The Student Room Group

Music or Science??!

I'm really unsure what to with my life and I'm worried that if I do Music there will be no future, whereas if I do Science it's more or less guaranteed. Also, my mum's worried that if I pick Music I won't get a job and even though she keeps telling me to do what I love, I feel very pressured to do Science. Please help, are there any Music/Science students that care to share their views on this?
Thank you :smile:
Both! If I can find a way, that is- I have exactly the same problem :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by bushra.smohsin
Music is art whereas science is mind numbingly common (and boring in my opinion). I would want my life to me as creative and artistic as it possibly can be, but that's just me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, I enjoy both, however if Music was an easy career path I hink that's what I'd choose.

Original post by furryface12
Both! If I can find a way, that is- I have exactly the same problem :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I'm trying to find a way to study both at a good universty in the UK and it's very difficult to find anything! :/ Oh and just out of interest, what instrument do you play?
Original post by maestrocam
Haha, I enjoy both, however if Music was an easy career path I hink that's what I'd choose.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!! I'm trying to find a way to study both at a good universty in the UK and it's very difficult to find anything! :/ Oh and just out of interest, what instrument do you play?

Yeah I had that problem, in the end I've gone for just physics but at a uni with reasonably good music so I can still do that. I did apply to some physics and music courses though! I play flute and saxophone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you'd have asked me this questions 2 years ago, my answer would have been a simple one. Music. I was absolutely dead-set on a career in music. I was a performer, I liked managing events, the whole lot. It was fairly certain that my life was heading in that direction.

Then something changed. I realised how, not only is it seriously difficult to get into and stay in the music industry, but most of the people who will be there with you are massive idiots. It was their attitude that put me off it. Honestly, most of my encounters of people who wanted the same as me were doing it for money, which is fair enough, but it's a huge gamble and risk just to have the hope of getting a profit at the end. Talent is something that doesn't really matter any more, you need a gimmick. It was that part of it that I hated the most.

So then I decided to take my second passion which I equally loved which was aviation, or something similar. To cut a long story short about all the choices and decisions I made, I'm now joining the RAF as an Aircraft/Aeronautical Engineer with the hope of getting a degree in that one day and progressing as far as I can.

Different subjects are going to attract different kinds of people, but from my experience, the kinds of people that a music career attracts are not the people I want to be around.

Best of luck with whatever choice you make, as you can make it work either way if you want it badly enough.
Do what you love. You don't wanna study Science to end up withdrawing a few months/years before you graduate.

I think if you do choose to study Music, you should first consider if Music really is for you - many people just make it in their bedrooms and don't think much of it, I want it to be my career and I can treat everything else as insignificant/side jobs, if I don't get a job in Music straight out of uni I'll go do an unrelated job full or part time and be fully focused on Music in my time outside of work.

I'd say there are scientific music courses available such as Music Psychology, Music Production & Acoustics, even Music Computing (as offered by London Goldsmiths Uni).

I'm picking Music over Computing this year, I had my mind set on studying Computer Science for 3 years before something clicked earlier this year, now I want to study Music. I've been passionate about it since my early childhood and I only put 2/5 choices on my UCAS for Music related courses - really glad I made that gamble, as I have been given a conditional firm offer to study it.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest