The Student Room Group

Somebody please help with my dilemma - german gcse private candidate.

So basically my school didn't offer german at gcse, so therefore I haven't been able to take it.
I really want to take it as an alevel because I want to study the language in as much depth as possible and possibly work there for a while.
I'm currently in year 10 by the way and will start year 11 in September.
Would it be possible to study german as a private/ external candidate and sit the examination and coursework through an exam board.
My parents are arranging for me to get a private tutor if this is possible as they understand that this means something to me.
I'm extremely hard working and know that I could complete the course within a year before I start my alevels and get a good grade- I'm an a/a* grade in all of my lessons.
So I'm just wondering if it is possible to sit the examinations outside of school, if I learn the course with my tutor to a excellent level.
Also, does anybody know where I could sit the exams or what exam boards/ places offer it?
Sophie.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can, but it is so hard to find a centre that permits you to do the controlled assessments.

I am a private candidate too, maybe do an igcse?
Reply 2
would that be a recognised qualification that would allow me to study it at alevel?
Also, if you don't mind me asking where are you a private candidate?😔

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Damien_Dalgaard
You can, but it is so hard to find a centre that permits you to do the controlled assessments.

I am a private candidate too, maybe do an igcse?

would that be a recognised qualification that would allow me to study it at alevel?
Also, if you don't mind me asking where are you a private candidate?😔
Original post by Imsophie
Also, if you don't mind me asking where are you a private candidate?

yep ofc, igcses are harder than gcses - but same recognition.

I don't know what you mean, but I don't go to school.

I haven't found a centre, try emailing local private ones, they may offer it - or go on the exam boards site :smile:
Reply 5
I know that you can definitely take GCSEs outside of school. I took an Astronomy GCSE outside of school for example, but usually you do it through a college. There are adults doing GCSEs in their spare time, so maybe look around at local colleges/universities to see if there are any open courses and talk to them.
Also, how much background do you have with the German language? If you are a complete beginner then there is no way you will complete the GCSE course in 1 year to an A* ability. You probably studied it at KS2 if you are passionate about it. I would say if you have a background in a Germanic language e.g. Swedish, then that would help you pick it up faster, however I don't think it's possible to study a 2 year German course in 1 year, achieve an A* grade ON TOP of all of your other GCSEs. German is a demanding subject where the only way to learn is repetition and a lot of hard work. If you have a knack for languages it will still be a mean feat in just 12 months.
As I said before, check with colleges. However, I think you'll have to enrol in an evening course if possible, as well as or instead of your tutor. German GCSEs are graded on Listening, Reading, Writing AND Speaking exams. Whilst listening and reading are exams you can just turn up to, writing and speaking require supervised preparation sessions, and the speaking needs an assessor to sit down with you and have a conversation, record it, and mark it. This is far easier and smoother if done with your teacher, so I would recommend looking at proper courses instead of just trying to submit yourself into the tests and do all of the studying independently. So look at colleges, and definitely talk to your school's languages teachers - they may have some inside knowledge on it. Good luck, and you'll have fun with German! My favourite subject :biggrin:
Original post by Amewlia
I know that you can definitely take GCSEs outside of school. I took an Astronomy GCSE outside of school for example, but usually you do it through a college. There are adults doing GCSEs in their spare time, so maybe look around at local colleges/universities to see if there are any open courses and talk to them.
Also, how much background do you have with the German language? If you are a complete beginner then there is no way you will complete the GCSE course in 1 year to an A* ability. You probably studied it at KS2 if you are passionate about it. I would say if you have a background in a Germanic language e.g. Swedish, then that would help you pick it up faster, however I don't think it's possible to study a 2 year German course in 1 year, achieve an A* grade ON TOP of all of your other GCSEs. German is a demanding subject where the only way to learn is repetition and a lot of hard work. If you have a knack for languages it will still be a mean feat in just 12 months.
As I said before, check with colleges. However, I think you'll have to enrol in an evening course if possible, as well as or instead of your tutor. German GCSEs are graded on Listening, Reading, Writing AND Speaking exams. Whilst listening and reading are exams you can just turn up to, writing and speaking require supervised preparation sessions, and the speaking needs an assessor to sit down with you and have a conversation, record it, and mark it. This is far easier and smoother if done with your teacher, so I would recommend looking at proper courses instead of just trying to submit yourself into the tests and do all of the studying independently. So look at colleges, and definitely talk to your school's languages teachers - they may have some inside knowledge on it. Good luck, and you'll have fun with German! My favourite subject :biggrin:

Did you have to pay to do it outside of schoool?

Quick Reply

Latest