The Student Room Group

Cancer jab/ HPV vaccine

Did anyone having the cervical cancer jab from 2012 onwards have any adverse reactions to it?

or suspected reactions...

I'm terrified of getting it done, especially all of this stuff on the internet

I cant help but feel I will be in the minority of people who suffer greatly

once its in me, it cant be undone.

I'm falling into a very dark pit of anxiety and nothing feels real any more, I need some help/reassurance :s-smilie:

Thanks, your help will be much appreciated.
Reply 1
About to get mine too and I'm also a bit wary

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is easy to find 'OMG this happened around the same time / some months later so it MUST be linked' stories, but the HPV vaccine is extremely safe.

If you're going to have a jab with anything, there may be some side-effects (soreness where the injection was, for example) but chance of getting a serious ones for this is about 3 in 100,000 women getting the jab... and the chance of getting cervical cancer if you don't have the vaccination is about three times higher than that every year.
It makes your arm weird and ache really painfully for about 4 hours. That's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by unprinted
It is easy to find 'OMG this happened around the same time / some months later so it MUST be linked' stories, but the HPV vaccine is extremely safe.

If you're going to have a jab with anything, there may be some side-effects (soreness where the injection was, for example) but chance of getting a serious ones for this is about 3 in 100,000 women getting the jab... and the chance of getting cervical cancer if you don't have the vaccination is about three times higher than that every year.

Thanks for the reassurance
By the way do you know of anyone in your year group who suffered from it? Or had any conditions that coincided with getting the injection

Probably not, perhaps I'm being irrational

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had mine five years ago and I and all my year was fine, same as any injection - just a little soreness around the injection site for a couple of hours. You'll be fine! :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Obiejess
It makes your arm weird and ache really painfully for about 4 hours. That's it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

When did you get yours done...i was too scared the first time round when it was being offered so now having to pay about £99

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
In addition what worries me the most is the comments on the NHS choices website dated from earlier this year. Quite disturbing...

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/vaccinations/Pages/hpv-vaccine-cervarix-gardasil-side-effects.aspx

Side effects that are bothering me the most are:
Leukaemia
Chronic headaches
Loss of periods or delaying
Arthritis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bottle123
By the way do you know of anyone in your year group who suffered from it? Or had any conditions that coincided with getting the injection

No, but one reason for that is that I went to an all-boys grammar school :smile:

When did you get yours done...i was too scared the first time round when it was being offered so now having to pay about £99

Who have you asked for it? Depending on what sexual activity you have engaged in, it may be possible find someone who will do it for free - the more virginal you are, the more likely that is. (If you already have the relevant strains of HPV, the vaccine won't have any effect.)

If you can't find someone, how significant is £99 to you? I'd hesitate before spending that much.
Reply 9
Did anyone experience problems with their cycle after getting the vaccine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by unprinted
No, but one reason for that is that I went to an all-boys grammar school :smile:

Who have you asked for it? Depending on what sexual activity you have engaged in, it may be possible find someone who will do it for free - the more virginal you are, the more likely that is. (If you already have the relevant strains of HPV, the vaccine won't have any effect.)

If you can't find someone, how significant is £99 to you? I'd hesitate before spending that much.

Ha! Very helpful :/
But yeah money isn't the issue
Is hate to think I could get cancer because I didn't want to pay for it
Thanks for the help and advice though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by VickyC1996
I had mine five years ago and I and all my year was fine, same as any injection - just a little soreness around the injection site for a couple of hours. You'll be fine! :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reassurance :smile: x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had it in 2008/9 and had no side effects whatsoever.
Anyone with asthma get the vaccine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone with asthma get the vaccine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi I had the vaccine an I have asthma it was all fine for me. There were no major problems for anyone in the school however part of my best friends fell out shortly after. It was only a small amount and has grown back. As hard as it sounds try and relax!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BethScarlett
Hi I had the vaccine an I have asthma it was all fine for me. There were no major problems for anyone in the school however part of my best friends hair fell out shortly after. It was only a small amount and has grown back. As hard as it sounds try and relax!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BethScarlett
Hi I had the vaccine an I have asthma it was all fine for me. There were no major problems for anyone in the school however part of my best friends fell out shortly after. It was only a small amount and has grown back. As hard as it sounds try and relax!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks all the posts are reassuring :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
Did anyone having the cervical cancer jab from 2012 onwards have any adverse reactions to it?

or suspected reactions...

I'm terrified of getting it done, especially all of this stuff on the internet

I cant help but feel I will be in the minority of people who suffer greatly

once its in me, it cant be undone.

I'm falling into a very dark pit of anxiety and nothing feels real any more, I need some help/reassurance :s-smilie:

Thanks, your help will be much appreciated.

Okay this vaccine is thoroughly tested for side effects and they are well publicised, however the chances are you will be fine. I have had it done and I didn't suffer from any of the side effects, neither did any of my friends who had it done. If you look on the internet about all vaccines there are people who say how bad they are. However they save lives, and this vaccine could save your life. The benefits greatly outweigh the risks of any of the side effects. Even if you were suspect a reaction to it, you can speak to any of the health professionals who will be able to put your mind at rest. The worst thing you can do is go on the internet. So don't worry, think of the benefits!
Reply 18
I had mine and my swine flu jab in the same arm hours apart and I was warned that this may increase the risk of side effects, my arm was sore for a few hours and a bit weak the next day but I was fine other than that, so was everyone else in my year, your only issue will be stopping the boys pinching you in the arm afterwards :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't forget that people only post the bad stuff that happens to them online- if nothing happened someone is less likely to review it online, so it rarely happens :smile:
I had mine a while ago and my arm went achy and that was it, no illness after or anything. You'll be fine xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest