The Student Room Group

First time applying job seekers

Hi guys

I'm going to be applying for job seekers temporarily.It asks about savings and whether I took any loans, I claimed disabled student allowance and took a loan for 1 semester in my final year only, the rest were grants which i don't have to pay back.Do I have to write all these in the application, for the money I recieved for the whole three years of my degree?And also is this information kept confidential, as I might be doing some work experience there and I would rather not people know about the DSA. Also I'm worried if they ask about why I applied for DSA (I had depression in my second and third year) Since I want to get work experience though the job centre will this not be too personal for them to know?

Please advise, thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Justfedup
Hi guys

I'm going to be applying for job seekers temporarily.It asks about savings and whether I took any loans, I claimed disabled student allowance and took a loan for 1 semester in my final year only, the rest were grants which i don't have to pay back.Do I have to write all these in the application, for the money I recieved for the whole three years of my degree?And also is this information kept confidential, as I might be doing some work experience there and I would rather not people know about the DSA. Also I'm worried if they ask about why I applied for DSA (I had depression in my second and third year) Since I want to get work experience though the job centre will this not be too personal for them to know?

Please advise, thanks.

Chances are that the dole wont check your bank account. They may ask for statements tho. I told them I had even less money than what I actually had and I didnt have any issues with it. Be cautious tho, if you miss an appointment assigned by your job centre they WILL dock you at least a months dole. If you do I strongly advise you to make up a plausible excuse that they cant prove, such as feeling unwell, too unwell to go to the docs but your OK now. They will also expect you to prove your looking for work. In my case this was by giving me a handbook to write down my jobseeking activities. If you havent done much then just make something up "I asked in my local Tescos if there was any jobs going" etc.
With regards to loans and payments into your bank account then it would be unwise to lie about this stuff as it can easily be traced.
The jobcentre, among other government disorganisations, are abysmal in the way its run. Dont expect much help from them. As for confidentiality, I have uploaded my CV many times to apply for jobs online and I get loads of BS telemarketing calls.
Reply 2
Original post by Laomedeia
Chances are that the dole wont check your bank account. They may ask for statements tho. I told them I had even less money than what I actually had and I didnt have any issues with it. Be cautious tho, if you miss an appointment assigned by your job centre they WILL dock you at least a months dole. If you do I strongly advise you to make up a plausible excuse that they cant prove, such as feeling unwell, too unwell to go to the docs but your OK now. They will also expect you to prove your looking for work. In my case this was by giving me a handbook to write down my jobseeking activities. If you havent done much then just make something up "I asked in my local Tescos if there was any jobs going" etc.
With regards to loans and payments into your bank account then it would be unwise to lie about this stuff as it can easily be traced.
The jobcentre, among other government disorganisations, are abysmal in the way its run. Dont expect much help from them. As for confidentiality, I have uploaded my CV many times to apply for jobs online and I get loads of BS telemarketing calls.

This is interesting, as so do I after I've uploaded my CV to multiple sites.

I just ignore my phone unless it's someone in my phonebook anyway.

To the OP

I think by loans, they mean bank loans etc, not student finance, but best put it down anyway. Best being honest

I had quite a bit of savings when I was on JSA and it wasn't a problem

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending