The Student Room Group

MH17 flight down in Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Don't hold your breath. I'd say it's pretty likely that well never know the truth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We know nothing as of yet hopefully some truth will shed to light sooner or later.
I've heard this too but my colleague (who know far more about this stuff than I do) has suggested that that was just a rumor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope was reported in russian media.... it disappeared off the main page, but they're yet to fully take it down.

http://itar-tass.com/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/1325017
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by CEKTOP
The official twitter account of the DPR up until very recently contained images of an allegedly captured Buk AA system.

There is no mystery here.

There are quotes on twitter from separatist leaders claiming to have shot down what they thought to be a Ukranian military jet just after the Malaysian flight was shot down. It's pretty clear what has likely happened.
Original post by DanB1991
Nope was reported in russian media.... it disappeared of the main page, but they're ret to fully take it down.

http://itar-tass.com/mezhdunarodnaya-panorama/1325017

Will id say that probably a pretty strong pointer as to what really happened then.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
ill be waiting for a bit for information. obviously Kiev will say its the separatists even if they have no proof though its likely that it was the separatists,

though i dont think the separatists have huge support anyway if a group is involved then public opinion will turn against them.
I've heard this too but my colleague (who know far more about this stuff than I do) has suggested that that was just a rumor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No it wasn't. The story was released by the Pro-Russian's saying thay had shot down two aircraft. When it came out that an airliner had fallen out of the sky, the Pro Russian's went very quiet and removed the stories. I understand that they are searchable though.

Original post by Drewski
Some have and some more will be (Virgin have just said some of theirs will be re-routed tonight), but despite all the incidents that have happened around the world for decades, these flight paths still exist and flying over such areas is still pretty common.

Indeed - despite any advisory notices issued, it is up to the airlines to set routes... unless airspace is closed.

Apparently another flight, an A380, was just behind MH17 on the same route.
Original post by DaveSmith99
There are quotes on twitter from separatist leaders claiming to have shot down what they thought to be a Ukranian military jet just after the Malaysian flight was shot down. It's pretty clear what has likely happened.

No even just a jet, a high alt Ilyushin-76 troop carrier.
Original post by DanB1991
No even just a jet, a high alt Ilyushin-76 troop carrier.

Which, aside from being 4 engined rather than a B777's 2 engines, is almost the exact same size as the aircraft hit.
Original post by Drewski
Which, aside from being 4 engined rather than a B777's 2 engines, is almost the exact same size as the aircraft hit.

777s are about 50 percent bigger in every dimension than ilyushins.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Original post by Drewski

It's disturbing how easy it is to mistake civilian craft for military, it's happened far too many times.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Drewski

And at 33,000ft the rebels are only going to know roughly what type of plane it is.

Ontop of the Rebels own bragging in terms of equipment and what they have shot down.... a PR disaster.
i suppose we must be grateful that it was not an American flight which the Russians appear to have shot down.
A passenger on the plane uploaded a picture of it at the gate on facebook, just before bording. The caption read: "If it disappears, this is what it looks like."

:frown:
(edited 9 years ago)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well the Ilyushin is roughly 150m long and depending on the variant the 777s are 200-250m long. Wingspan is only slightly longer.

At 33,000ft it's obviously much harder to tell the difference anyway even with relatively high tech equipment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which isn't at all visible from 6 miles away.
Original post by Drewski
Which isn't at all visible from 6 miles away.

Yeah I know.

Interestingly enough the Ukrainian goverment moved a buk system to Donetsk yesterday. Coincidence or no?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aj12
It's disturbing how easy it is to mistake civilian craft for military, it's happened far too many times.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes and no... A lot of military aircraft are based on civilian aircraft. Outwardly they're pretty similar.
Take the American RC-135 family ( which we also now operate), it's based on the old B707 airframe and is almost the same size as both the B737 and Airbus A320 families.
This is pretty sad, bet a bunch of the passengers were simply going on holiday
Original post by Drewski
Yes and no... A lot of military aircraft are based on civilian aircraft. Outwardly they're pretty similar.
Take the American RC-135 family ( which we also now operate), it's based on the old B707 airframe and is almost the same size as both the B737 and Airbus A320 families.

The point still stands though that it's not exactly easy to distinguish similar looking planes from 6 miles, let alone notice a couple of blinking red lights indicating it to be a civilian plane. There have been cases where fighters a couple of hundred yards away have claimed they couldn't see the lights, let alone 6 miles away.
Russian news agency LifeNews is releasing pictures of the crash site. They're showing a collection of passports, most are Dutch. some are Malaysian.

They have also posted a list which I assume is of the deceased, with name and DOB. Some of the people have Facebook/Twitter, so friends and family could receive a terrible shock.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending