The Student Room Group

Are there any other girls out there who don't have their eyebrows done?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by pickup

Well if 'life's too short to stuff a mushroom' it's certainly too short to spend hours fiddling with your eyebrows!

I'm assuming you were meant to quote me? Or just taking my words…

Well first, people find time to do (at least a couple from)… shave their legs, wash their hair, put make up on, fake tan, paint their nails, straighten their hair etc but suddenly draw the line at eyebrows…

Bad eyebrows look really bad. And second, once you've spent 5 minutes every week or so for a few weeks slowly "moulding" them into an attractive desired shape, it takes about 20 seconds every couple days to continue to pluck strays. I wouldn't say it's hours of a girls life wasted..
I don't have mine plucked or shaped either. I keep meaning to dye them though because they are dark brown and my hair is ginger lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I regret starting doing my eyebrows so much. I have really sparse thine brows and due to the constant plucking and shaping they look terrible unless their filled in. I look at those youthful models with massive untamed brows with envy, I think they look so much better.
Original post by minidee6.12
Some religions aren't allowed to touch their eyebrows...some prohibit removal of any kind of hair. Depends really, it's probably due to religious reasons

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fair enough. Wont apply to everyone though. Some girls just have no idea what to do or don't ever groom themselves anyway (like makeup, shaving or even showering every day etc) so like I said that'll also be why some girls don't.

I'm not like…having a go at anyone. In the same way people say drawn on eyebrows look really bad (not disagreeing, when it's done wrong it's horrific), I just don't really think wild and unplucked/shaped eyebrows look good…ever. Unless maybe you don't notice it on someone because they happen to have miraculous eyebrows naturally. :dontknow:
I get mine threaded. I don't care if thick, untidy eyebrows are in style. Lately the girls who thread mine have been doing them a little thicker, because clearly everyone wants to look like Cara Delevigne. It annoys me, but I'm too polite to ask them to take more off.

When I get my eyebrows done I feel more confident, and also I think by giving them a clearer shape they convey emotions better, if that makes sense.
Original post by lou_100
I'm assuming you were meant to quote me? Or just taking my words…

Well first, people find time to do (at least a couple from)… shave their legs, wash their hair, put make up on, fake tan, paint their nails, straighten their hair etc but suddenly draw the line at eyebrows…

Bad eyebrows look really bad. And second, once you've spent 5 minutes every week or so for a few weeks slowly "moulding" them into an attractive desired shape, it takes about 20 seconds every couple days to continue to pluck strays. I wouldn't say it's hours of a girls life wasted..

I think the difference is probably one of age and responsibilities.

If you have 3 children a job and a house to run, not to mention studying, aging or sick relatives etc. you can do the absolute minimum - clean teeth,wash hair, dash of makeup in under 5 minutes. Most of the periphery fake tan, nails will go. Worries which seemed enormous re skin and eyebrows suddenly disappear in favour of much more important things and you will never even think about whether your eyebrows look really bad.

If you only have yourself to please and few responsibilities ( unless make up is part of your job ) then of course you can spend the time to enjoy yourself and 'stuff mushrooms.'
Original post by pickup
I think the difference is probably one of age and responsibilities.

If you have 3 children a job and a house to run, not to mention studying, aging or sick relatives etc. you can do the absolute minimum - clean teeth,wash hair, dash of makeup in under 5 minutes. Most of the periphery fake tan, nails will go. Worries which seemed enormous re skin and eyebrows suddenly disappear in favour of much more important things and you will never even think about whether your eyebrows look really bad.

If you only have yourself to please and few responsibilities ( unless make up is part of your job ) then of course you can spend the time to enjoy yourself and 'stuff mushrooms.'

This is a student forum, so I wasn't really talking about mums of 3 too much.

Not disagreeing, though.
It's worth getting them done once and then maintaining it at home with tweezers for the odd stray hairs, though I find I do have to eventually go back after a few months. My natural shape is OK but definitely looks better after a shape. Haven't had them tinted before and wager that is a bit more risky. If you get them threaded or waxed they don't have to be thin or weedy they can still make them look thick but tidy. I get them done at places that don't need appointments while I'm buying other stuff anyway and it takes about 5- 10 minutes so it doesn't take much time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Secretnerd123
Thankfully,I don't really need to and my religion forbids threading of eyebrows so I don't bother :smile:

What religion is that? :smile:
I don't bother with my eyebrows. They're not too bushy and they're not too thin. They're a nice shape, and as long as I don't have a uni brow, I don't see the need for me to trouble them.
I don't really do anything to mine apart from pluck out stray hairs. They're reasonably thick, but not too thick, and quite a nice shape, so I think they look alright as they are. Probably helps that they're blonde too so they don't stand out too much.
Original post by Mr.Obsessed
What religion is that? :smile:

Islam :smile:

Uh I nearly always get my eyebrows threaded by muslim ladies? :/
Original post by Toaster Leavings
Uh I nearly always get my eyebrows threaded by muslim ladies? :/

Well its forbidden and our prophet Muhammad cursed those who thread and those who get their eyebrows threaded but some people just turn a blind eye to it.
Original post by lou_100
To me eyebrows are quite a defining part of a female face, and I think good eyebrows make someone that bit more attractive. Not just meaning pretty, but also more attractive because they (meaning the person) look more tidy and neat and well groomed.

Therefore I really struggle to understand why more girls don't take pride in their eyebrows, when they have well groomed/cut/styled/dyed hair and make the effort to shave and wax their legs etc etc. It makes no sense.

If theres a girl who doesn't shave, wax, take care of her appearance in any way in general, of course I wouldn't expect her to know what to do with her eyebrows either or care about them. I just mean when a girl takes a decent level of care of every part of herself except her eyebrows.

Two friends I have at uni are attractive girls but if you actually look at their eyebrows they are horrific - bushy and they never touch them. If they plucked them into a suitable shape their faces would become so much more striking in a good way.

I pluck, shape, comb and sometimes use a bit of eyebrow pencil as I have dyed dark hair and my eyebrows are light brown/blonde and really thin.

Maybe they have more important things to be getting on with?

Natural eyebrows are not horrific - grow up and be a little kinder to your 'friends'.
Original post by Bartimaeus

Natural eyebrows are not horrific - grow up and be a little kinder to your 'friends'.

It doesn't take long to do your eyebrows

I've never heard of that before, it may be a sect of Islam rather than a fundamental belief?
Original post by Bartimaeus

I'm not talking about "natural" specifically I'm talking about messy, bushy, unattractive. Not all natural eyebrows are bad, but all bad eyebrows are natural.

Having more important matters to "get on with" is actually irrelevant. It takes hardly anything to do eyebrows. Actually takes longer to blow dry your hair or shave your legs.
My eyebrows are quite thick,but i embrace them lol. I've started plucking them myself.
I don't do mine :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending