewing panel that will consist of a mix of Physicists and Chemists so you should be prepared to answer on either (assuming you have done both at AS Level or equivalent).

Hi sir, for my modules for further maths, and as an applicant for economics, I intend to take M2 FP1 D1 FP2 S2 and D2, should I replace the d2 with s3 or does it not matter - thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi there,

Does clare college still ask for applicants to sit the TSA for HSPS as it only asks for a school essay on the course page but i remember they asked for the TSA last year, and they still mention the test on their college website?

thanks