The Student Room Group

New research reveals how cannabis compound could slow tumour growth

Scientists at the University of East Anglia have shown how the main psychoactive ingredient in cannabis could reduce tumour growth in cancer patients.
Research published today reveals the existence of previously unknown signaling platforms which are responsible for the drug’s success in shrinking tumours.

It is hoped that the findings could help develop a synthetic equivalent with anti-cancer properties.

The research was co-led with the Universidad Complutense de Madridin, Spain. The team used samples of human cancer cells to induce tumours in mice. They then targeted the tumours with doses of the cannabis compound THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol). They found that two cell receptors in particular were responsible for the drug’s anti-tumour effects.

http://www.uea.ac.uk/mac/comm/media/press/2014/July/cancer-cannabis

So it might be true afterall. :eek:
Reply 1

Already legal for such purposes with license.

You can't just smoke it to kill cancer, the amount required would mean you'd be dead from oxygen deprivation.
I'm convinced that everything in existence either helps cause or prevent at least one type of cancer.

Worth noting that on this one they are looking at creating synthetic equivalents with anti-cancer properties, so it won't help the legalisation debate unfortunately.
Reply 3
Original post by Rakas21
You can't just smoke it to kill cancer, the amount required would mean you'd be dead from oxygen deprivation.

But ingesting a few blobs of hash oil might.
Reply 4
Original post by DarkWhite
I'm convinced that everything in existence either helps cause or prevent at least one type of cancer.

Worth noting that on this one they are looking at creating synthetic equivalents with anti-cancer properties, so it won't help the legalisation debate unfortunately.

Of course, those drug companies have to milk their patents for all their worth while depriving patients of a potentially life saving, safe and cheap medicine.
Reply 5
Original post by n00
But ingesting a few blobs of hash oil might.

You'd need to eat a plate full each day.

You'll just have to wait for the concentration in tablet form.
Reply 6
Original post by Rakas21
You'd need to eat a plate full each day.
What you basing that on? Hash oil is incredibly concentrated,

Original post by Rakas21
You'll just have to wait for the concentration in tablet form.

Nar **** that, not if i or anyone i know gets diagnosed.
Reply 7
Original post by Rakas21
Already legal for such purposes with license.

Killing the cancer completely is sure unlikely, but slowing it down is surely a good thing?

If someone is smoking a bit of cannabis every now and then, even if they aren't completing killing the tumour why shouldn't they be allowed to at least slow its growth?
Again, I hate to debunk the current myth that cannabis cures cancer. Nearly all of these experiments, including this one, has only been shown to work in mice.

There is little or no evidence that it cures human cancers. I'm not saying this isn't good news, it's good to see that progress is being made in the fight against cancer. I just don't want to see anyone saying "Cannabis is illegal but it cures cancer ect..."
Reply 9
Original post by Eloades11
Again, I hate to debunk the current myth that cannabis cures cancer. Nearly all of these experiments, including this one, has only been shown to work in mice.
Well this does suggest that it may not be a myth.

There is little or no evidence that it cures human cancers. I'm not saying this isn't good news, it's good to see that progress is being made in the fight against cancer. I just don't want to see anyone saying "Cannabis is illegal but it cures cancer ect..."

Given how safe cannabis is its enough to convince me that it would at least be worth a try.
Original post by n00
Well this does suggest that it may not be a myth.

Given how safe cannabis is its enough to convince me that it would at least be worth a try.

No, no it doesn't. Very few experiments which work on mice will work in humans.

I don't know about how safe it is, or why it hasn't been legalised. All I know is that there's little evidence which suggests it will work in human cancers. In the article it states they used human cancer cells to induce tumours in mice. The drug may be able to target human cancer cells and leave mice cells, but I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that this drug won't be able to distinguish between human cancer cells and normal healthy human cells.

All this experiment has done is identify potential target receptors which may or may not be involved in human cancers.
Reply 11
No, no it doesn't. Very few experiments which work on mice will work in humans.

I don't know about how safe it is, or why it hasn't been legalised. All I know is that there's little evidence which suggests it will work in human cancers. In the article it states they used human cancer cells to induce tumours in mice. The drug may be able to target human cancer cells and leave mice cells, but I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that this drug won't be able to distinguish between human cancer cells and normal healthy human cells.

All this experiment has done is identify potential target receptors which may or may not be involved in human cancers.

Course it does. The myth is that cannabis is proven to cure cancer, but it may cure cancer. You're just as incorrect in saying that it's a myth that cannabis cures cancer as you would be saying it does.
Reply 12
I'm willing to bet my bottom dollar that this drug won't be able to distinguish between human cancer cells and normal healthy human cells.

Missed this. I'd probably take this bet, how much are we talking?
cannabinoids (THC) and cannabis are different. cannabis firstly is mixed with tobacco, which causes cancer. honestly there really is no interest in developing cannabinoids for cancer treatments. it is old and it has been done years ago and it does not work in humans for this. what is done now is just academic, on mice, no one cares. there is no evidence they make good treatments. the current breakthroughs cancer treatments, e.g. PD-1 agents, have been show to do the impossible (potentially cure metastatic melanoma cancer in humans), which is unheard of. in the current century with immunotherapy for cancer showing potentially curative options, no drug company is going to waste there time on cannabinoids for cancer when you have drugs currently available that work much better and those in development that can potential cure even advanced cancer.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Revenged
cannabinoids (THC) and cannabis are different.
Cannabis contains THC and other cannabinoids not sure what your point is.

cannabis firstly is mixed with tobacco, which causes cancer.

Not in my house it isn't.

honestly there really is no interest in developing cannabinoids for cancer treatments.
Well clearly you're wrong, hence this research.

it is old and it has been done years ago and it does not work in humans for this.
Where did you get that from?

what is done now is just academic, on mice, no one cares. there is no evidence they make good treatments. the current breakthroughs cancer treatments, e.g. PD-1 agents, have been show to do the impossible (potentially cure metastatic melanoma cancer in humans), which is unheard of. in the current century with immunotherapy for cancer showing potentially curative options, no drug company is going to waste there time on cannabinoids for cancer when you have drugs currently available that work much better and those in development that can potential cure even advanced cancer.
How do you know they work much better if no drug company is going to waste their time on an unpatentable drug? And of course those treatments can and should still be used along side cannabis. Cannabis is so safe i really can't begin to understand why anyone would not want to give it a try.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
cannabinoids (THC) and cannabis are different. cannabis firstly is mixed with tobacco, which causes cancer. honestly there really is no interest in developing cannabinoids for cancer treatments. it is old and it has been done years ago and it does not work in humans for this. what is done now is just academic, on mice, no one cares. there is no evidence they make good treatments. the current breakthroughs cancer treatments, e.g. PD-1 agents, have been show to do the impossible (potentially cure metastatic melanoma cancer in humans), which is unheard of. in the current century with immunotherapy for cancer showing potentially curative options, no drug company is going to waste there time on cannabinoids for cancer when you have drugs currently available that work much better and those in development that can potential cure even advanced cancer.

However these drugs usually cost absolute fortunes, and the NHS rarely decides to agree to fund the treatment for somebody. So unless the person is extremely rich and can buy their own treatment, they really aren't that effective.

Cannabis even if not a ultimate over-all cure for cancer is looking to at least slow down its growth, and is and has long been used to treat chronic pains such as arthritis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending