The Student Room Group

Why do straight guys treat gay guys mean?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AdamCee
As I said earlier. From my experience. How gay people are treated will vary from town to town by for the boys that came out in my year very few thought any less of them.

There are many that definitely think less of them but may not necessarily act on that. They just won't associate with them but then I guess this thread is about bullying so being vocal.

Fine :smile:!
My friend came out a few months ago and I was cool with it and all. But after a while he started to milk it so much, it made so unbelievable which is annoying. But I have a few gay friends who aren't like that.

Also about the straight female thing. It's probably because they aren't nervous or anything because they aren't attracted but I don't really know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JayJay-C19
I think that most straight boys, during the time they're at school, are too concerned by what everyone else would think of them associating with someone who's gay. So, because of that, they feel the need to make it v.e.r.y clear they don't like gays/aren't gay themselves. So, I think that most people don't themselves have an issue with homosexuals, just purely the attitudes of others if they were to be friends with them people.

However, there are many guys who are completely obsessed by girls and sex that they appear to believe that if they associate with a gay person, that gay person is going to want to have sex with them and it's not true at all.

There are also some heterosexuals who struggle with their own sexuality and vent their frustration by being homophobic and hoping that it will make them change for whatever reason. I have met people like this who turned out gay.

I do, however, completely disagree that loads of gays are feminine and have female attitudes and such - I think they just have been rejected by so many of their own gender that they feel it's necessary to do whatever they can to fit in with those that accept them which, 9 times out of 10, is a girl or group of girls. I know this from personal experience. I had a best friend who was straight and after I came out he rejected me and didn't want to be friends with me anymore and we were so close. So, due to that rejection I hung around with a big group of girls and started to pick up traits like bitchiness, speaking fast, higher pitched voice, being too forward, etc.etc.

After I realised that was just fake and pushing people away, I just stopped. I then had a few male friends. A lot of them stopped associating with me after their friends accused them of being gay because of me.

Quite funny actually, one boy in my year kissed me at my pals party and then returned to school and persecuted the life out of me for being gay - t'was amusing.

I agree with most apart from the feminine bit; tbh I find that a lot of gays I know are quite feminine and seem to gravitate naturally towards women as friends. In my opinion, I feel that gay couples (men or women) often take natural masc and fem roles which would be found in a hetero relationship. But of course there are many that aren't like that, but that's just how I feel. The more masc. gays can fit in with guys whereas the more fem. gays tend to gravitate towards women... idk just my opinion?
There are many that definitely think less of them but may not necessarily act on that. They just won't associate with them but then I guess this thread is about bullying so being vocal.

Fine :smile:!

Yeah sorry maybe I wasn't that clear. When I said 99% I meant people that would physically and verbally act on these feelings - unfortunately quite a lot do think less but are polite enough to not show this
Original post by Anonymous
Aww </3

Some gays are blessed with the ability to befriend straight boys :/

All gay guys are blessed with the ability to befriend straight boys. They just need to find a straight boy that's not a narrow-minded b*****d.
it is really true, i observed the way gay men talked during the Pride festival, it was like grown man trying to talk like hannah montanna. and then there was a man who was trying to dress like her to i think.
often straight men cannot relate to this culture.

Okay troll, okay.
it is really true, i observed the way gay men talked during the Pride festival, it was like grown man trying to talk like hannah montanna. and then there was a man who was trying to dress like her to i think.
often straight men cannot relate to this culture.

Okay troll, okay <3
I agree with most apart from the feminine bit; tbh I find that a lot of gays I know are quite feminine and seem to gravitate naturally towards women as friends. In my opinion, I feel that gay couples (men or women) often take natural masc and fem roles which would be found in a hetero relationship. But of course there are many that aren't like that, but that's just how I feel. The more masc. gays can fit in with guys whereas the more fem. gays tend to gravitate towards women... idk just my opinion?

Oh no, I agree - I just feel that there is also another reason for why some are more feminine than others. However, like most things - this doesn't go for all of them.
Original post by simpletech668
My friend came out a few months ago and I was cool with it and all. But after a while he started to milk it so much, it made so unbelievable which is annoying. But I have a few gay friends who aren't like that.

Also about the straight female thing. It's probably because they aren't nervous or anything because they aren't attracted but I don't really know

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with the second part.

Original post by Keyser-Soze
All gay guys are blessed with the ability to befriend straight boys. They just need to find a straight boy that's not a narrow-minded b*****d.

I'll keep telling myself that -_______________________________________-
I think that most straight boys, during the time they're at school, are too concerned by what everyone else would think of them associating with someone who's gay. So, because of that, they feel the need to make it v.e.r.y clear they don't like gays/aren't gay themselves. So, I think that most people don't themselves have an issue with homosexuals, just purely the attitudes of others if they were to be friends with them people. .
or it could be that they dont see any familiarity with gay culture . so it depends how outwardly 'gay' you act. if tis not so much you probably would have more in common wit someone. but was with anything, if say someone was a EDL supporter and acted very right wing all the time, then most ppl would avoid him, prob he would only attract people with a likeminded attitude. if you knew someone that was very extreme evangenlical, or islamic, same- most poeple would stay away. people tend to congregate round others that have similar outlook or culture.

However, there are many guys who are completely obsessed by girls and sex that they appear to believe that if they associate with a gay person, that gay person is going to want to have sex with them and it's not true at all. .
the lure of sex is powerful motive

There are also some heterosexuals who struggle with their own sexuality and vent their frustration by being homophobic and hoping that it will make them change for whatever reason. I have met people like this who turned out gay. .
i doubt they were hetrosexual, probably gay all along.

I do, however, completely disagree that loads of gays are feminine and have female attitudes and such - I think they just have been rejected by so many of their own gender that they feel it's necessary to do whatever they can to fit in with those that accept them which, 9 times out of 10, is a girl or group of girls. I know this from personal experience. I had a best friend who was straight and after I came out he rejected me and didn't want to be friends with me anymore and we were so close. So, due to that rejection I hung around with a big group of girls and started to pick up traits like bitchiness, speaking fast, higher pitched voice, being too forward, etc.etc.

or its simply the fact that you may share more interests with women than you do with most hetrosexual men. i dont know why this is such a big issue, if a straight guy has little in common with a girls interests and doesnt mix with them, he does complain does he?
Yeah true. Tbh white heterosexual males are pretty much the top of the social hierarchy and always have been (and probably always will be), and they, and everyone else, knows it.

Where does race or sex come into it, I don't think there is an endemic racist or sexist bullying problem in British schools, though there is with gays. Let's not decontextualise for the sake of it, not only is it unwarranted, it's also wrong: clearly the social hierarchy at school is not generalisable to the outside world, otherwise your boss would be giving you swirlies every day in the company toilets.
I do treat them a little mean just to make sure there not trying to bang my backdoors in like 10 mins later.
And yeah you don't have to tell people true, but for some people it's impossible to hide their gayness, as I'm sure you're aware xD

This is why some get treated differently I think. People confuse being gay & being camp even though being gay & being camp are not the same thing. Once people leave secondary school & are away from all that peer pressure, most people are fine with people being gay. Some people just don't get on with camp people, whether they're gay or not. Not getting on with camp people doesn't make someone homophobic.
Original post by shahbaz
I do treat them a little mean just to make sure there not trying to bang my backdoors in like 10 mins later.

little do you realise by treating them mean you are keeping them keen (on your backdoors)
or it could be that they dont see any familiarity with gay culture . so it depends how outwardly 'gay' you act. if tis not so much you probably would have more in common wit someone. but was with anything, if say someone was a EDL supporter and acted very right wing all the time, then most ppl would avoid him, prob he would only attract people with a likeminded attitude. if you knew someone that was very extreme evangenlical, or islamic, same- most poeple would stay away. people tend to congregate round others that have similar outlook or culture.
the lure of sex is powerful motive

i doubt they were hetrosexual, probably gay all along.

or its simply the fact that you may share more interests with women than you do with most hetrosexual men. i dont know why this is such a big issue, if a straight guy has little in common with a girls interests and doesnt mix with them, he does complain does he?

To be honest. I know the people I have grown up with and this is based on them so I disagree with basically everything you've said. My analysis of events and attributes are correct to these people and to be fair, it was too many from too many different places to make me think it was area specific and it's different elsewhere.

But, of course, you may have your opinion.
Original post by scrotgrot
Where does race or sex come into it, I don't think there is an endemic racist or sexist bullying problem in British schools, though there is with gays. Let's not decontextualise for the sake of it, not only is it unwarranted, it's also wrong: clearly the social hierarchy at school is not generalisable to the outside world, otherwise your boss would be giving you swirlies every day in the company toilets.

I'm talking about society in general. That statement is 100% true.

Original post by shahbaz

-_-
Original post by shahbaz

You talk about homosexuals as if they're untamed animals :s-smilie:

Yet I bet you don't think it wrong of men to constantly seek sex from women, like practically everyone they speak to but its so wrong for gays to do the same with men... General statement.
Okay troll, okay.

Troll for having an opinion? that is very much the response of a tantrum-ing schoolgirl
I'm talking about society in general. That statement is 100% true.

-_-

No, it's definitely not 100% true, as that would imply all non-whites, females and gays are treated poorer than all white male heterosexuals in every single aspect of their lives.

It may be true on balance and we could show this if we could somehow enumerate every individual interaction in terms of power differentials.

Nevertheless, we are not talking about "society in general" on this thread - and I would put to you that it's impossible to ever draw any empirically unassailable conclusions about "society in general" anyway. Even if we could do this, it would hardly be generalisable to individuals or any given interaction.
You talk about homosexuals as if they're untamed animals :s-smilie:

Yet I bet you don't think it wrong of men to constantly seek sex from women, like practically everyone they speak to but its so wrong for gays to do the same with men... General statement.

i think young men of all persuations are sex-mad a large part of, their lif but straight men generally get to a point of settling down and having a family, and this matures them. gay men also nowadays can have a family, but you still get the impression they havent matured, even 50 year old gay men go to night clubs to pickup gay one night stands.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending