The Student Room Group

Help with English

Hey guys, I was posting this thread because I wish to improve my grammar, punctuation, spelling and my writing ability. I am in question (could have used a better word here, typical example) whether to choose English language A level next year, but I am worried my English is not up to the standard.

So, the reason I posted this thread was to ask you guys whether you know good ways to improve me English speaking and writing skills, from the foundation to advance.

Any replies will be appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Troytheboy
Hey guys, I was posting this thread because I wish to improve my grammar, punctuation, spelling and my writing ability. I am in question (could have used a better word here, typical example) whether to choose English language A level next year, but I am worried my English is not up to the standard.

So, the reason I posted this thread was to ask you guys whether you know good ways to improve me English speaking and writing skills, from the foundation to advance.

Well, I guess the best way is for you to read, and try to practise writing. Read novels, books etc anything that is to your fancy and is good at the same time. As for writing, try to imagine something and then write about it. Or put to pen your experiences. There is a procedure we use--I'm not sure what it is named--but in it the writer is supposed to write whatever he can in minutes. If he cannot find anything to write, he can write just that: "I can't write anything".

To improve your speaking skills, there are a lot of ways. Try in front of a mirror. Or imagine an audience and then try to speak. Getting your friends to help can be a good choice too.
Good luck! :smile:
Hey guys, I was posting this thread because I wish to improve my grammar, punctuation, spelling and my writing ability. I am in question* (could have used a better word here, typical example) whether to choose English language A level next year, but I am worried my English is not up to the standard.

You are pretty good at english OP. I'm impressed, your english is actually better than most english people I know, and I promise I'm not saying that to make you feel better. In that one instance, you could have used instead the phrase "I am questioning wether to choose....."

If you are in the UK, I strongly suggest listening to BBC's radio 4. They have alot of qualified individuals on discussing a whole range of topics, usually presenting both sides quite well in my opinion. This would be worth listening to it alone, however listening to them speaking (if you catch it at the right time, there is never really any music) not only will you become alot more informed on issues within the world but you'll pick up correct pronunciation from a variety of dialects as well as extending your vocabulary.

I can't offer you much in terms of further reading or courses, however I think this would be a great start and I think your english (written form at least) is actually of a high standard. Good luck to you in your endeavors
Original post by Reece Sure
You are pretty good at english OP. I'm impressed, your english is actually better than most english people I know, and I promise I'm not saying that to make you feel better. In that one instance, you could have used instead the phrase "I am questioning wether to choose....."

If you are in the UK, I strongly suggest listening to BBC's radio 4. They have alot of qualified individuals on discussing a whole range of topics, usually presenting both sides quite well in my opinion. This would be worth listening to it alone, however listening to them speaking (if you catch it at the right time, there is never really any music) not only will you become alot more informed on issues within the world but you'll pick up correct pronunciation from a variety of dialects as well as extending your vocabulary.

I can't offer you much in terms of further reading or courses, however I think this would be a great start and I think your english (written form at least) is actually of a high standard. Good luck to you in your endeavors

Thank you so much haha, you have been such a confident boost and I shall have to listen to radio 4, it sounds really informing and great for improving my English. :biggrin:
Original post by Dynamo123
Well, I guess the best way is for you to read, and try to practise writing. Read novels, books etc anything that is to your fancy and is good at the same time. As for writing, try to imagine something and then write about it. Or put to pen your experiences. There is a procedure we use--I'm not sure what it is named--but in it the writer is supposed to write whatever he can in minutes. If he cannot find anything to write, he can write just that: "I can't write anything".

To improve your speaking skills, there are a lot of ways. Try in front of a mirror. Or imagine an audience and then try to speak. Getting your friends to help can be a good choice too.
Good luck! :smile:

I am going to follow your advice and read more, but primarily I am going to write about my experiences more to improve my use of vocabulary and writing skills. What do you mean by writing "I can't write anything"?
I'm having the same problem. I feel less confident using commas I don't know why, but it's making me feel miserable and stupid. Im pretty much annoyed how at school I wasn't taught all the guid lines for commas. I can't believe most schools get away with this and to top it off they get paid. I had to retake English GCSE due to this nonsense. I've learned how to use commas with lists,conjunction, subordinate conjunction, introductory phrases and words.

Yet, when I grab a paper I just go blank and don't know where to insert the commas. I can't relax until I feel confident. I guess I'm more of a typist, but considering I'm starting university I'm going to have to handwritten essays which is my worse nightmare. The worse thing is that I'm generally interested and passionate about the course I have chosen to study , and now I have more pressure as the thought of making stupid comma errors is terrifying me because I will be marked down. Everyone cry with me!
Handwrite*
Thank you so much haha, you have been such a confident boost and I shall have to listen to radio 4, it sounds really informing and great for improving my English. :biggrin:

You can listen to the iPlayer here. Just choose what type of category you like and you can listen to whatever shows have been on in the last however many days. Feel welcome to message me if I can be of any further assistance, I have all the time in the world for someone willing to dedicate time, effort and patience towards improving their intellectual capacities and you certainly seem determined enough. I wish you all the best, good luck to you!
Original post by Highfiveyou
I'm having the same problem. I feel less confident using commas I don't know why, but it's making me feel miserable and stupid. Im pretty much annoyed how at school I wasn't taught all the guid lines for commas. I can't believe most schools get away with this and to top it off they get paid. I had to retake English GCSE due to this nonsense. I've learned how to use commas with lists,conjunction, subordinate conjunction, introductory phrases and words.

Yet, when I grab a paper I just go blank and don't know where to insert the commas. I can't relax until I feel confident. I guess I'm more of a typist, but considering I'm starting university I'm going to have to handwritten essays which is my worse nightmare. The worse thing is that I'm generally interested and passionate about the course I have chosen to study , and now I have more pressure as the thought of making stupid comma errors is terrifying me because I will be marked down. Everyone cry with me!

The following may not be compatible with your native tongue, however the way I learnt in school was that a comma is inserted in the place of a breath. Whenever we speak, any pauses out loud between listing items, thinking of what else to say etc, would be where you insert a comma.

Examples;

Anna: Excuse me, could you please direct me to the Cinema?
Ben: Of course! Follow the road down to the bottom and then at the end, take a right. Follow that road, and at the end take a left.

Amir: What are the ingredients for the shortcake?
Bilal: The ingredients we need include butter, cinnamon, a hint of vanilla, sugar and flour.

I hope this helped clear any confusion, my offer of assistance to the OP extends to yourself too. Good luck folks!
You can listen to the iPlayer here. Just choose what type of category you like and you can listen to whatever shows have been on in the last however many days. Feel welcome to message me if I can be of any further assistance, I have all the time in the world for someone willing to dedicate time, effort and patience towards improving their intellectual capacities and you certainly seem determined enough. I wish you all the best, good luck to you!

Thank you once again, if I experience any problems I will message you. I am going to follow you, but your help is valued :colondollar:
Thank you once again, if I experience any problems I will message you. I am going to follow you, but your help is valued :colondollar:

No worries!

x

I forgot to add, that as Ronove said in another thread the use of commas is very informal. You don't even really need to use commas in day to day is how I would advise approaching it, unless you are using lists. Once you have written your text, read it in your head and think to yourself "If someone was reading this aloud, how long would the sentence be? Would they need a breath?" If you think that you would need to take a breath at a certain point in the sentence, thats where you insert a comma. Don't worry about any other rules you've been taught, comma's are literally used for just showing the reader where to pause and take a breath in a sentence. Again, respect to you both for taking the time to learn the language, it can be a tough one at times!
No worries!

I forgot to add, that as Ronove said in another thread the use of commas is very informal. You don't even really need to use commas in day to day is how I would advise approaching it, unless you are using lists. Once you have written your text, read it in your head and think to yourself "If someone was reading this aloud, how long would the sentence be? Would they need a breath?" If you think that you would need to take a breath at a certain point in the sentence, thats where you insert a comma. Don't worry about any other rules you've been taught, comma's are literally used for just showing the reader where to pause and take a breath in a sentence. Again, respect to you both for taking the time to learn the language, it can be a tough one at times!

Thanks but what if comma splicing occurs?
Thanks but what if comma splicing occurs?

I wish I could be of more assistance, however until tonight I had never actually heard of comma splices.

Try this website.
It seems informative and I'll certainly be checking it out further tomorrow!
Really? If you don't mind me asking are you a student of some sort? And it's shocking because I've never heard of comma splicing before either at school, until I went to college I was told. It was last September when I was informed about this rule that completely **** on my confidants.
I am going to follow your advice and read more, but primarily I am going to write about my experiences more to improve my use of vocabulary and writing skills. What do you mean by writing "I can't write anything"?

I was only giving an example. When you are asked to write, and you cannot think about anything to write, then instead of leaving an empty sheet, you can write over and over again: "I can't write anything" until an idea hits you.

:smile:

I presume you have already taken GCSE English Language exam, or you are going to take your final exam next year, as in in 2015?

If so, if you are predicted a B for your final English Language GCSE grade and you achieve that grade B, you will be fine to take English Language at A-level. However; if you do get a C, you might struggle with English Language at A-level.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
I presume you have already taken GCSE English Language exam, or you are going to take your final exam next year, as in in 2015?

If so, if you are predicted a B for your final English Language GCSE grade and you achieve that grade B, you will be fine to take English Language at A-level. However; if you do get a C, you might struggle with English Language at A-level.

I had a C in English Language in foundation paper but that was four years ago.
I had a C in English Language in foundation paper but that was four years ago.

How old are you?

Are you planning to do this at college?

Read, read and read :tongue:

It really does help :yep:

Edit: That includes anything really, books, newspaper articles, researching someting that interests you etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Hey guys! I don't know if I'm in the right place, but i need topic for English B EE. Well I actually do have it already, I just need research question... I keep thinking about it, I want a good one, so I was thinking maybe you have some thoughts... So my topic is female body picture in advertising. Feminism is closely interrelated with my topic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending