The Student Room Group

MH17 flight down in Ukraine

Scroll to see replies

Does it not strike anyone as a little odd that two Malaysian Airline 777s have gone down? Is it not worth considering the possibility that the two are linked? I'm genuinely curious.
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
So why is there talk the people who shot this plane down, pro-Europe or pro-Russia, mistook it for Putin's plane?

Because what happened hasn't been confirmed so there is speculation and conflicting stories.
Original post by KingBradly
Does it not strike anyone as a little odd that two Malaysian Airline 777s have gone down? Is it not worth considering the possibility that the two are linked? I'm genuinely curious.

Occam's razor suggests no.

One was positively gunned down ... the other has disappeared. So no.

Not really. Massively different scenarios, different continents, even. Nothing whatsoever to suggest they are linked.

That's like saying one Vauxhall Astra crashed in Scotland, while another was hit by a van while on holiday in Spain, but that they must be related.
Original post by Drewski
Not really. Massively different scenarios, different continents, even. Nothing whatsoever to suggest they are linked.

That's like saying one Vauxhall Astra crashed in Scotland, while another was hit by a van while on holiday in Spain, but that they must be related.

It's terrible 'luck' for Malaysian, their staff must be devastated. You can't help but feel for them as a company.

Six British people so far confirmed dead on the airliner. This is an attack on us and our allies by people armed to the teeth by Putin's corrupt government.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
It's terrible 'luck' for Malaysian, their staff must be devastated. You can't help but feel for them as a company.

Six British people so far confirmed dead on the airliner. This is an attack on us and our allies by people armed to the teeth by Putin's corrupt government.

You wonder if they'll survive. Pan Am had been having trouble for years before Lockerbie put paid to them, whereas Malaysia are a flag carrier. Think their international market may take a hit for a while at the very least.

There is a difference between a deliberate planned attack (which, so far, all the - albeit limited - evidence would suggest this isn't) and a case of mistaken identity (the more likely, although admittedly, unproven case). Certainly comparing it to a military attack upon peoples and nations is overly presumptuous at this point.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)

Even the most trigger happy politicians (Blair) wouldn't make belligerence-tinged presumptions.
Original post by Roger1
I'm already scared of flying and this incident is gonna make things far worse for me, the next time I'm in plane.

It's the safest form of travel. Incidents like this are incredibly rare and as a consequnce widely reported.

Especially when you consider than in just 4 months they alone have racked up a higher death toll of those using their service than the entire industry does in an average year.

Six British people so far confirmed dead on the airliner.

Are you expecting the manifest to change so as to show more people were British, or are you expecting one or more of them to have miraculously survived?

This is an attack on us and our allies by people armed to the teeth by Putin's corrupt government.

Remember kids: don't do druuuuuuuuuuuuuuugs. :cig:
Original post by Drewski
You wonder if they'll survive. Pan Am had been having trouble for years before Lockerbie put paid to them, whereas Malaysia are a flag carrier. Think their international market may take a hit for a while at the very least.

There is a difference between a deliberate planned attack (which, so far, all the - albeit limited - evidence would suggest this isn't) and a case of mistaken identity (the more likely, although admittedly, unproven case). Certainly comparing it to a military attack upon peoples and nations is overly presumptuous at this point.

Spoiler

Apart from the grotesque irresponsibility of the Russian government in allowing these ragbag armies to have such sophisticated weaponry, one wonders how much of an 'accident' it really was. Perhaps some combination of Russian rebels and FSB operatives decided that this point in the conflict required a horrible act to put off anyone else wanting to fly over the region.

I can accept that it wasn't an act of war as such, but it's close to one and the pathetic responses so far from the Kremlin underline how little trust we can place in this neo-fascist government.
Original post by Jammy Duel

Are you expecting the manifest to change so as to show more people were British, or are you expecting one or more of them to have miraculously survived?

So far, the authorities are saying they don't yet have the complete picture of who is dead.
So far, the authorities are saying they don't yet have the complete picture of who is dead.

The odds of surviving an accident of this nature is as good as zero, they're only saying that because they don't have 100% certainty yet.
Apart from the grotesque irresponsibility of the Russian government in allowing these ragbag armies to have such sophisticated weaponry, one wonders how much of an 'accident' it really was. Perhaps some combination of Russian rebels and FSB operatives decided that this point in the conflict required a horrible act to put off anyone else wanting to fly over the region.

I can accept that it wasn't an act of war as such, but it's close to one and the pathetic responses so far from the Kremlin underline how little trust we can place in this neo-fascist government.

Saying that they're "allowed" suggests an amount of control over these groups that's not necessarily proven to be the case.

I don't see why such an action was necessary to prevent overflights, nor why overflights themselves was something worthy of stopping, so I can't buy into that theory at all.
Original post by EmperorMustard
It's the safest form of travel. Incidents like this are incredibly rare and as a consequnce widely reported.

Keep flying over Ukraine and it will soon become common.
They've released a partial list of the passengers nationalities

•154 Dutch
•27 Australian
•23 Malaysian
•11 Indonesian
•6 UK
•4 German
•4 Belgian
•3 Philippines
•One Canadian
Original post by DaveSmith99
The BUK they had was captured from a Ukrainian military base. Putin however has been actively assisting the separatists and put them in a position where they could capture such weapons.

With 250+ EU citizens and likely around 20 Americans dead it will be interesting to see how strong the response is. The GOP in America are already baying for blood.

No mention of Americans only Dutch, Indonesian, Australians, British, Malaysians & French. At least nine countries' citizens.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Monsieur Gamma
Keep flying over Ukraine and it will soon become common.

They've been flying over Ukraine ever since the beginning of the conflict. Hasn't happened before.
Original post by SMEGGGY
No mention of Americans only Dutch, Indonesian, Australians, British, Malaysians & French. At least nine countries' citizens.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Reuters were reporting 23 Americans a couple of hours back, this was before the list was released however.
Original post by Drewski
They've been flying over Ukraine ever since the beginning of the conflict. Hasn't happened before.

Pro-Russians only started gunning presumed Ukraine planes recently.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending