The Student Room Group

do you think grammar is important nowadays in communication?

Hi, my name is erick and i am an indonesian. I am 18 years old and now sitting in form 5 highschool. Today we received an assignment from our english teacher to look for some foreigner friends to discuss the importance of grammar in foreign language and i hope all friends here can help me. Thank you.

Yes, especially when you're writing your curriculum vitae! This is because any grammatical mistakes can create a bad impression and you may therefore not get an interview from the employer. Moreover, it reflects on your level of education. What I mean by this is you may notice that well educated individuals may use much more sophisticated vocabulary and they would say things properly. When communicating, like the other user has said, meaning and clarity is much more important.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi erick!

Put simply, I believe that meaning is more important than accuracy in general communication (I won't go into academic/work settings) So, if someone uses an odd structure/verb form, but the message is still clear, it would be fruitless to interrupt the communication to 'correct' them.
Reply 3
Most people haven't studied grammar and don't really know what it is, so, no, it's not very important. People use the language without knowing why things are like they are and just make whatever choice feels appropriate to them, not what is correct. You're still going to communicate the message clearly most of the time.
As long as the message can be understood it doesn't matter.The Government is trying to push for more Spelling,Punctuation and Grammar marks in GCSEs and I can't understand why when if the examiners understand it then there is no problem and if it can't be understood then obviously the student won't get good marks.I think it is only really English nerds who care for Spelling,Punctuation and Grammar.Studying Maths and Science based AS Levels and having a logical mind I fail to understand how grammar rules can simply be set in stone people should have to proof that has to be the case the same as someone proved atoms had electrons inside them if you can't do that then people should be able to use Spelling,Punctuation and Grammar as freely as they please as long as it is understood each persons use of Spelling,Punctuation and Grammar should convey their personality and the lack of Spelling,Punctuation and Grammar can be used as an effect eg.to show that someone is running fastly in a text.It is hard to doubt that language is an opinionated subject its not science so shouldn't be treat as such thus everyone should be able to use the language as they please providing it is understood.
I would say it varies. For the likes of texting and obviously tweeting grammar is less important as long as the message is clear, anywhere where there is a space economy poorer grammar is acceptable. When you move onto the internet, depends where you are. On social media for most things poor grammar is, again, fine but it shouldn't be the shoddy level that exists in texting, moving onto forums and the likes it should improve again, not necessarily perfect, but pretty good (not least because you might get roasted otherwise), same goes for email really. For anything formal, as correct as possible.
Original post by Dalek1099
As long as the message can be understood it doesn't matter.The Government is trying to push for more Spelling,Punctuation and Grammar marks in GCSEs and I can't understand why when if the examiners understand it then there is no problem and if it can't be understood then obviously the student won't get good marks.I think it is only really English nerds who care for Spelling,Punctuation and Grammar.Studying Maths and Science based AS Levels and having a logical mind I fail to understand how grammar rules can simply be set in stone people should have to proof that has to be the case the same as someone proved atoms had electrons inside them if you can't do that then people should be able to use Spelling,Punctuation and Grammar as freely as they please as long as it is understood each persons use of Spelling,Punctuation and Grammar should convey their personality and the lack of Spelling,Punctuation and Grammar can be used as an effect eg.to show that someone is running fastly in a text.It is hard to doubt that language is an opinionated subject its not science so shouldn't be treat as such thus everyone should be able to use the language as they please providing it is understood.

I don't agree.

I think grammar is quite important as it reflects on how well you understand your language and also your ability to correctly convey your opinions.

It's a vital part of communication that can lead to misinterpretation and it often just looks unprofessional when there are errors.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I don't agree.

I think grammar is quite important as it reflects on how well you understand your language and also your ability to correctly convey your opinions.

It's a vital part of communication that can lead to misinterpretation and it often just looks unprofessional when there are errors.

Unless the rules of a language can be proven in the same way science is then languages should always be opinionated there shouldn't be set rules to how natives speak it and it should reflect your own style of the language.To be fair I'm not sure if it does look unprofessional anymore after I am use to seeing leaflets with not a single comma on a page of writing and tonnes of grammatical mistakes its normal for things to have bad grammar.
Unless the rules of a language can be proven in the same way science is then languages should always be opinionated there shouldn't be set rules to how natives speak it and it should reflect your own style of the language.To be fair I'm not sure if it does look unprofessional anymore after I am use to seeing leaflets with not a single comma on a page of writing and tonnes of grammatical mistakes its normal for things to have bad grammar.

Well there are set rules. You just don't formally learn them.

Your sentences are riddled with them, and it makes it harder to understand what you're trying to say at times.

And those leaflets are probably those tiny businesses making no money.
Let's eat, Grandma.

Let's eat Grandma.

There's a difference, grammar saves lives.
Original post by Le Nombre
Let's eat, Grandma.

Let's eat Grandma.

Case in point Dalek.

You never use commas, how many grannies have been eaten?!
Original post by erik-tjoe
Hi, my name is erick and i am an indonesian. I am 18 years old and now sitting in form 5 highschool. Today we received an assignment from our english teacher to look for some foreigner friends to discuss the importance of grammar in foreign language and i hope all friends here can help me. Thank you.

Good Day Erick

You have been given a very interesting assignment. If you browse through the posts on this website you will notice a great variablility in the quality of grammar !
On the chat section people take the least notice of the rules which are designed to help them communicate their ideas clearly and concisely.
I am sure all the posters here could produce good quality grammar if they wanted, but they are worried that they will not be seen as the "cool kids", so instead they write sloppy street slang.

I hope that this is of some use my friend

Please do not hesitate do enquire further should the need arise.

Your obedient servant

bear™

There's a difference between being understood and being understood easily. I can just about understand what you're saying, but I have to read it 2/3 times to be certain. I can almost guarantee you do not have to do the same for my writing. That is no bad thing, in real life time costs money. If I'm having to read a report or even email you've written 2/3 times then my employer is paying me unnecessarily due to your mistakes.

If english is not you're first language then yes.
It's formal english and more of a challenge to learn.
Once you master formal english you can start to relax with grammar rules as you start to incorporate informal casual english like "txt" speak.
Original post by Le Nombre
Let's eat, Grandma.

Let's eat Grandma.

:lol: :rofl:
Reply 15
Grammar is important at every level; without it, we'd all be talking gibberish. It's the difference between "knowing your ****" and "knowing you're ****" or between helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Thank you shaolin punk. Yes, English is one of the challenging language to learn especially for me which it is not my first language here. By the way, do you mind to intro yourself, where are you from as I need to gather some of the discussion from friends from different countries. Thanks.
Thank you shaolin punk. Yes, English is one of the challenging language to learn especially for me which it is not my first language here. By the way, do you mind to intro yourself, where are you from as I need to gather some of the discussion from friends from different countries. Thanks.

Wales here!
Reply 18
Thanks friend. You do really help me a lot. Have a nice day :smile:
Reply 19
Thank you all friends for spending your time and sharing such a useful and valuable information for me. You all do really help me a lot. I agree that English is one of the challenging language to learn especially for me who come from country which English isn't the main language. Just want to gather a little bit information as I only join this discussion forum for the first time, No offense but just want to ask are you all or all members here from 1 country or different country? Because 1 of my assignment task also need to gather some informations from friends who come from different countries such as Australian, American, Europe, etc. Thanks. Have a nice day. :smile: -Erik-

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending