The Student Room Group

Is a2 maths a lot harder than as maths?

how much harder is a2 maths than as maths?

Scroll to see replies

I've started A2 maths recently. It's a lot harder but not impossible or anything. If you were good at core 2 then you won't have much trouble being good at core 3 with some extra work, I personally don't think it's going to be as hard as everyone says it is. Just don't let it defeat you before you've even started which I think is what a lot of people do. Just think it won't be that hard, then it probably won't be.
Having just finished A2 maths and Further Maths, I found there to be a considerable jump from AS Maths to A2 Maths, but the jump from AS Further Maths to A2 wasn't all that noticeable really.
Original post by crayolaguy
I've started A2 maths recently. It's a lot harder but not impossible or anything. If you were good at core 2 then you won't have much trouble being good at core 3 with some extra work, I personally don't think it's going to be as hard as everyone says it is. Just don't let it defeat you before you've even started which I think is what a lot of people do. Just think it won't be that hard, then it probably won't be.

lol have you even started C4? C3 was nothing compared to C4
Reply 4
Personally found C1 harder than C2, C3 and C4. Once you understand the rules and concepts in C3 and C4, it's not that difficult. C1 was the easiest content wise, but they sprang out some **** questions in the exams. IMO of course.
Yeah actually i do see your point

I do further as well as normal btw

Having sprinted through C3 edexcel in 2 weeks; i can say it is kinda weird, ch 1,2,3,4,5 are easy. The last 6 and 7 are a little strange and 8 is easy (once you understand it)

Be warned... there is a butt tonne of stuff you have to learn ( i mean actually have to remember eg identities and formulae. If you don't you will fail)

surprise surprise, 6 and 7 form a major importance of the module.

About to start C4 and finish it by mid august i think; so i can't comment on it. Apparently the vectors is really stupid; don't quote me though :smile:
No, if you are doing FM the jump is higher from AS to A2, generally if you are doing both subjects side my side and not the way of maths in ur AS year and F maths in ur A2 year. Also depends alot on what non core modules you take such as S,D,M. But with regards from C1,C2 to C3,C4 its not that hard at all.
A2 is quite a bit more difficult than AS but as with the jump from GCSE to AS, whilst it's a bit of a shock initially, you get used to it very quickly. A2 is a lot more fun!
In all honesty I think the content for a2 maths is simple, but sometimes the exams can mess you up! Edexcel maths tend to do this a lot especially this year so its not especially hard the topics but sometimes they can throw u with a random question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by tazza ma razza
Yeah actually i do see your point

I do further as well as normal btw

Having sprinted through C3 edexcel in 2 weeks; i can say it is kinda weird, ch 1,2,3,4,5 are easy. The last 6 and 7 are a little strange and 8 is easy (once you understand it)

Be warned... there is a butt tonne of stuff you have to learn ( i mean actually have to remember eg identities and formulae. If you don't you will fail)

surprise surprise, 6 and 7 form a major importance of the module.

About to start C4 and finish it by mid august i think; so i can't comment on it. Apparently the vectors is really stupid; don't quote me though :smile:

oh ok r u not doing it at school then?
Reply 10

how come u only started it recently are u doing it outside of school wow that must be hard
Original post by cchocolate
how come u only started it recently are u doing it outside of school wow that must be hard

No, I've just done my AS exams but my 6th form makes me start A2 in my subjects for the rest of the weeks after the exams before we break up for the holiday. So I've had about 5 weeks of core 3.
oh ok r u not doing it at school then?

No no, i am in year 12! I finished C3 1.5 weeks ago by just doing maths in my free periods and from doing Maths every evening.

Means less work over the summer and makes it easier in the spring next year :smile:
Reply 13
No, I've just done my AS exams but my 6th form makes me start A2 in my subjects for the rest of the weeks after the exams before we break up for the holiday. So I've had about 5 weeks of core 3.

oh yeah, we did that too i guess i was half asleep after the exams though:eek:
Reply 14
No no, i am in year 12! I finished C3 1.5 weeks ago by just doing maths in my free periods and from doing Maths every evening.

Means less work over the summer and makes it easier in the spring next year :smile:

wow dedication you taught it to yourself?
wow dedication you taught it to yourself?

Yup. To be honest, first 5 chapters are fine - chapter 7 took me a whole pukka pad (200 pages) chapter 6 is just long as well.In school this will take too long to finish so i recommend finishing it off asap before summer - meaning you only have to revise it at the end of summer and use the lessons as revision
Reply 16
Yup. To be honest, first 5 chapters are fine - chapter 7 took me a whole pukka pad (200 pages) chapter 6 is just long as well.In school this will take too long to finish so i recommend finishing it off asap before summer - meaning you only have to revise it at the end of summer and use the lessons as revision

cool good idea ps do u do edexcel if so howd u find the as exams this year
did u just use a texbook/youtube clips to teach urself?
Reply 17
Original post by Xotol
Personally found C1 harder than C2, C3 and C4. Once you understand the rules and concepts in C3 and C4, it's not that difficult. C1 was the easiest content wise, but they sprang out some **** questions in the exams. IMO of course.

Did you do C1 AQA or Edexcel? If it was AQA which year? (Just interested :tongue:)
ez pz
I found the jump from AS to A2 maths wayyy harder than the jump from GCSE to AS. C4 was just *\®=£*$-#-%&;^¢

Quick Reply

Latest