The Student Room Group

Do schools REALLY do anything about bullying?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Secretnerd123
I was bullied for a few years and they did nothing. Useless idiots who can't do their jobs >.<

It's not that they can't do their jobs. It's just that they choose not to. They choose to overlook this and pretend like it isn't happening.

I was in the same position as you. I hope you're okay now.
Original post by simplylldxo
Well my school thrived on their anti-bullying policies and Blue Fridays (you buy a wristband and get a non-uniform day in return) but did they actually stick to it? No, I failed my GCSE's because of their lack of support when it came to bullying.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I completely empathize with you. Are you doing any better now?

Original post by fabstrawberry
That's so horrible! I'm glad you're doing much better now, you didn't deserve any of that
And no, my school is crap dealing with bullying. Thankfully I've not really been bullied but I know a few people that have badly been, and my school just makes false promises but they never actually do anything.

Thanks a lot! :smile:

Same with my school. They say they didn't tolerate it, yet they clearly did. I was actually bullied in the anti-bullying assembly they had. How ironic.

Original post by universal_set

That's heartbreaking. Bullies definitely need to see it from the victims' perspective, and not just as "a laugh."
Original post by Keyser-Soze
It's not that they can't do their jobs. It's just that they choose not to. They choose to overlook this and pretend like it isn't happening.

I was in the same position as you. I hope you're okay now.

Yep. I want to become a teacher and when I do, I will try to do everything in my power to make sure bullies get away so easily. I went to a teacher crying my eyes out one time when one of the bullies made a remark about my father who passed away and she told me she'd do something but did NOTHING! I'm surprised my school experience hasn't put me off becoming a teacher :/

This was in year 8-10 and a little of yr11 but i'm 19 now and a much stronger person. I actually stand up for myself alot more now and stand up for the vulnerable too. I'm glad all is well with you now :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by limetang
Generally no, they do terrible jobs, and much of the time they do actually let bullies get away with what is criminal behaviour. Schools should actually have some REAL policies for dealing with bullying, and should be much more willing to use criminal prosecution for behaviour that warrants it.

From what I find schools refuse to attend to bullying in their school because they don't want to admit that it happens at their school because that ruins their reputation.At my school you had bullying literally occur in front of the teachers the teachers said things like stop it but it happened a lot of lessons and noone reported the bullying.I think the key to stopping this to have secret Ofsted Inspections and if a school was found to have bullying taking place there they would face massive fines/closure and the schools wouldn't be able to keep them under control and cheat as they do with the current system by being informed when Ofsted will appear.
In my experience no my school did jack **** about bullying, for me it got so bad that for a while I would often stay off school "sick" because I just didn't know how to deal with it any more. Lucky for me the main aggressors who bullied me moved school after a couple of years and while the bullying remained it died down a lot with them gone.
I have experienced something similar, to the point that I feel my exams, which I sat this year, were not performed to my highest ability due to paranoia and other factors. Which sucks, I cannot do anything about it though and I will probably not be attending the universities which I planned on going to.l I have even stayed off school for a few days over the past years because I could not face going into school.

Teaches are either completely oblivious to it, or they just do not care. One of their aspects of the job is to take care of the children, I do not see any teachers at my school 'taking care' of any of the pupils unless they have some sort of learning-difficulty.
(edited 9 years ago)

xxx

that was a really interesting read thank you. could you by any chance pm me a picture of you because it doesn't really add up that you think you aren't attractive and yet people at school say you are... i know you said you conceal yourself with 3 hours to get ready (is that an exaggeration btw) but i don't think doing that would really change someone as ugly as you seem to suggest you are. thanks :smile:
Tbh theres nothing they can do to end the bullying. I was bullied for 3 years full on, i asked for help, school gave it to me but its the bullies who dont listen.
Teachers can call their parents in, but at the end of the day the bullies will bully you more because you grassed them up, or equally they will stop. If not directly bullying you then there will always be a group of girls (well for me anyway) who do nothing but stare and snigger every time you walk past. Theres just nothing to be done.
I said to school 'im asking for your help, if you cant sort it out, i'll have to sort it out myself'. And i did, i stopped talking to all the fake b*tches and kept away from everyone to the point where they couldnt even attempt to bully me.
No. If you want the bullying to stop you have to take care of it yourself.
I'm so sorry to hear that. I completely empathize with you. Are you doing any better now?

I am thank you :smile: I've just finished my foundation year and I'm off to university in September :3
Original post by Mr Smurf

Well no, taking the bullying into your own hands isn't the way to solve it. It'll make things 100x worse!
I was bullied for a few years and they did nothing. Useless idiots who can't do their jobs >.<

Teachers are there to teach, not childmind. Maybe if societal values didn't go to **** and people brought up their children with respect and morals then such behaviour would be less common.

This whole notion that teachers are there to stop bullying and be child minders and social workers is ridiculous. Teachers are there to educate. Maybe if politicians invested in education more and had the right people in place to deal with such there would be a better system overall but please do not blame teachers for the failings of governance.
Im sorry you had such a horrible experience OP. I was bullied from year 4 to year 11, year 8-10 were the most severe, and on some days I just didn't want to even get out the car and go in. The school did basically nothing, if I reported it, which I only did once because afterwards I realised it did nothing, all that happened was I had to write out what happened and who did it, they were brought in and made to say sorry, but afterwards things went straight back to how they were before.
Eventually I just stopped caring, the whole experience made me kind of cold I guess, in some ways I became even meaner than the people that used to bully me. Either way, I don't take crap from anyone anymore, so I did come out stronger. But that was just me refusing to be hurt anymore, the actual school did nothing useful. The issue is there isn't much they can do short of expelling students, and the system meant it was difficult for my school to expel someone, they get basically a million chances, unfortunately a school can't stop a horrible person from being horrid. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sanctimonious

This whole notion that teachers are there to stop bullying and be child minders and social workers is ridiculous.

It isn't ridiculous though. Schools have a duty of care towards pupils and that includes bullying. If bullying happens in school they are supposed to do something about it.
My school works well to make the victims feel better but when it comes to dealing with the bully nothing is done, what is done comes across as being a joke and so it will continue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My school didn't really have a bullying problem. If there was a clear cut case of bullying against someone it was dealt with by the pupils themselves before it even got to the teachers. It was a good system, better than any punishment the teachers could have given out. Also it wasn't a very big school. About 200 pupils at the time.

Although in my school years (not so long ago), my teachers were the sort of people who would not hesitate to throw a book at you (literally) for talking in class. We were taught to respect each other and our teachers.
Yep. I want to become a teacher and when I do, I will try to do everything in my power to make sure bullies get away so easily. I went to a teacher crying my eyes out one time when one of the bullies made a remark about my father who passed away and she told me she'd do something but did NOTHING! I'm surprised my school experience hasn't put me off becoming a teacher :/

This was in year 8-10 and a little of yr11 but i'm 19 now and a much stronger person. I actually stand up for myself alot more now and stand up for the vulnerable too. I'm glad all is well with you now :smile:

That's a really good goal. I hope you succeed. Schools need good teachers like you. You should go to my old school, or any private school. I found that they're too lax there, compared to state schools. They're so highly paid that they just don't seem to care as much, which is probably why I had such a bad experience.

I'm so glad that you've persevered after that experience. It should make you more determined :smile: Thanks a lot. I'm the same. Only 17 now, but stand up for myself more and don't care for people's opinions as much as I used to.

Original post by Dalek1099
From what I find schools refuse to attend to bullying in their school because they don't want to admit that it happens at their school because that ruins their reputation.At my school you had bullying literally occur in front of the teachers the teachers said things like stop it but it happened a lot of lessons and noone reported the bullying.I think the key to stopping this to have secret Ofsted Inspections and if a school was found to have bullying taking place there they would face massive fines/closure and the schools wouldn't be able to keep them under control and cheat as they do with the current system by being informed when Ofsted will appear.

Agree with this so much! This is literally my old school in a nutshell.

Original post by SophieSmall
In my experience no my school did jack **** about bullying, for me it got so bad that for a while I would often stay off school "sick" because I just didn't know how to deal with it any more. Lucky for me the main aggressors who bullied me moved school after a couple of years and while the bullying remained it died down a lot with them gone.

I empathise completely, only I couldn't stay home ill because my dad was a surgeon, and when I did stay home I just had to look at my phone or computer to get the full school experience.

I'm glad for you, though! Hope you're doing okay now :smile:

Original post by EatAndRevise
I have experienced something similar, to the point that I feel my exams, which I sat this year, were not performed to my highest ability due to paranoia and other factors. Which sucks, I cannot do anything about it though and I will probably not be attending the universities which I planned on going to.l I have even stayed off school for a few days over the past years because I could not face going into school.

Teaches are either completely oblivious to it, or they just do not care. One of their aspects of the job is to take care of the children, I do not see any teachers at my school 'taking care' of any of the pupils unless they have some sort of learning-difficulty.

Ah, I feel for you. Have faith, though. You don't know your grades yet. You might have done better than you think.

I missed a whole year and a bit of school, which was horrible.

I find teachers just turn a blind-eye. I mean, they'd be stupid to not see the bullying. In my case, people were literally screaming something everytime my name was read on a register or I was called to answer a question. At first, the teachers called them out, then they just accepted that it was a natural part of the lesson, like I did. I guess they just think that someone else will take care of it, that it isn't there job, but it is really when the bullying affects their students' education.

