The Student Room Group

Ask an A level student.

Scroll to see replies

What's A Level German like? I really want to take it, but I'm wondering how much of a step up it is from GCSE??
question:can you give me an example of a question in economics? and how would you answer it?
For english literature how much shakespeare do you have to read? and do you have to read contemporary poetry or is it mostly olden text?
Reply 42
Original post by princesssarah
I am about to go into sixth form college and out of the 4 AS cources i have chosen for the first year the only one im worried about is maths. Is it hard? What would you suggest so i can get the best out of the course? Im really nervous about it :frown:

Its not hard. Practice is the key! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is German alevel a big jump from GCSE? Also, how many speaking exams do you take for it for AS level?
Is Sixth Form more relaxed? Considerably? Or does the stress of work cancel this out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Acidy
I've just recently finished my A levels as of July. Looking back at my own post-GCSE applications to Sixth Form experience and starting my A levels, it seemed quite a nerve-racking experience, especially as back in the day I never had TSR (2 years ago) :colondollar:

Pose a question and I'll answer it to the best of my ability.

If it helps I've taken A levels in:

Economics
English Literature
History
German (taken early)
Mathematics

What was your opinion on the history and maths a-levels?:smile:
Reply 46
Original post by iamlucyclare
What was your opinion on the history and maths a-levels?:smile:

History on the whole was very interesting. This was of course dependent on my school's syllabus which was very enjoyable. [Russian Rev + French Rev] It seemed daunting for a few months when I was trying to master the tedious 20 marker essay technique, but in all it was straight forward.

Maths was fine. C1 + S1 modules were basically GCSE on steroids. C2 was a jump up but manageable. C3, C4 + S2 were a real 'A level' step up. On the whole it was fine, it must be said although that my enjoyment on Maths slipped somewhat through the course of A2 but overall it as I have previously said, it was fine.
Reply 47
Original post by Maddie0987
Is German alevel a big jump from GCSE? Also, how many speaking exams do you take for it for AS level?

Big jump up. 1 speaking exam
Reply 48
Original post by Edminzodo
Is Sixth Form more relaxed? Considerably? Or does the stress of work cancel this out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sixth Form's whatever you make of it. It's completely up to how you personally respond to stress and your own impression of how difficult Sixth Form is. On the whole it's enjoyable, where at times it's difficult- as long as you ahead of the game enjoyment > stress.
Reply 49
I am about to go into sixth form college and out of the 4 AS cources i have chosen for the first year the only one im worried about is maths. Is it hard? What would you suggest so i can get the best out of the course? Im really nervous about it :frown:

Okay so how do you find Maths? Do you find it easy or hard. Maths is a hard subject but definitely manageable if you work hard. I know people with Bs at GCSE to get an A at A level with hard work-that's what it comes down to. What grade are you predicted to get?
How did you find economics A Level in terms of difficulty, enjoyment and workload?
Reply 51
Original post by aerohotchoc
How did you find economics A Level in terms of difficulty, enjoyment and workload?

Whilst I can only speak for AQA Economics.

- Highly interesting topics. if you're the type of person who enjoys current affairs and can apply Economic theory with these current issues then you will really enjoy it.

- Difficulty is respective. Essay questions are straight forward, most people who struggle find the multiple choice difficult/25 marker. I loved the multiple choice because at first I was only getting around 16/25 - then I did about 10 past papers ranging from 2004. So I ended up getting 24/25 average as I was already very familiar with any possible question that could come up in the real exam.

- Workload, literally non existent. Most teachers, or at least those in my school only gave out a minimal amount of homework which might be reading and then answering unit questions. IMO a small step up from GCSE homework which is like-non existent, but again this was my school. Workload should be respective to your perception of difficulty. That is all.
Original post by Acidy
Whilst I can only speak for AQA Economics.

- Highly interesting topics. if you're the type of person who enjoys current affairs and can apply Economic theory with these current issues then you will really enjoy it.

- Difficulty is respective. Essay questions are straight forward, most people who struggle find the multiple choice difficult/25 marker. I loved the multiple choice because at first I was only getting around 16/25 - then I did about 10 past papers ranging from 2004. So I ended up getting 24/25 average as I was already very familiar with any possible question that could come up in the real exam.

- Workload, literally non existent. Most teachers, or at least those in my school only gave out a minimal amount of homework which might be reading and then answering unit questions. IMO a small step up from GCSE homework which is like-non existent, but again this was my school. Workload should be respective to your perception of difficulty. That is all.

Thank you very much for the detailed response. It is very useful :biggrin:
Reply 53
Thank you very much for the detailed response. It is very useful :biggrin:

Good luck :-)
Original post by Acidy
Good luck :-)

Thanks, same to you for uni!
One quick question- is there any point starting to learn parts of the economics course now, during the holiday? It's just lots of people on here seem to be doing so!
Reply 55
Thanks, same to you for uni!
One quick question- is there any point starting to learn parts of the economics course now, during the holiday? It's just lots of people on here seem to be doing so!

IMO No. Enjoy yourself. There is no difference between applicants who have a months preparation to those that do not in the long term. Especially as Economics is a subject most people haven't come across before and thus will need a solid grounding before it can be understood. On the whole it doesn't matter- if you have a good work ethic when you begin you will be fine.

Don't be put off. TSR users on the whole are a bit OTT- at this point a lot of pre-sixth students become scared of the unknown. Don't be. Wait until September and work hard then.
1. What was History A Level like overall?

2. What did you study for your History course?

3. Any advice for how to handle English Literature?

Honestly people need to stop asking stupid questions "is maths hard" of course it's hard. It's not a highly respected stem subject and highly regarded by employers for no reason. I also don't believe there is any A level that is a walk in the park

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 58
Original post by AmyGeorge98
1. What was History A Level like overall?

2. What did you study for your History course?

3. Any advice for how to handle English Literature?

The responses for the above questions have previously been posted.

Quick Reply

Latest