The Student Room Group

Why does HR make the final decision in hiring someone?

Hi,

I went to an interview recently, and was informed that the hiring managers really liked me, and that they are waiting on HR.

Why does HR make the final call?

Also, what factors are taken into consideration when hiring someone, even when HR were not physically present at the interviews or seen you in person?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I went to an interview recently, and was informed that the hiring managers really liked me, and that they are waiting on HR.

Why does HR make the final call?

Also, what factors are taken into consideration when hiring someone, even when HR were not physically present at the interviews or seen you in person?

Sounds like a total cop out. Management are above HR anyway.
Reply 2
Original post by Laomedeia
Sounds like a total cop out. Management are above HR anyway.

What do you mean by cop out?
It just sounds like they couldnt be arsed to say "sorry, but you do not meet our needs" or "you dont have enough experience". A sort of polite, yet ignorant way of not taking OP on.
Reply 4
Original post by Laomedeia
It just sounds like they couldnt be arsed to say "sorry, but you do not meet our needs" or "you dont have enough experience". A sort of polite, yet ignorant way of not taking OP on.

Great! I was told that the hiring managers liked me, but that the HR has to make the final decision. I guess I have been lied to
Great! I was told that the hiring managers liked me, but that the HR has to make the final decision. I guess I have been lied to

I wouldn't say that. I know that HR had to approve me before I got offered my job. I'm not sure exactly why and I didn't meet with anyone from HR, but I still got the job :smile: I assumed it was because they may have been checking my references or something, but they're only actually doing that now, after I've already signed the contract which is weird :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Ian80
I wouldn't say that. I know that HR had to approve me before I got offered my job. I'm not sure exactly why and I didn't meet with anyone from HR, but I still got the job :smile: I assumed it was because they may have been checking my references or something, but they're only actually doing that now, after I've already signed the contract which is weird :tongue:

But in terms of me getting the job, is it a good sign? Because the hiring manager told me there was nothing to worry about
They'll be checking your references, making sure your CV matches up against the job spec and doesn't look like it's full of lies, making sure any internal permissions for offering you the role are dealt with, drawing up the offer/contract etc.
But in terms of me getting the job, is it a good sign? Because the hiring manager told me there was nothing to worry about

It sounds like your interview went really well, and I can't imagine he would tell you there was nothing to worry about if he wasn't planning on offering you the job. Sounds like a weird thing to say otherwise, were you the last to be interviewed?
HR will only deal with the formalities, so references etc. They don't actually make the decision, they just check there's no reason not to hire you, eg. lying on your CV. Then deal with the admin.

Sounds like it's just being held up by final paperwork.
Reply 10
HR have to do all that job admin, if you were to get a job and then something didn't check out; like your references or qualifications, it would be on their head so your department run their interviews and then push your papers to HR to do checks and then send you paperwork.
Reply 11
Original post by Ian80
It sounds like your interview went really well, and I can't imagine he would tell you there was nothing to worry about if he wasn't planning on offering you the job. Sounds like a weird thing to say otherwise, were you the last to be interviewed?

I'm not sure if I was the last to be interviewed, but I can only imagine I was, based on the fact that interview was heavily based on the project that I would potentially be involved in.

All I know is that both hiring managers are happy with me and interview performance and that its down to HR. Based on the fact that I am up against another candidate, what*are my chances at getting the job out of 10? 1 being lowest and 10 being highest
Reply 12
Original post by Wattsy
HR have to do all that job admin, if you were to get a job and then something didn't check out; like your references or qualifications, it would be on their head so your department run their interviews and then push your papers to HR to do checks and then send you paperwork.

The fact that the hiring managers were happy with my performance and myself - what are my chances of getting the job?

Its all down to HR now
Reply 13
Original post by Potally_Tissed
HR will only deal with the formalities, so references etc. They don't actually make the decision, they just check there's no reason not to hire you, eg. lying on your CV. Then deal with the admin.

Sounds like it's just being held up by final paperwork.

So will I get the job?
So will I get the job?

I'd say it looks pretty promising.
Reply 15
Original post by Potally_Tissed
I'd say it looks pretty promising.

Like 80 percent chance of getting the job?

The final round is over and I am competing against someone else. I did really well in the first round and was invited to the second. Both hiring managers liked me but I was informed that its down to HR
I'm not sure if I was the last to be interviewed, but I can only imagine I was, based on the fact that interview was heavily based on the project that I would potentially be involved in.

All I know is that both hiring managers are happy with me and interview performance and that its down to HR. Based on the fact that I am up against another candidate, what*are my chances at getting the job out of 10? 1 being lowest and 10 being highest

Probably 7 or 8?
I know that I had a really great interview not too long ago and the interviewer gave the impression that they were going to offer it to me and said I was in with a very good chance. I was also the last to be interviewed. But I ended up not getting it because the other candidate just had more experience than me. So I've learned not to get my hopes up until I'm actually offered the job, no matter how well I think the interview went :tongue:

How long have you been waiting to hear?

And you're basing this on what some random person on the internet told you? HR is the arm of any organisation which administers the hiring and firing of staff. There are procedures and legal processes which have to be gone through in the offering of a job and it's HR's job to do it. There will be issues you are unaware of, such as the actual hours they need to employ someone for and so on. It's standard procedure.
Reply 18
Original post by Ian80
Probably 7 or 8?
I know that I had a really great interview not too long ago and the interviewer gave the impression that they were going to offer it to me and said I was in with a very good chance. I was also the last to be interviewed. But I ended up not getting it because the other candidate just had more experience than me. So I've learned not to get my hopes up until I'm actually offered the job, no matter how well I think the interview went :tongue:

How long have you been waiting to hear?

2 days.

They said that I did well and that HR have to get back to me.

Yeah I mean its not guaranteed but what will HR be doing?
Reply 19
Original post by carnationlilyrose
And you're basing this on what some random person on the internet told you? HR is the arm of any organisation which administers the hiring and firing of staff. There are procedures and legal processes which have to be gone through in the offering of a job and it's HR's job to do it. There will be issues you are unaware of, such as the actual hours they need to employ someone for and so on. It's standard procedure.

No I was told this directly.

Apparently something to do with headcounts, and things like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending