The Student Room Group

Should Abortion be made illegal?

Scroll to see replies

You have made a common misconception. Abortion is actually illegal bar the few exceptions in the Act and I think it is important for these exceptions to be there. If the birth is likely to seriously harm or even potentially kill the mother, then she should be entitled to an abortion.
Original post by Rosie786
I know its legalised in UK under the 1967 act but should it be repealed?

There are so many couples who are childless as the women cannot conceive or gay people who would love to adopt children. Isn't it better to give birth to the child and then put him/her up for adoption if the child is unwanted?

I know there are rape cases but putting them aside. Now a day i have seen women just aborting the child because they don't want to take care of them?

Your thoughts?

The way I see it is this. It's not about the foetus (or the potential baby) it's about a woman's right to her own body. If a woman does not want a parasite growing inside her (and until it is able to survive outside the woman's body on its own that is what a foetus is (and by it's own I don't mean without being fed or anything, I just mean if it's unable to breathe by itself, eat by itself, etc. in other words, live outside the womb)) she has all the right to remove it.

This may sound horrible but it's important to take it into account. Women may abort for different reasons, but the reason that they have an abortion instead of giving the child away is because they do not want to go through a pregnancy. Pregnancy is dangerous and possibly life threatening, and it can interrupt work, studies, etc. It is only natural that a woman who does not want to rear a child also does not want to go through the pregnancy.
Original post by Zorgotron
You're making a category error here - you're confusing stages of development with kinds.

The correct analogy is comparing the seed and the plant to a fetus and an adult. A sunflower seed may not be a sunflower plant, but it's still of the species of sunflower - the seed being the sunflower at its earliest stages of development. Consequently, a fetus is not an adult, but both are human beings. The fetus is a human being at it's earliest stages of development and the developmental scale goes like this:

Conception-Zygote-Embryo-Fetus-Toddler-Infant-Adult-Elder-Death

The organism is a human being throughout this development. While it may not be a person in the way most pro-choicers define it, it still is a human being.

The correct analogy is comparing the seed and the plant to a fetus and an adult. A sunflower seed may not be a sunflower plant, but it's still of the species of sunflower - the seed being the sunflower at its earliest stages of development

That is what I was getting at, yeah.
So it is a being at the Fetus stage ?? or from the conception stage ???

Fetus being atleast 8 weeks right ?

So do you think it would be right to cap abortions to a certain stage in developement ?

(obviously available if its going to cause harm to the motherand/or child)
Original post by ProppaNutty
That is what I was getting at, yeah.
So it is a being at the Fetus stage ?? or from the conception stage ???

Fetus being atleast 8 weeks right ?

So do you think it would be right to cap abortions to a certain stage in developement ?

(obviously available if its going to cause harm to the motherand/or child)

I believe all human beings have a right to life and, I don't think abortion should be permissible at all. Of course, the hard cases, where the mother and the fetus would both die - I haven't fully reached a satisfying compromise here, but I would suppose that in such a situation, abortion would be conducted with the intent of saving a life rather than terminating a life.

It's a tragedy, but such a compromise in no way dehumanizes the fetus.

However, this view does not prevail in the modern west as most people tie human worth to some aspect of personhood. I, however, reject the notion that personhood is necessary for human worth.
No it shouldn't be made illegal

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zorgotron
I believe all human beings have a right to life and, I don't think abortion should be permissible at all. Of course, the hard cases, where the mother and the fetus would both die - I haven't fully reached a satisfying compromise here, but I would suppose that in such a situation, abortion would be conducted with the intent of saving a life rather than terminating a life.

It's a tragedy, but such a compromise in no way dehumanizes the fetus.

However, this view does not prevail in the modern west as most people tie human worth to some aspect of personhood. I, however, reject the notion that personhood is necessary for human worth.

I suppose so, I do not think it should be Illegal, but far too many people just do it 'willy nilly' now a day, which, as previously mentioned before, could be classed as murder, I suppose.
Original post by Rosie786
I know its legalised in UK under the 1967 act but should it be repealed?

There are so many couples who are childless as the women cannot conceive or gay people who would love to adopt children. Isn't it better to give birth to the child and then put him/her up for adoption if the child is unwanted?

I know there are rape cases but putting them aside. Now a day i have seen women just aborting the child because they don't want to take care of them?

Your thoughts?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

There are already SO MANY children out there in need of adoption. Plus, women should be allowed body autonomy.
No!! I am 100% pro-choice.

So what if the reason for abortion was because she couldn't care for it? Even using protection sometimes accidents happen and not everyone can afford to take time off work to carry a baby to full term. Asking her to do so is ridiculous.

There are also so many children in care who aren't being adopted, bringing more is just selfish.

You also mentioned rape cases being immune BUT this then becomes an extremely difficult subject as not all rapes can be proven therefore you're asking a woman to carry a baby to full term, remembering every day what she went through.

Being against abortion is selfish.
In the UK for you to have an abortion one or more of these must be met.

•

That the pregnancy has not exceeded 24 weeks

•

The continuation of the pregnancy would involve risk to the life of the pregnant woman, more so than a termination

•

There is a substantial risk that if the child is born they would suffer mental or physical abnormalities

•

That the abortion is necessary to prevent permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman

To lay out some Augments.
At 5 weeks the fetus has a heart that is beating.
At 10 weeks the fetus will have internal organs that are starting to work. it will also have developed human features like arms legs eyes and fingers before now.
At 13 weeks the fetus will develop inter-hemispheric communication
At 14 weeks the fetus will start sucking its thumb.
At 15 weeks the fetus eyes will respond to light.
At 18 weeks the fetus will begin to move around.
At 20 weeks the fetus will respond to stimuli, but plants respond to so not much difference.
At 23 weeks the fetus has mass brain activity and growth and could be considered sentient and self aware.
At 24 weeks is the point at which the fetus could survive premature though it is very unlikely
At 27 weeks the fetus will breath inside the womb.
At 28 weeks the fetus could be dreaming and the brain is taking its final form.
At 37 weeks if born now it will have a good chance of survival
At 39-40 weeks is the baby's due date.

With the time line of the fetus its up to an individual to draw a line, I personally agree with UK law that after 24 weeks unless there is a threat to life abortion should not be allowed.

Looking at the other points I think its hard to argue that two deaths are better than one and so if the women life is in danger either an abortion or early pregnancy are the only solutions.

Personally I am okay with early abortions, but it is not a replacement for contraception and should not be used like it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending