The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Original post by C.Almasy
Would break the bank for Vidal, just splash £40m on their table. £150k pw for him. Do it Wenger.

lol with Vidal I think we'd be favourites to win the title. Not going to happen though
Also, does anyone else here see Ozil doing very well in a false 9 role? With two WF's (Walcott, Sanchez). I see that as a great position for him, finding the space like a Muller (except without the finishing), drawing defenders out of position, and delivering the killer assists. Playing him further up the field imo will mean that losing the ball is not as dangerous and also gives him more freedom to move around as he sees fit.

I don't think 4-2-3-1 is necessary for us if we get a new CM with a good engine and technique. Could play 4-3-3 with Flamini and the new central midfielder (their ability to cover ground quickly will be enough imo) sitting, and then Ramsey slightly ahead of them but also able to track back and cover. This is why, tactically, a new CM is vital. It would gives us a lot more flexibility on how we play in midfield.
(edited 9 years ago)
Kieran Gibbs' agent on twitter saying we're going to be in for another huge signing.
Original post by AR_95
lol with Vidal I think we'd be favourites to win the title. Not going to happen though

If you sign Vidal and don't win the title it would be a big disappointment personally.
Reply 1064
Original post by jam278
If you sign Vidal and don't win the title it would be a big disappointment personally.

lol i'd be WOB if we even came second
Original post by C.Almasy
Also, does anyone else here see Ozil doing very well in a false 9 role? With two WF's (Walcott, Sanchez). I see that as a great position for him, finding the space like a Muller (except without the finishing), drawing defenders out of position, and delivering the killer assists. Playing him further up the field imo will mean that losing the ball is not as dangerous and also gives him more freedom to move around as he sees fit.

I don't think 4-2-3-1 is necessary for us if we get a new CM with a good engine and technique. Could play 4-3-3 with Flamini and the new central midfielder (their ability to cover ground quickly will be enough imo) sitting, and then Ramsey slightly ahead of them but also able to track back and cover.

If you used 4-3-3 yes. 4-2-3-1 with Ozil false 9 won't work. You need a top quality DM though. Wilshere/AOC, Ramsey and DM should do well enough with a false 9.

Flamini is a player who works hard but I don't think he's that good. Filled in a gap the previous season and that's it. Wilshere would probably appreciate the extra space to dribble into in the 4-3-3 as well.
Original post by little_tom
Kieran Gibbs' agent on twitter saying we're going to be in for another huge signing.

cavani maybe :holmes:
Original post by The Assassin

Cavani is certainly not worth 54M or whatever PSG want for him. Although interestingly enough, it does seem that he is on his way out. I cannot see him at Arsenal though.
Original post by The Assassin

I hope not.
Reply 1069
Original post by jam278
HIghly, highly disagree that Vidal has outgrown Juve.

Their midfield contains Pirlo and Pogba, as well as Marchisio. He's the second best player in their midfield and is replaceable, their CB's are as good as anybody's. They've got two high quality strikers in Tevez and Llorente. Asamoah is a good player, nothing spectacular but he's got energy in abundance and can whip in a decent ball, Lichsteiner the same.

It's a pretty good team, albeit slightly unspectacular and lacking in depth outside the first 11 in midfield. Probably in the top 8 of europe currently. Going to Arsenal or United would be a downgrade for a player of his ability. Although you could say he improves the team to an extent that it won't be(Arsenal in particular). I'd go as far to say that Vidal is the third most important player in the team, behind Pirlo and Tevez.

Only reason that he's potentially leaving is because Juve want to balance the books. Also is he actually leaving or is this just the general nonsense that people put on to sell papers(as Conte left Juve)

I don't even watch Juve so I can't go off how he plays to say he's outgrown the club, but the attitude of Vidal and the way it's being treated as if he's outgrown the club. All the way through the wc and summer Vidal has been surrounded by rumours of leaving. Unless he said something explicitly to encourage this, I think it's how it's seen. Based on playing wise you are right, he hasn't outgrown them. Juventus are a top club after all.

A player like Pirlo is too old to outgrow juve, Pogba has settled and can't yet outgrow the club, Marchisio wouldn't ever leave the club, Llorente and Tevez are probably playing for their last major teams.

I've never really understood how Juve have kept a hold of quality players. How old is Chiellini now?

Really no idea. I had the thought we may have agreed teems with Vidal but were still negotiating a fee, but that's probably *******s. Sadly :frown:

Would you say Vidal is definitely going to leave this season?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1070
Cavani is one of the most overrated players out there right now.
Allow Cavani. We ain't got time for him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278

How? Real Madrid came 3rd with a team of Bale, Ronaldo, Benzema, Alonso, Di Maria, Ramos et al...
Original post by mrdoovde1
How? Real Madrid came 3rd with a team of Bale, Ronaldo, Benzema, Alonso, Di Maria, Ramos et al...

They won the CL so mitigating circumstances, had the CL finalists come first in the league and only missed second place on head to head.

No comparison to the situation at Arsenal. If you sign Vidal you should be looking to win the league next season no excuses.
Original post by jam278
They won the CL so mitigating circumstances, had the CL finalists come first in the league and only missed second place on head to head.

No comparison to the situation at Arsenal. If you sign Vidal you should be looking to win the league next season no excuses.

Well when you remember that Chelsea have won 1 title in the last 9 years, it's not as simple as spending big money on players is it?

Even if we had Vidal, City would have the stronger squad overall, their firepower put's ours to shame.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1075
Original post by mrdoovde1

Yet they won the Cl instead.
Guaranteed people not rating Cavani have only ever watched him in a few international games and those CL matches against Chelsea. People ain't got a clue about him really
I think we've surprised a lot of people with our dealings this summer. It's only been two buys but we've been efficient.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sevchenko
Guaranteed people not rating Cavani have only ever watched him in a few international games and those CL matches against Chelsea. People ain't got a clue about him really

What as opposed to him against Torino and Lazio? Obviously he ripped up Serie A but you cant blame people for not being impressed in the handful of big CL/Uruguay matches they've seen him in.

Saying that, I would take Cavani if he were available , worth taking the risk given the potential upside if he took off.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Well when you remember that Chelsea have won 1 title in the last 9 years, it's not as simple as spending big money on players is it?

Even if we had Vidal, City would have the stronger squad.

Firstly wasn't including Chelsea here and I don't believe our squad is strong enough for the title. Yours(with Vidal) is.

Chelsea have also won a CL and numerous other cup trophies while maintaining good standing in europe so it's not comparable. Since the last title we've had to compete with Ronaldo for 3 years. In 2010 we sold our key players so were in rebuilding phase(which we are still in).

It would be very close between you and City, but City should be blitzing this league, if they haven't now, will they ever, the likes of Toure, Kompany, Fernandinho are getting on and with Aguero's injury list you might not see the best of them. Also depends on how Liverpool bed their signings in, their setup is the best in challenging for a league title which could make up for their lack of quality.

Latest