Original post by signyourname
that was a really interesting read thank you. could you by any chance pm me a picture of you because it doesn't really add up that you think you aren't attractive and yet people at school say you are... i know you said you conceal yourself with 3 hours to get ready (is that an exaggeration btw) but i don't think doing that would really change someone as ugly as you seem to suggest you are. thanks :smile:

Thanks a lot, but I wouldn't feel comfortable sending a picture of myself to someone I don't know. I have bad paranoia. I hope you understand! :smile:

No, it isn't an exaggeration. It takes a few hours for me to get ready. I put LOADS of cover-up on, then I have to make it look like I don't have it on, then I have to straighten my hair, then I have to backcomb it for volume, then I have to sort my fringe out. It doesn't sound like a lot, but it takes ages.

Original post by Afghan Warrior
Tbh theres nothing they can do to end the bullying. I was bullied for 3 years full on, i asked for help, school gave it to me but its the bullies who dont listen.
Teachers can call their parents in, but at the end of the day the bullies will bully you more because you grassed them up, or equally they will stop. If not directly bullying you then there will always be a group of girls (well for me anyway) who do nothing but stare and snigger every time you walk past. Theres just nothing to be done.
I said to school 'im asking for your help, if you cant sort it out, i'll have to sort it out myself'. And i did, i stopped talking to all the fake b*tches and kept away from everyone to the point where they couldnt even attempt to bully me.

Wow. I admire you for taking on the situation yourself, and I'm glad you've made it out the other side well :smile:

I disagree with you, though. To some extent I think it's the bullies that don't listen, but that's because the teachers/staff don't MAKE them listen. They're the ones that don't listen. You put your trust in them when you start school because they're the ones that are supposed to be in power, yet they don't use it when it comes to this. They're far too lax with bullies, and if they're hardly given a punishment, then what's to stop them from doing it again? How can they learn?

Original post by Mr Smurf

This is horrible advice. You shouldn't have to take care of it yourself. That's why you have teachers, people that are supposed to look out for your well-being and education. They're adults. You're not. Bullies, children, need discipline from authority figures.

And what could you possibly do? Stand up to them? I know that's the lesson that everyone teaches, but in the real-world it doesn't work. If I'd stood up to my bullies, the entire school, then I'd have been jumped sooner and by more people.

There's a reason bullies pick on weak people - because they know they'll be capable of beating them.

Original post by simplylldxo
I am thank you :smile: I've just finished my foundation year and I'm off to university in September :3

I'm happy to hear that. Good luck with uni! :smile:

Original post by Sanctimonious
Teachers are there to teach, not childmind. Maybe if societal values didn't go to **** and people brought up their children with respect and morals then such behaviour would be less common.

This whole notion that teachers are there to stop bullying and be child minders and social workers is ridiculous. Teachers are there to educate. Maybe if politicians invested in education more and had the right people in place to deal with such there would be a better system overall but please do not blame teachers for the failings of governance.

You're right, teachers are there to educate! So if bullying gets in the way of a student's education, then they should do something. They're job is to ensure that every child learns and achieves, and how can a child do that if they're being tormented?

Schools have stupid rules that they enforce like - no piercings, uniforms, etc. Stupid things that don't even affect eduction, yet they can't even seem to tackle this serious issue.

Sorry for the long post. Everyone brought up good points, and I wanted to address them all :smile:

I empathise completely, only I couldn't stay home ill because my dad was a surgeon, and when I did stay home I just had to look at my phone or computer to get the full school experience.

I'm glad for you, though! Hope you're doing okay now :smile:

Yeah it was rare being able to stay off, I ever went to the extremes of forcing myself to vomit sometimes on the particularly bad days just so i could stay off, I'd always also make sure I was late for school so I didn't have to go to form registration as I had no friends only bullies in that class.

I think it made me a stronger and more empathetic person, I won't tolerate anyone bullying people any more.

And thank you, I'm long past those days now I'm in university :smile: much better now.
honestly no, i've been to three schools now (moved due to bullying) and not one school can handle bullying in the slightest, all that happens is they tell them off and maybe give them a 15 minute detention thats about it, its not a deterrent so the bullies just do it again, my confidence was pretty much destroyed and i still struggle with dealing with people.and the teachers start treating you like a burden asking them to do more work. i think the best option would be learning how to defend yourself, if threatened physically, and make it clear you won't take crap from these people and just try to make friends, theres always some nice people. kinda sucks but with how inept schools are at handling this stuff i don't see much other choice. i hate the feeling like the bullies got away with it all, i seriously think harsher punishments are needed for bullies or fine the parents each time they cause trouble then their parents will make them stop it as opposed to some teacher the bullies don't give a crap about.

but anyway I'm glad to hear your lifes going well now :smile: , i don't think you ever forget about it all but it does sort of fade out a little so its less on your mind, the pasts the past i guess.

Quick Reply

Latest