The Student Room Group

Why do straight guys treat gay guys mean?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BoyWithTheThorn
Why do people post threads poor grammar?

IDK, why DO people 'post threads poor grammar'?
Original post by Oar
I've never experienced a straight male be mean to me. I have a few straight friends mock me or use banter about being gay but I just laugh along with it.
It fathoms me why anyone would want to be mean anyway! :confused:

Maybe it's just because you look/act more outwardly hetero, (or the stereotype of what people view hetero as anyway) and are one of the few gays that are blessed with the mystical ability to make friends with straight guys?
Original post by Anonymous
WOT WUD U DO IF HE WAS SECRETLY IN LUV WIV U?? ;OOO and yeah exactly, I don't get it?

But why? Like what's cool? The fact that they are targeting someone weaker than them, but it being acceptable since they're not actually a girl.

Ha, he's already admitted to being in love with my brother, so I think I'm safe!

I think people are bullied for differentiating from the "societal norm", etc. Luckily, though, people are becoming more tolerant of gay people.
You didn't offend me at all, I'm really glad you were frank :biggrin: and tbh I agree with 99% of what you said.

Apart from 99% don't bully gays; even if it's not like outward obvious bullying, they just kinda treat them differently. Maybe not bullying I guess, that's not really the right word...

But them bitchy gays on FB tho -_________________________________________________-

Whew that's good.

Hmm yeah I see your point, I would definitely say 99% of guys don't actively bully gays as in properly verbally or physically. At least where I live anyway. But yes unfortunately I think a lot are treated a little differently which is a shame, but you don't HAVE to tell people you're gay. I mean at least things are improving, perhaps I'm being a little naive but considering in the 70s (or 80s?) being gay was still a mental illness in the US, things have definitely improved and looking better day by day :smile:

And yep. Them bitchy gays really don't help the gay community, at all.
IDK, why DO people 'post threads poor grammar'?

They can't be bothered to use grammar correctly? The cheek of it! :mad:

*Resident Grammar Nazi leaves thread*
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Keyser-Soze
Ha, he's already admitted to being in love with my brother, so I think I'm safe!

I think people are bullied for differentiating from the "societal norm", etc. Luckily, though, people are becoming more tolerant of gay people.

Omg no waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. But what if it's a cover and he secretly <3's you?

And yeah I guess. And that's true I guess, but I feel as though as straight men (and women) accept gays men more, they put them in the same category as women, rather than their own space?
People will seize on anything different and bully you for it. Could be gayness, could be red hair, could be having six fingers. They mainly do it as a display of/claim on a high position in the social hierarchy and to distract the attentions of those who are even higher in the social hierarchy than they are and who might therefore bully them.
Original post by AdamCee

Why do guys bully gay guys
1) 99% don't.
2) 1% that do, either do it to be funny, because they are ignorant either not agreeing with it due to religion or just general ignorance

Sorry, this bit is pure rubbish. About 3/4 of the boys in my year or more, treated me like an outcast for being homosexual. Most men I have come across treat me like so because of it... I have only met about 10 to 20 who haven't. So, from personal experience, I can say that I don't agree with this whatsoever.
Original post by BoyWithTheThorn
They can't be bothered to use grammar correctly? The cheek of it! :mad:

*Resident Grammar Nazi leaves thread*

P.S. To answer the thread, they probably think they want to shag em?

Omg, good point.

Original post by scrotgrot
People will seize on anything different and bully you for it. Could be gayness, could be red hair, could be having six fingers. They mainly do it as a display of/claim on a high position in the social hierarchy and to distract the attentions of those who are even higher in the social hierarchy than they are and who might therefore bully them.

Yeah true. Tbh white heterosexual males are pretty much the top of the social hierarchy and always have been (and probably always will be), and they, and everyone else, knows it.

Original post by AdamCee
Whew that's good.

Hmm yeah I see your point, I would definitely say 99% of guys don't actively bully gays as in properly verbally or physically. At least where I live anyway. But yes unfortunately I think a lot are treated a little differently which is a shame, but you don't HAVE to tell people you're gay. I mean at least things are improving, perhaps I'm being a little naive but considering in the 70s (or 80s?) being gay was still a mental illness in the US, things have definitely improved and looking better day by day :smile:

And yep. Them bitchy gays really don't help the gay community, at all.

I guess.. But even if it's not evident it feels like it's always bubbling on the surface, maybe it's just gay paranoia? But yeah, I personally believe that it is a mental illness in a way tbh, but that's irrelevant. And yeah you don't have to tell people true, but for some people it's impossible to hide their gayness, as I'm sure you're aware xD
Original post by JayJay-C19
Sorry, this bit is pure rubbish. About 3/4 of the boys in my year or more, treated me like an outcast for being homosexual. Most men I have come across treat me like so because of it... I have only met about 10 to 20 who haven't. So, from personal experience, I can say that I don't agree with this whatsoever.

Don't worry brotha, their straight male privilege blinds them to the truth :redface:
I know a few gay people , but i don't really associate with them.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I know a few gay people , but i don't really associate with them.

Why's that? How do you feel about gays?
Omg no waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. But what if it's a cover and he secretly <3's you?

And yeah I guess. And that's true I guess, but I feel as though as straight men (and women) accept gays men more, they put them in the same category as women, rather than their own space?

Then I'd have to break his heart because I have a girlfriend :wink:

I think they put them in the same category as women because they like men in the same way women do? But also because SOME gay guys have more in common with women than they do men, or they act more like women (don't mean this in an offensive way.)

My friend isn't like this, though. I actually didn't even know he was gay until he told me. So I guess he was just bullied because of the stigma attached to that title.
Why's that? How do you feel about gays?

My feeling towards them is completely neutral , not positive or negative.
maybe their mannerisms are very differnt. gay men of any age for some reason seem to want to act like sex-starved american teenage schoolgirls in the way they talk and act. i think their favourite topic is sex, i once overheard two middle aged gay men talking about their Grinder App, was shocking
Original post by Keyser-Soze
Then I'd have to break his heart because I have a girlfriend :wink:

I think they put them in the same category as women because they like men in the same way women do? But also because SOME gay guys have more in common with women than they do men, or they act more like women (don't mean this in an offensive way.)

My friend isn't like this, though. I actually didn't even know he was gay until he told me. So I guess he was just bullied because of the stigma attached to that title.

Aww </3

Some gays are blessed with the ability to befriend straight boys :/
Original post by TSR Mustafa
My feeling towards them is completely neutral , not positive or negative.

OIC...

maybe their mannerisms are very differnt. gay men of any age for some reason seem to want to act like sex-starved american teenage schoolgirls in the way they talk and act. i think their favourite topic is sex, i once overheard two middle aged gay men talking about their Grinder App, was shocking

I can see you have a lot of anger but dats okaii <33 Clearly what you said is a bit misguided :')
Original post by JayJay-C19

As I said earlier. From my experience. How gay people are treated will vary from town to town by for the boys that came out in my year very few thought any less of them.
So why do straight guys bully gay guys? I know some don't, but majority of interactions between straight and gay guys has been negative. Also, why do gay guys tend to make friends with straight females? Do you think straight guys begin to view these gay guys as women also? Especially in a school/college setting with teens where these cliques are more prominent?

Str8 guys can u help out pls? Or gay ones, or str8 girls too (+ gay ones lel)
THANKS Y'ALL!

I think that most straight boys, during the time they're at school, are too concerned by what everyone else would think of them associating with someone who's gay. So, because of that, they feel the need to make it v.e.r.y clear they don't like gays/aren't gay themselves. So, I think that most people don't themselves have an issue with homosexuals, just purely the attitudes of others if they were to be friends with them people.

However, there are many guys who are completely obsessed by girls and sex that they appear to believe that if they associate with a gay person, that gay person is going to want to have sex with them and it's not true at all.

There are also some heterosexuals who struggle with their own sexuality and vent their frustration by being homophobic and hoping that it will make them change for whatever reason. I have met people like this who turned out gay.

I do, however, completely disagree that loads of gays are feminine and have female attitudes and such - I think they just have been rejected by so many of their own gender that they feel it's necessary to do whatever they can to fit in with those that accept them which, 9 times out of 10, is a girl or group of girls. I know this from personal experience. I had a best friend who was straight and after I came out he rejected me and didn't want to be friends with me anymore and we were so close. So, due to that rejection I hung around with a big group of girls and started to pick up traits like bitchiness, speaking fast, higher pitched voice, being too forward, etc.etc.

After I realised that was just fake and pushing people away, I just stopped. I then had a few male friends. A lot of them stopped associating with me after their friends accused them of being gay because of me.

Quite funny actually, one boy in my year kissed me at my pals party and then returned to school and persecuted the life out of me for being gay - t'was amusing.
OIC...

I can see you have a lot of anger but dats okaii <33 Clearly what you said is a bit misguided :')

it is really true, i observed the way gay men talked during the Pride festival, it was like grown man trying to talk like hannah montanna. and then there was a man who was trying to dress like her to i think.
often straight men cannot relate to this culture.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending