The Student Room Group

Why are TSR users so anti-female?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by i-love-coffee
I thought most of the people on here are often quite intelligent but honestly, as a girl, some of the stuff I read scares me.

In the past week I've read threads such as 'men paying for sex is the fault of women for not giving out enough', 'feminism needs to be abolished', 'i'd hate to be a women as it's the weaker sex', 'girls deceive behind make up and then get boys to marry them', 'women are getting progressively uglier'.

I'm not trying to criticise every user on TSR, but honestly, is this the view of most boys? Because if it is it really worries me? Or am I just reading the most ridiculous threads?

These sound like the kind of things that virgin serial killer said.

I wonder if he was a member of TSR? I suppose we will never know.
Original post by TolerantBeing
Yeah, and now you're too afraid to go outside at night? That's no way to live, and so you should get help to move on.

Nah its not that bad, but I do worry that if I and some girl got drunk then id get the blame
Original post by noobynoo
These sound like the kind of things that virgin serial killer said.

I wonder if he was a member of TSR? I suppose we will never know.

All the virgin serial killers are on 4chan. Here we are safe.
I thought most of the people on here are often quite intelligent but honestly, as a girl, some of the stuff I read scares me.

In the past week I've read threads such as 'men paying for sex is the fault of women for not giving out enough', 'feminism needs to be abolished', 'i'd hate to be a women as it's the weaker sex', 'girls deceive behind make up and then get boys to marry them', 'women are getting progressively uglier'.

I'm not trying to criticise every user on TSR, but honestly, is this the view of most boys? Because if it is it really worries me? Or am I just reading the most ridiculous threads?

AHAHAHAHAHHAHA the bold killed me but it sounds more like my Grandad tbh

No this is not the view of most boys.
Original post by DiddyDec
All the virgin serial killers are on 4chan. Here we are safe.

Do you think when he got to heaven he got 72 virgin girls?
Original post by TheAnusFiles

Heaven? Not a real place. His body will make good fertiliser though.
Original post by TheAnusFiles

I'm guessing he went to the other place. :devil:

He probably got 72 virgin girls but placed just slightly out of reach for ever.
Firstly, the loudest of any social group will always be it's most radical/ extreme members. You see it all the time with the media and its representation of Muslims. And because the extreme members are the loudest, they are often the first and easiest to come to mind, and so we tend to overestimate their number. It's a natural bias.

I agree that a fair few 'self-described' feminists are extreme. But by saying 'self-described' you yourself are only considering a portion of feminists there really. You're doing your own filtering there, considering the ones who really consider feminism as part of their self-identity, and naturally they are more likely to have more extreme values. As has been covered on here before, a lot of women go by the definition of feminism, but they just don't identify strongly as feminists. I'd say a very small proportion of those women hold values that would classify as radical.

I completely disagree with your second paragraph, and I'm not going to waste my time going over this with you again, because we have both covered this ground before, at least three times. You have your views, and I have mine. You think that a significantly higher proportion of females not wanting to be MPs compared to males is sufficient to justify the lack of female MPs. But you're just completely disregarding the reasons why less women want to be MPs, you can't ignore the influence of gender roles and expectations in that.

Nope, not at all. Gender roles are a factor, as is biology. If you fail to acknowledge the influence of the latter at all, you're a radical in my eyes.

And even if so, do you not think this crude system of taking whatever women happen to be on hand and putting them up in these positions is something to protest about? Even if you believe it's ALL gender roles, surely you should still protest these kind of ugly actions, and work instead on fixing the gender roles themselves? It's like trying to fix racism by mandating a certain % of black people must be MPs - it doesn't actually solve anything at all, apart from having a nice visual impact.
You should not take what's been said on TSR to heart. People who say these things are too cowardly to say them in any other way. I'd stay clear of those threads if it bothers you. Most boys or girls are NOT like that, those posts just draw the most attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by noobynoo
I'm guessing he went to the other place. :devil:

He probably got 72 virgin girls but placed just slightly out of reach for ever.

Waving and saying:

[video="youtube_share;LK7LyxgrWS4"]http://youtu.be/LK7LyxgrWS4?t=5s[/video]
(edited 9 years ago)
Many of them are trolls, others are sad human beings. I'd not worry about it that much if I were you.
most of the people on here are trolls, including me so don't take much notice.

I'm a feminist )
Reply 72
I don't see a problem here.
Yeah but the anti-feminism on TSR is actually a hell of a lot louder than the feminism....The anti-feminist threads massively outweigh the feminist ones, I really fail to see the point. Feminism effects none of our daily lives, if you all think it's a non issue then why whine about it all the time?

Don't get it.

One of a series of excellent posts.

I agree with you that there are lots of idiotic threads, posts, thoughts and views. Some weeks it does feel like they're getting worse.

But there are nice people on here too! I'm a boy and I don't have these ridiculous opinions. And I'm sure there are lots of others too. Just ignore the stupid ones - I think its a combination of lack of maturity, not having seen the real world and not having interacted with enough people. They also probably have never spoken to and had a good friendship/relationship with a girl to find out that many of the girls are actually quite nice!

Its not most, there's a small group of about 10 dickheads who just post endless streams of highly offensive woman-hating troll posts.

I have absolutely no idea why the moderators put up with it. My advice is, if you see a post that criticises women, report it and request the user be permanently banned.
Original post by cole-slaw
Its not most, there's a small group of about 10 dickheads who just post endless streams of highly offensive woman-hating troll posts.

I have absolutely no idea why the moderators put up with it. My advice is, if you see a post that criticises women, report it and request the user be permanently banned.

Freedom of speech. Why should people be banned from criticising women but not criticising men? Is that not a double standard?
Freedom of speech. Why should people be banned from criticising women but not criticising men? Is that not a double standard?

No-one is going around criticising all men as far as I can tell, otherwise they should be banned as well. What we do have is a small group of trolls, who attempt to spread their deep-seated hatred against women across the site and the internet.

Misogyny and sexism is just as serious as racism or homophobia, and should be dealt with in an equally robust manner.

I would like to see TSR make an explicit anti-sexism regulation and remove several users, because at the moment, the moderation is not keeping on top of the flood of evil misogyny overwhelming the site.
Original post by cole-slaw
No-one is going around criticising all men as far as I can tell, otherwise they should be banned as well. What we do have is a small group of trolls, who attempt to spread their deep-seated hatred against women across the site and the internet.

Misogyny and sexism is just as serious as racism or homophobia, and should be dealt with in an equally robust manner.

I would like to see TSR make an explicit anti-sexism regulation and remove several users, because at the moment, the moderation is not keeping on top of the flood of evil misogyny overwhelming the site.

There is this idea that is floating around that if you are anti feminist you are therefore sexist and misogynistic. Which is a complete farce. I don't think is is actually a hatred towards women. It is a hatred towards a growing system which they perceive threatens them in the future.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, and as long as it is not saying that women are lower than men or women are better than men then it is all over board.

Even the phrase misogyny is throw around too much. Serial killers who target only women are misogynistic, people who express their opinions on women as a dislike do not by any stretch come under this category. You are implying that criticising women is misogyny, which is completely ridiculous.
There is this idea that is floating around that if you are anti feminist you are therefore sexist and misogynistic. Which is a complete farce. I don't think is is actually a hatred towards women. It is a hatred towards a growing system which they perceive threatens them in the future.

Everyone has a right to their own opinion, and as long as it is not saying that women are lower than men or women are better than men then it is all over board.

Even the phrase misogyny is throw around too much. Serial killers who target only women are misogynistic, people who express their opinions on women as a dislike do not by any stretch come under this category. You are implying that criticising women is misogyny, which is completely ridiculous.

Given that feminism is the belief that men and women should be treated equally, and sexism is the belief that they shouldn't, then they form a logically exhaustive set. So to say that if you are anti feminist you are therefore sexist is in fact true by definition.

This is not a matter for debate, simply look up the definition of the two words if you don't believe me.

Quick Reply

Latest