The Student Room Group

If you saw someone being raped, what do you think is more important?

Scroll to see replies

I would approach the rapist as fast as I could while still trying to remain unseen. Once I'm close enough, kick the rapist right in the face. I'd hit the rapist where it hurts a few times, in an attempt to make sure that they're on the floor in pain. While keeping on eye on the excuse for a human being, I'd call 999 and help the victim.
Reply 41
Ooh I've changed my mind, sneak up to the rapist and say "don't do that, you'll only make daddy's willy harder" right over their shoulder. Then I would kick their ass

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not a very fast runner or a good fighter. Depends on the situation but ideally I'd try and get a snapshot of them and then look after the person being raped I guess.
Reply 43
I would go after the rapist, the victim will get support sooner or later regardless of what I do but the rapist may never be caught. Not that I would be thinking rationally at that point, and I definitely don't think "catching them for the police" would be the course of action I would have in mind while chasing them down.
i think i wud take my fone out as i approach while shouting and raising alarm as much as poss and try n get pics of the immediate scene and rapist, then call police and stay with victim cos even if u dont get a pic of the rapist u might catch other people in the background or cars etc.. which could b poss witnesses
Help the victim definitely, but would try and get a description of the rapist.
Reply 46
I would help the victim as I'm not a fast enough runner to be able to catch the rapist. :tongue:
No way I would risk running down the rapist. If he has a knife I would be screwed.
If I could capture and subdue the rapist before they had a chance to run I would, try catch him/her off guard. But if not there's no way I would leave the victim unattended, they would definitely be terrified and possibly injured, also if the rapist looked too risky to take on in a fight I'd leave it, playing hero against someone you couldn't take is more idiotic than brave tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Being a 19 year old, 5 foot and couple inches girl, and assuming its a man capable of raping a guy/girl (doubt a girl would be raping someone on the street, those seem to be more planned and behind closed doors) I would not attempt to go after him. I'd be leaving a poor traumatised and terrified person alone and if I caught up with this guy..what next? He'd probably knock me flat, maybe even rape me if he was that psychotic, or worse.

My priority would be to phone for an ambulance, police car, and calm the person down. Besides, even if I hypothetically restrained the rapist, what then? I can't keep a man down while juggling my phone to phone 999, and I'd think the victim having to stare at his/her rapist in the face until help came would dig the traumatisation deeper.

In a way I kind of consider trying to play the hero a bold but slightly idiotic move.
I think it'd be pretty dangerous to chase after a rapist tbh.
Reply 51
Original post by Joshale
When you see someone being raped, whether that's female or male and presumably you approach to get rid of the rapist, would you run after him/her to capture them for the police before assisting the person? or would you assist the person who has just been raped first, but the person gets away?

I had a debate with a friend, and he think's you should assist the person first, because of the traumatising experience, but I don't, this means that the vulgar rapist can get away more easily.

I'd agree with you that the rapist should be the predominant concern. By not attempting to stop him, you've condemned others to a possible similar experience.
If I'm alone chase them a short distance, no luck then head back to victim. If others are around and looking after the victim then chase them as long and hard as I can.

Original post by Chief Wiggum

Relatively safe compared to many other criminals. Rapists don't usually use a weapon, a fact that causes problems as use of a weapon raises a legal presumption about consent.
Reply 53

It'd be a noble risk, no?
Original post by Le Nombre

Relatively safe compared to many other criminals. Rapists don't usually use a weapon, a fact that causes problems as use of a weapon raises a legal presumption about consent.

Even without a weapon, I think the fact he's just raped someone would suggest that he may be fairly dangerous...

How would you restrain him?
Even without a weapon, I think the fact he's just raped someone would suggest that he may be fairly dangerous...

How would you restrain him?

If the victim's a woman, and the majority are, and he's used physical force to restrain her he's not necessarily dangerous to me.

If I just caught up with him, tackle him from behind and pin him to the floor, I'm fairly well built so would back myself against the vast majority of people once actually on top of them. If I cornered them somewhere it'd be more difficult, would probably just attempt to somehow pin them down, admittedly this one could involve more violence.
Original post by Joshale
When you see someone being raped, whether that's female or male and presumably you approach to get rid of the rapist, would you run after him/her to capture them for the police before assisting the person? or would you assist the person who has just been raped first, but the person gets away?

I had a debate with a friend, and he think's you should assist the person first, because of the traumatising experience, but I don't, this means that the vulgar rapist can get away more easily.

I'd help the victim. Aside from it being the more pressing concern, I'd have risked my safety enough stopping the rape, so there's no way I'm playing PC Plod

Posted from TSR Mobile
When i joined this site i thought it was for students to have good intelligent discussions/debates. Some of these comments now make me think there's not enough student funding in the world to educate some people.
Reply 58
Sit next to the rapist and make cat sounds :smile:
Honestly, I think the best thing to do would be to try and remember as much about the rapist as possible, so that they could be turned into the police, and one of those computer generated images could be created in order for them to be found and arrested. I would then stay and help the victim. Still, a very difficult question, and you never really know how you would react in real life :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending