The Student Room Group

Failed and withdrawn from uni, mitigating circumstances rejected.

I'm looking for advice or anyone with previous experience on this matter. Sorry for the wall of text - I feel extremely flustered!

I recently received my examination results the decision was to withdraw me from the course. I feel this decision was unfair as I wasn't even give the chance to defer my exams until September.

My reason for failing was because my performance throughout the year was affected by the loss of my grandmother (mothers side) early in the year and the illness of my mother; this is what I included in my mitigating circumstances.

Also a few days before the exams, my OTHER grandmother (paternal side) passed away which furthered my anxiety and depression (which I am receiving treatment for). This occurred AFTER I submitted the mitigating circumstances above.

Does anyone know whether I have a strong case or any advice on how to approach the appeal process?
Did you provide all the death certificates and a doctor's note stating you're being treated for anxiety and depression? If so (and I'm no expert on these matters), I would think they are being unfair and that you should appeal. Chucking someone out just because they have had a bad year isn't really on if they have mental health problems :nope:

With regards to how to appeal, there should be a paragraph about how to do this in your uni's handbook, if you were given one when you started. Otherwise approach your SU, who can advise you further and send representatives to meetings you may have to attend :yes:
(edited 9 years ago)
I would personally recommend speaking to a representative of your SU. If you have the right documentation and it explains why you didn't perform to your best then I would say that you have a strong case.

Really sorry :hugs:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Did you provide all the death certificates and a doctor's note stating you're being treated for anxiety and depression? If so (and I'm no expert on these matters), I would think they are being unfair and that you should appeal. Chucking someone out just because they have had a bad year isn't really on if they have mental health problems :nope:

With regards to how to appeal, there should be a paragraph about how to do this in your uni's handbook, if you were given one when you started. Otherwise approach your SU, who can advise you further and send representatives to meetings you may have to attend :yes:

I did not provide any death certificates because they were difficult to obtain (they are abroad), and honestly I thought a letter from the uni counselor was sufficient. I guess I was wrong.

I am also seeing an external therapist so will ask a statement from him as additional evidence and i guess I will have to ask my parents to obtain the death certificates. I didn't want to ask my parents initially because I didn't want them to worry!
Original post by Rxamphetamine
I did not provide any death certificates because they were difficult to obtain (they are abroad), and honestly I thought a letter from the uni counselor was sufficient. I guess I was wrong.

I am also seeing an external therapist so will ask a statement from him as additional evidence and i guess I will have to ask my parents to obtain the death certificates. I didn't want to ask my parents initially because I didn't want them to worry!

Can totally understand why you didn't ask your parents. I'd def go to the SU and talk to them about this and in the meantime, gather all the evidence you might need. It may be that the letter from the uni counsellor wasn't enough :frown: So maybe try and get the death certificates if at all possible. Also talk to your university's disability office - depression and anxiety come under mental health disabilities and it's illegal to discriminate against you based on that :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Can totally understand why you didn't ask your parents. I'd def go to the SU and talk to them about this and in the meantime, gather all the evidence you might need. It may be that the letter from the uni counsellor wasn't enough :frown: So maybe try and get the death certificates if at all possible. Also talk to your university's disability office - depression and anxiety come under mental health disabilities and it's illegal to discriminate against you based on that :yes:

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help.
Astonished they rejected them things. University bureaucracies really can be *****. I'd do a university appeal and if not, an Ombudsmen appeal. Sorry for your loss.
Original post by Rxamphetamine
I did not provide any death certificates because they were difficult to obtain (they are abroad), and honestly I thought a letter from the uni counselor was sufficient. I guess I was wrong...

What you have to bear in mind is that those who are responsible for considering things like deferrals and mitigating circumstances on behalf of your University will be bound by regulations and guidelines as to what you, the student, should provide by way of reasons and evidence and when these things should be provided. Usually what they look for is something that amounts to 'independent corroborating evidence' which supports your reasons which is why things like death certificates are usually sought. Provided the decisions made by your University in relation to you have been consistent with their regulations and guidelines you probably won't have a strong case under appeal, but don't let that stop you from making one. As others have suggested, look for advice from your Student Union and maybe try to familiarise yourself with whatever regulations were applicable to your requests for deferral and/or mitigating circumstances.
Original post by Axiomasher
What you have to bear in mind is that those who are responsible for considering things like deferrals and mitigating circumstances on behalf of your University will be bound by regulations and guidelines as to what you, the student, should provide by way of reasons and evidence and when these things should be provided. Usually what they look for is something that amounts to 'independent corroborating evidence' which supports your reasons which is why things like death certificates are usually sought. Provided the decisions made by your University in relation to you have been consistent with their regulations and guidelines you probably won't have a strong case under appeal, but don't let that stop you from making one. As others have suggested, look for advice from your Student Union and maybe try to familiarise yourself with whatever regulations were applicable to your requests for deferral and/or mitigating circumstances.

Yeah, I'm wondering whether they rejected my mitigating circumstances due to insufficient corroborating evidence or whether they thought my circumstance was not significant.

Hopefully I can clear things out with the chair of the board when I provide the death certificates and doctor / psychotherapist letters.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending