The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Mass protest being held in London and across the UK on Saturday 19th July:

http://stopwar.org.uk/events/national-gaza-demonstration-saturday-19-july-stop-the-killing-stop-the-bombing#.U8VVxrHZcYL

I encourage you all to partake in it, whichever side you seem to agree with more, the current onslaught is not helping and awareness needs to be raised on the effect it is currently having upon civilians on both sides whether mentally and/or physically.
Original post by jabire3
Palestine. Don't get me wrong, Hamas need to realise they cannot win.

But, at the same time, Israel are killing civilians. IF IT WERE ANY OTHER COUNTRY, IT WOULD BE CONDEMMED BY THE USA AND THE UN WOULD HAVE DONE SOMETHING!

Like I said in a previous post, Israel and Gaza HATE each other. They want to kill each other, Israel with the backing of western nations can kill as it pleases and nothing will happen. This is 2014.

Also, Israel say they warn before they strike. Partly true (although a BBC clip showed they don't always), but with all this technology, they knew those four children were on the beach and killed them purposely.

lot of ignorant blurted out comments on this thread, i suppose from the ignorant youth of today who dont even know the background to these conflicts. israel dont 'hate da gaza!!' - israel used to occupy gaza and the border areas with egypt fully till their withdrawl in 2005. the problem that is now is as they always claimed is that their withdrawl would allow islamist groups to take residence and plot attacks ( we all knew this would happen. ) in reality israel would not get too far on jsut air strikes alone to reduce hamas rocket fire- they would have to follow up with ground invasion ie re- occupation with ground forces.
Original post by Kutta
Dont be fooled by propaganda. nobody wants to be a human shield...and Gaza is so densely populated there will always be civilians killed. You can imagine someone sitting there thinking "how can we get the blame off ourselves, oh I know let's tell the world the enemy tells civilians to become human shields" it's a stupid excuse, let's do a objective test,would you as a reasonable man be a human shield during a war? Exactly, then what makes you think a innocent Palestinians would.

You know what Israel could do? Stop bombing them! That normally helps. Remember it started with a blame game, the blame of the murder of 3 innocent people. Hamas said they did not do it, it makes no sense for them to do it and before we could blink the rockets started landing in Gaza. As Israel said "they will pay" I guess Palestinians are paying?

Dont think I'm supporting Hamas here they are equally wrong in launching rockets. But without Israel first launching rockets this escalation would never have happened. Could have called it evens when they shoved petrol down a Palestinians throat and burned him to death.

It's extraordinary tbh, the amount of people who believe the Israeli propaganda machine when their justifications make very little sense. Yes collateral damage happens in war, but when 77% of total casualties are civilians (of which the majority is women and children), there is something fundamentally wrong.

Updates from twitter are now saying Israel are using white poisonous gas on Rafah civilians.
Original post by getfunky!

http://stopwar.org.uk/events/national-gaza-demonstration-saturday-19-july-stop-the-killing-stop-the-bombing#.U8VVxrHZcYL

I encourage you all to partake in it, whichever side you seem to agree with more, the current onslaught is not helping and awareness needs to be raised on the effect it is currently having upon civilians on both sides whether mentally and/or physically.

a stop the war march seems pointless without a stop islamist terrorism march to go along with it. israel would cease military activity in gaza tomorrow if the palestinian police force turned over every hamas rocket and terrosit to israel and also stop hamas from kidnappings. this is the only real way israel will stop operations - when there is no terrorists to respond to
Original post by Meenglishnogood
lot of ignorant blurted out comments on this thread, i suppose from the ignorant youth of today who dont even know the background to these conflicts. israel dont 'hate da gaza!!' - israel used to occupy gaza and the border areas with egypt fully till their withdrawl in 2005. the problem that is now is as they always claimed is that their withdrawl would allow islamist groups to take residence and plot attacks ( we all knew this would happen. ) in reality israel would not get too far on jsut air strikes alone to reduce hamas rocket fire- they would have to follow up with ground invasion ie re- occupation with ground forces.

Erm no... Israelis hate Palestinians. Palestinians hate Israelis. There's no two ways about it.

We can all sit here and discuss, but at the end of the da, we have a roof over our head that won't be bombed down tonight. The most dangerous thing that will happen tonight is the rain. Until America do something, or the UN do something, Israel will not stop.
The shekelmeisters gonna be holocausting those goyim. Oy vey how ironic Mr shekelstein

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeavyTeddy
It's extraordinary tbh, the amount of people who believe the Israeli propaganda machine when their justifications make very little sense. Yes collateral damage happens in war, but when 77% of total casualties are civilians (of which the majority is women and children), there is something fundamentally wrong.

Updates from twitter are now saying Israel are using white poisonous gas on Rafah civilians.

i see propaganda on both sides tbh, the most remarkable is tho when terrorist group can chant some islamic passages form the quran and the entire muslim population can ignore the fact that hamas hide amoungst palestinian civilialns while they fire rockets at israeli cvilians - then complain when israel send warplanes in . shows how cleverly worded propaganda can instil idiocy
why ???

Why not just bomb the terrorists from above ?

no need for a ground invasion

doesn't make military sense
Original post by jabire3
Erm no... Israelis hate Palestinians. Palestinians hate Israelis. There's no two ways about it.

We can all sit here and discuss, but at the end of the da, we have a roof over our head that won't be bombed down tonight. The most dangerous thing that will happen tonight is the rain. Until America do something, or the UN do something, Israel will not stop.

no again you have it mixed up in your head. israel dont hate palestine, they would have been happy to govern it, if it werent being used as a base camp for terrorists. up until few years ago , israelis used to live quite happily in palestinian lands. its only essentially, the arabs worlds hatred of israel as a even a concept that forced them out.

dont you think of terrorsits sheltering in one of UKs neighbours persistent firing rockets into our cities would illicit a similar reaction from us? if not a ground invasion certainly airstrikes.
Original post by getfunky!

Any idea where these 'people' were whilst 200,000 died in Syria?
What I'm concerned about is the role of the international body- the UN. Clearly, thousands of innocent civilians have been killed and are still at a constant threat.If equality is what the UN promotes, then why are thousands of Palestinians are brutally killed, yet no one takes no notice of it? What is this? Clearly injustice! Seriously, you don't even have to be a Muslim to condemn the current situation in Gaza, looking at those pictures of innocent young children, young men and women and the elderly in such a bad state, I believe every human would be astonished and depressed. Clearly, humanity has failed, you see humans but no humanity.

Plus, I really don't want to go into the Muslims-Jewish debate. I believe no religion promotes injustice and so I'm not going to judge a religion based on the actions of its followers.
Original post by democracyforum
why ???

Why not just bomb the terrorists from above ?

no need for a ground invasion

doesn't make military sense

I think thr generals in charge know a bit more about military strategy than you do.
Original post by Kamakazi145
I support peace. I believe the Palestinian to Israeli death ratio since 2000 is something like 5:1. Israel has been using excessive force over the last 14 years, but the various militant groups in Palestine need to realise Israel is obviously going to defend itself when being threatened.

Disproportionate force and casualties is a complete red herring and the argument of a moron.

First of all, the way to win a conflict is to hit harder than your enemy.

Hence why Britain's reply to Germany's V2 rockets, was fire bombing Dresden killing tens of thousands.

Let's try and have an adult debate. You won't win conflicts by being proportionate, you win conflicts by killing more of the enemy or destroying more of their infrastructure.

Just like British troops are currently doing in Afghanistan.

What do you think the ratio is there?

453 British troops have been killed. Any guess how many Afghans?

It's certainly more than 5:1
Original post by Meenglishnogood
i see propaganda on both sides tbh, the most remarkable is tho when terrorist group can chant some islamic passages form the quran and the entire muslim population can ignore the fact that hamas hide amoungst palestinian civilialns while they fire rockets at israeli cvilians - then complain when israel send warplanes in . shows how cleverly worded propaganda can instil idiocy

More propaganda in bold. Do you actually engage in civilised debate with evidence, or do you just enjoy the back and forth drivel?

Why have you jumped to discussing to Hamas? And if hypothetically Israel realised that Hamas are hiding amongst Palestinian civilians and that their attacks were killing more civilians than actual targets, why did they continue to bomb Gaza indiscriminately, nonstop for a week? Why did they target power lines, water infastructure, a disabled center, children on a beach (because Hamas members are definitely strolling along the beach during Israeli attack)? There is no logic to it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-28359853

The zionist cowards didn't waste much time did they. 5 month old baby killed by Israeli tank fire.
Original post by Rakas21
Hamas started the conflict and broke the cease fire twice, that Israel will not remove them from government means that they are not going far enough in my opinion.

lol Israel started it when it threw people out of their homes.
Good, Hamas aren't the good guys at all, so I don't know why people pretend only Israel is at fault in the region.
Original post by Rakas21
Hamas started the conflict and broke the cease fire twice, that Israel will not remove them from government means that they are not going far enough in my opinion.

Do you even know anything about the Israel-Palestine conflict? At all?
Original post by Rakas21

Original post by interact
lol Israel started it when it threw people out of their homes.

You can't really say who started it, but I would say Israel. After all, they came along and were all like "Hey, bro, we used to live here 2 millenia ago, this is our land!".

I'm inclined to say that Israel only exists as a state today because, for some reason (sympathy?), the western powers were on their side and they've managed to develop the technology to protect their dodgy claim to the land.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Genocidal
Good, Hamas aren't the good guys at all, so I don't know why people pretend only Israel is at fault in the region.

Tbh, the thing I'm most concerned about as a human being right now is the killing of innocent humans. What's their fault?

Latest

Trending

Trending