The Student Room Group

MH17 flight down in Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

It's also yet another bad day for Malaysian Airlines, third issue they've had in the last 4 months, even if this has nothing to do with them.
Original post by LightBlueSoldier

Interestingly enough the Ukrainian goverment moved a buk system to Donetsk yesterday. Coincidence or no?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Source?

Original post by 122025278
Russian news agency LifeNews is releasing pictures of the crash site. They're showing a collection of passports, most are Dutch. some are Malaysian.

They have also posted a list which I assume is of the deceased, with name and DOB. Some of the people have Facebook/Twitter, so friends and family could receive a terrible shock.

Yes, this is most insensitive.

BBC news was earlier showing images from a Russian news agency. The pictures showed a passport open on the photo ID page clearly showing the holder's face.

I'd have thought that news outlets would refrain from showing such things.
(edited 9 years ago)
What could Ukraine gain from shooting it down? duh, pin it on Russia and draw up support to attack them. This is why the US-EU have taken over Ukraine with their funded coup anyway because it's leading up to a war on Russia who as far as I'm concerned have only defended themselves and their people.
Original post by DarioNaharis
What could Ukraine gain from shooting it down? duh, pin it on Russia and draw up support to attack them. This is why the US-EU have taken over Ukraine with their funded coup anyway because it's leading up to a war on Russia who as far as I'm concerned have only defended themselves and their people.

I think you're overthinking a little bit here. For one, I damn well hope US-EU aren't looking for a war with Russia. Also, accidents aren't impossible in war, especially when you think something you want to shoot down should be passing through the area and something that looks almost identical does so.
23 U.S. citizens onboard
Original post by InnerTemple
I'd have thought that news outlets would refrain from showing such things.

Not these days. Crowded marketplace, have to do whatever it takes to get people to watch your product. News is just something to sell, not to raise the bar with knowledge and facts in a sombre way.

Have you got any reports which are not from a source accused of bias and of distributing Russian state-sanctioned propaganda?

This on the BBC:

A tweet (in Russian) from a key Twitter account used by pro-Russian separatists, in which they claim to have captured a Buk surface-to-air missile system, has now been deleted, BBC Monitoring observes. Ukrainians say the Malaysian plane could have been downed with a Buk, but pro-Russian rebels have now denied they have it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original twitter image of the rebel held Buk launcher
ukraine image.png
Have you got any reports which are not from a source accused of bias and of distributing Russian state-sanctioned propaganda?

This on the BBC:

A tweet (in Russian) from a key Twitter account used by pro-Russian separatists, in which they claim to have captured a Buk surface-to-air missile system, has now been deleted, BBC Monitoring observes. Ukrainians say the Malaysian plane could have been downed with a Buk, but pro-Russian rebels have now denied they have it.

well if these rebels did steal a BUK system it is not likely they were highly trained in its use, so they could well have launched it without correctly identifying the target.
Original post by the bear
well if these rebels did steal a BUK system it is not likely they were highly trained in its use, so they could well have launched it without correctly identifying the target.

Not like russian special forces are in the area or anything :P

This on the BBC:

The bbc is just as biased as itar in this conflict just in the other direction. There are some Cyrillic sources but it doesn't appear any other English news outlets reported on it (no surprises there)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh ****, it had to happen to Malaysia of all national airlines. I'm currently at the country directly to the south of it, and I can see the incident being covered there massively already

...and I'll be flying back to the UK in September. I seriously hope I do not fly over Ukraine because I am already afraid of that prospect...
(edited 9 years ago)

Supposedly taken at about 1.30 Kiev time in Snizhne today.
I am very knowledgeable when it comes to aerospace technology, aviation infrastructure and aircraft design.

Ask me anything and I will dispel/clarify opinions.
Original post by DaveSmith99

Supposedly taken at about 1.30 Kiev time in Snizhne today.

The time of day seems reasonable by the shadows, somebody who lives there could probably verify if it is there or not, what day, that's another matter.

Original post by shawn_o1
Oh ****, it had to happen to Malaysia of all national airlines. I'm currently at the country directly to the south of it, and I can see the incident being covered there massively already

...and I'll be flying back to the UK in September. I seriously hope I do not fly over Ukraine because I am already afraid of that prospect...

Yes, they have had a bad year, but I doubt this is likely to happen again (not in Ukraine at least). I expect after this incident ANYBODY firing missiles will be a lot more careful before firing to make sure it is their target and not something else. It's also worth that hundreds, if not thousands, of planes fly over Ukraine every day, just accidents happen sometimes.
Original post by ✈ ✈
I am very knowledgeable when it comes to aerospace technology, aviation infrastructure and aircraft design.

Ask me anything and I will dispel/clarify opinions.

Why? The only long term questions over this incident are political ones, the aviation side of it is pretty cut and dry.

And presenting yourself as some sort of omniscient guru who's opinion we have to have just makes you seem a massively arrogant twonk.
Original post by Drewski
Why? The only long term questions over this incident are political ones, the aviation side of it is pretty cut and dry.

And presenting yourself as some sort of omniscient guru who's opinion we have to have just makes you seem a massively arrogant twonk.

Not really. I am not forcing my opinion on anyone. Am I not allowed to have a talent and offer to use it to inform others?

And politically speaking, making assumptions is not the right thing to do at the moment, the less tension the better.
Original post by ✈ ✈
Not really. I am not forcing my opinion on anyone. Am I not allowed to have a talent and offer to use it to inform others?

And politically speaking, making assumptions is not the right thing to do at the moment, the less tension the better.

You present yourself as very knowledgeable without anything backing that up and assume that other people here aren't knowledgeable. Smacks of arrogance to me - and no doubt most others.

So, making political assumptions is not the right thing to do, yet you're perfectly happy to make assumptions about the aircraft side of things? Why?
Reply 99
Original post by Drewski

You tell him! You're the only guru we need here.

Quick Reply

Latest