The Student Room Group

MH17 flight down in Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
It seems unlikely that Ukraine did this. I think the finger will point irresistably at the Russians or their proxies. RT are already in full denial mode, a sure sign of guilt.

I also think this was very unlikely to have been directly authorised by Russia. The separatists have been actively shooting down planes and have no real way of distinguishing between civil and military aircraft. I guess this is just what happens when you angry, untrained, trigger happy people get their hands on guided missile systems.
Original post by Drewski
I don't see it as being particularly a negotiation tool, simply a case of "we don't deal with your side, we don't trust you, we only deal with 'our' side".

I was more thinking along the lines of "we will hand it over if...", however that isn't going to do a great deal to aid their cause, not that those in power in the west really care. The possibility still exists in the form of the crash site itself, and I wonder how that will be handled given that, to the investigators, it's in hostile territory.
Original post by Drewski

2- there is, however, a couple of (unconfirmed) reports suggesting that there were fighter aircraft around the airliner up until 3 minutes before it fell off radar.

Unlikely, there's a video (again - unconfirmed) showing the aircraft actually being hit by the missile and then beginning to dive and disintegrate.

The sick part is the cheering and woops of the people recording it.
Original post by ✈ ✈
Unlikely, there's a video (again - unconfirmed) showing the aircraft actually being hit by the missile and then beginning to dive and disintegrate.

Is it really that sick if they believe it to be a hostile target. Suppose you see a car and you believe that the people in that car intend to kill you, would you not be pleased to see that car explode? The fact that, in actuality, everybody involved is as good as innocent is irrelevant as to your knowledge they are the enemy.
Original post by ✈ ✈

I've seen it, it only shows about a minute preceeding the initial explosion, so that can't be used to confirm or deny those rumours (which come from the Ukrainian Transport Ministry and a Spanish ATC operator in Donetsk).

Video supposedly of a BUK travelling south from Snizhne after the time of the crash
Original post by Jammy Duel
I was more thinking along the lines of "we will hand it over if...", however that isn't going to do a great deal to aid their cause, not that those in power in the west really care. The possibility still exists in the form of the crash site itself, and I wonder how that will be handled given that, to the investigators, it's in hostile territory.

Pretty much the only good thing that's come of it all is that all sides are entertaining the notion of a ceasefire to conduct investigations, so that may become less of a factor.
Original post by DaveSmith99
I also think this was very unlikely to have been directly authorised by Russia. The separatists have been actively shooting down planes and have no real way of distinguishing between civil and military aircraft. I guess this is just what happens when you angry, untrained, trigger happy people get their hands on guided missile systems.

Yes, Putin is absolutely responsible for this, given that he supplied such advanced weaponry to a bunch of gun toting thugs.

How Russia can possibly continue to be permitted to trade with us, as if nothing has happened, is bizarre. Let alone having thousands of their tax exiles living here, some of them members of Putin's circle and buying property in London.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Drewski
I've seen it, it only shows about a minute preceeding the initial explosion, so that can't be used to confirm or deny those rumours (which come from the Ukrainian Transport Ministry and a Spanish ATC operator in Donetsk).

Judging by your earlier post I assume you've read this?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e8c_1405625840

This does add a little credibility to the theory.
Original post by ✈ ✈

Here is said video.
[video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2fb_1405623415[/video]
Original post by Drewski
Pretty much the only good thing that's come of it all is that all sides are entertaining the notion of a ceasefire to conduct investigations, so that may become less of a factor.

Not that it'll be any help in the long term, all it really means is both sides can pause, recuperate and get ready for the next round. There is no sign of a long term solution so, really, Eastern Ukraine is no better off.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Yes, Putin is absolutely responsible for this, given that he supplied such advanced weaponry to a bunch of gun toting thugs.

How Russia can possibly continue to be permitted to trade with us, as if nothing has happened, is bizarre. Let alone having thousands of their tax exiles living here, some of them members of Putin's circle and buying property in London.

The BUK they had was captured from a Ukrainian military base. Putin however has been actively assisting the separatists and put them in a position where they could capture such weapons.

With 250+ EU citizens and likely around 20 Americans dead it will be interesting to see how strong the response is. The GOP in America are already baying for blood.
Original post by Drewski
Here is said video.
[video]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=2fb_1405623415[/video]

Are these people pro-Europe or pro-Russia?
Original post by Monsieur Gamma

Not a clue.

One would assume pro-Russia.
Reply 175
I'm already scared of flying and this incident is gonna make things far worse for me, the next time I'm in plane.

The people cheering? Pro-Russian. They think it's a Ukrainian military plane.
Just watched a video of the crash site, **** makes me feel sick.
Original post by Jammy Duel
One would assume pro-Russia.

Original post by DaveSmith99
The people cheering? Pro-Russian. They think it's a Ukrainian military plane.

So why is there talk the people who shot this plane down, pro-Europe or pro-Russia, mistook it for Putin's plane?

Original post by ✈ ✈
Judging by your earlier post I assume you've read this?

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e8c_1405625840

This does add a little credibility to the theory.
So why is there talk the people who shot this plane down, pro-Europe or pro-Russia, mistook it for Putin's plane?

Because no-one can, at the moment, prove otherwise. It is just one theory, that's all. Both sides want to blame the other for the incident, both sides are denying it was them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending