The Student Room Group

Confirmed Conditional Offer but changed nationality

I've fulfilled the requirements of my conditional offer to study at UCL.

However, when I applied for the course I still had a Chinese nationality. I've been told by the German foreign office that I should be given a German citizenship sometime before September (course starts 22nd Sept). As a result I'll lose my Chinese nationality.

I applied for German citizenship November 2013, so I wasn't sure whether I was ever going to get it approved in time for university.

Having a German passport simplifies things a bit, as I won't have to apply for a Student Visa. The application fees alone are £310.

However, I'm worried that contacting UCL right now about my nationality change could cause them to withdraw the offer due to miscellaneous reasons such as the quota being met already for EU students, etc.

Others have said I should wait until the day I arrive at the university, before letting them know that my passport has changed, which I don't think is a wise thing at all.

Do you guys think there's any change for UCL to withdraw my offer if they hear about my nationality change?
Original post by tuglowz
I've fulfilled the requirements of my conditional offer to study at UCL.

However, when I applied for the course I still had a Chinese nationality. I've been told by the German foreign office that I should be given a German citizenship sometime before September (course starts 22nd Sept). As a result I'll lose my Chinese nationality.

I applied for German citizenship November 2013, so I wasn't sure whether I was ever going to get it approved in time for university.

Having a German passport simplifies things a bit, as I won't have to apply for a Student Visa. The application fees alone are £310.

However, I'm worried that contacting UCL right now about my nationality change could cause them to withdraw the offer due to miscellaneous reasons such as the quota being met already for EU students, etc.

Others have said I should wait until the day I arrive at the university, before letting them know that my passport has changed, which I don't think is a wise thing at all.

Do you guys think there's any change for UCL to withdraw my offer if they hear about my nationality change?
This is way too specific and complex for any layperson on here to advise you on. Only UCL can say anything about this. I'd be surprised if they withdrew your offer, but they certainly need to know about it straight away. Any response from anyone on here is unlikely to be helpful.
I'm trying to process many rules and regulations in my head, and not getting very far here!

As a Home/EU student you would fall into Student Number Controls, which restricts the number of students universities take on, predominantly because of state-backed loans as well as state subsidising of UK higher education. Under this, you could be turned away if the university felt as though they would risk going over their quota. That said, if your grades are high enough, you're exempt (equivalent of ABB at A Level or 34 in the International Baccalaureate) and would expect your offer to stand: http://www.hefce.ac.uk/media/hefce/content/data/2013/201415exemptlist2/exemptions_list_201415_amend.pdf. If they turned your offer down after being SNC-exempt, it would seem pretty discriminatory to me.

Apart from that, it's a complex one to answer.

Your best bet is to contact UCL as soon as possible to let them know and ask the question.
Original post by DarkWhite
I'm trying to process many rules and regulations in my head, and not getting very far here!

As a Home/EU student you would fall into Student Number Controls, which restricts the number of students universities take on, predominantly because of state-backed loans as well as state subsidising of UK higher education. Under this, you could be turned away if the university felt as though they would risk going over their quota. That said, if your grades are high enough, you're exempt (equivalent of ABB at A Level or 34 in the International Baccalaureate) and would expect your offer to stand: http://www.hefce.ac.uk/media/hefce/content/data/2013/201415exemptlist2/exemptions_list_201415_amend.pdf. If they turned your offer down after being SNC-exempt, it would seem pretty discriminatory to me.

Apart from that, it's a complex one to answer.

Your best bet is to contact UCL as soon as possible to let them know and ask the question.

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I should add that my fee status has already been determined to be the EU rate, as one of my parents already has German citizenship. That should mean that they already accounted for me in the Student Numbers?

Additionally, I scored 39 IB points so I should be exempt anyway.

I guess I'll contact UCL about this now.
Original post by Mastergalen
Thanks a lot for your reply.

I should add that my fee status has already been determined to be the EU rate, as one of my parents already has German citizenship. That should mean that they already accounted for me in the Student Numbers?

Additionally, I scored 39 IB points so I should be exempt anyway.

I guess I'll contact UCL about this now.

Oh, then I don't think this will make much difference at all to your application.

Still, call them up and let them know :smile:
Looks like since I was already classified as European for fees purposes, changing nationality indeed did not affect the application, so all is good :smile:.

All I have to do is give them my new passport details and everything is sorted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending