The Student Room Group

University 2015 Entry Maths Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DomStaff
Surely doing some BMO will help for my interview though? It's just I feel like every maths applicant I have spoken to on this has done BMO, hence I feel I should too.

It may help you improve your problem solving abilities, but Cambridge interviews are a heck of a lot easier than BMO questions!
Reply 41
Original post by shamika
It may help you improve your problem solving abilities, but Cambridge interviews are a heck of a lot easier than BMO questions!

Are you allowed to discuss your interview? If so, what did they ask?
Original post by DomStaff
Are you allowed to discuss your interview? If so, what did they ask?

You're not. However luckily, a few of the questions they asked me are in the Emmanuel maths interview video (http://www.emma.cam.ac.uk/admissions/video/interviews/?showvid=101).

I've been told questions have got slightly harder now, which is why I recommend STEP I as good practice for interviews.
So, how's everyone feeling after results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TLHroolz
So, how's everyone feeling after results day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

not very good. got shafted by edexcel by around 15-20 uMS in m1
m2 and s1.
i got
c1 100
c2 94
s1 83
fp1 97
m1 95
m2 94
expected 100 in m1 and m2 and 90 in s1.lost marks in m1 and m2 for significant figures in every question i did it to one extra place. Apparently people who get a question wrong get 100 and i get everything right and get 95-94. Stupid really edexcel should sort that out. That cudve been the difference between A and B for a uni offer holder. Oh well i guess being in the top 100 in the Uk in maths challenge and BMO means nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
m2 and s1.
i got
c1 100
c2 94
s1 83
fp1 97
m1 95
m2 94
expected 100 in m1 and m2 and 90 in s1.lost marks in m1 and m2 for significant figures in every question i did it to one extra place. Apparently people who get a question wrong get 100 and i get everything right and get 95-94. Stupid really edexcel should sort that out. That cudve been the difference between A and B for a uni offer holder. Oh well i guess being in the top 100 in the Uk in maths challenge and BMO means nothing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm the other way round. I can't do Maths challenges to save my life, but my AS UMS for Maths:
C1: 100
C2: 100
FP1: 100
M1: 100
S1: 94
D2: 90
Most Unis don't care for Decision and not a lot for stats, so I'm really happy with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
m2 and s1.
i got
c1 100
c2 94
s1 83
fp1 97
m1 95
m2 94

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why the hell should your BMO achievements give you free marks in M1 and M2? You need to learn how to round; if you're using an approximate value for g (for example), being "over-accurate" is spurious.

I think you need to sort out your attitude rather than Edexcel needing to do anything.
Original post by shamika
Why the hell should your BMO achievements give you free marks in M1 and M2? You need to learn how to round; if you're using an approximate value for g (for example), being "over-accurate" is spurious.

I think you need to sort out your attitude rather than Edexcel needing to do anything.

Nice twisting words. Spurious, you are so thick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bit annoying getting every question right and then getting 95 and 94. Oh well you will never know the feeling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nice twisting words. Spurious, you are so thick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Seriously, sort out your attitude. (For the record I got 1200/1200 UMS in maths and FM when I took my A-Levels.)
Original post by shamika
Seriously, sort out your attitude. (For the record I got 1200/1200 UMS in maths and FM when I took my A-Levels.)

BMO is harder :smile:))))))))))))). Bookworm. full ums aint really an achievment just shows you work alot and did lots of exam practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
BMO is harder :smile:))))))))))))). Bookworm. full ums aint really an achievment just shows you work alot and did lots of exam practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree about BMO, but seriously, you're being decidedly unpleasant. I hope for your sake that you don't behave like that with everyone, very few would put up with it.

(Again, for the record, I didn't work at all at A-levels, but got a massive shock at university!)
Original post by shamika
I agree about BMO, but seriously, you're being decidedly unpleasant. I hope for your sake that you don't behave like that with everyone, very few would put up with it.

(Again, for the record, I didn't work at all at A-levels, but got a massive shock at university!)

i dont so dont worry.
i guess im just annoyed i couldnt even make the 95 average in AS levels and yet do so well in competitions which are 100 times more harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile
i dont so dont worry.
i guess im just annoyed i couldnt even make the 95 average in AS levels and yet do so well in competitions which are 100 times more harder.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well now that you're behaving more normally here's a few things to consider:

1) you've still got pretty got UMS, perhaps barring S1. No university would be (completely) out of reach, not even Oxford or Cambridge

2) the fact you've done BMO will mean a lot more than losing a few marks in some A-level modules. You should get an interview place, especially if you got into BMO2

3) you should learn your A-level courses thoroughly. That includes understanding how and when to round! :wink:

4) if applying to Cambridge, have a look at some STEP papers in advance of the interview. You'll be asked some problems which are harder than A-level standard. MAT and AEA are great practice too, particularly the longer MAT questions.

5) for someone who is clearly as intelligent as you, taking additional stats and mechanics modules might be a good way to go, since it widens your choice for STEP III.

I wouldn't worry about your maths UMS. I only remember my Maths and English lit ones because they're easy. It took me an hour to remember what subjects I took for A-level and GCSEs a few months ago when I was updating my CV; that's how little you'll care about them in the long run.
Original post by shamika
Well now that you're behaving more normally here's a few things to consider:

1) you've still got pretty got UMS, perhaps barring S1. No university would be (completely) out of reach, not even Oxford or Cambridge

2) the fact you've done BMO will mean a lot more than losing a few marks in some A-level modules. You should get an interview place, especially if you got into BMO2

3) you should learn your A-level courses thoroughly. That includes understanding how and when to round! :wink:

4) if applying to Cambridge, have a look at some STEP papers in advance of the interview. You'll be asked some problems which are harder than A-level standard. MAT and AEA are great practice too, particularly the longer MAT questions.

5) for someone who is clearly as intelligent as you, taking additional stats and mechanics modules might be a good way to go, since it widens your choice for STEP III.

I wouldn't worry about your maths UMS. I only remember my Maths and English lit ones because they're easy. It took me an hour to remember what subjects I took for A-level and GCSEs a few months ago when I was updating my CV; that's how little you'll care about them in the long run.

Yh i find StEP papers alright although at times very tedious. Mechanics is my strongsuit in maths and further in terms of bearing marks. I will be sitting all the mechanics modules and further pure modules this year too.Just worried if ill get an interview because i know that the sort of questions theyll ask i will very good at answering them hopefully. I think MAT is much easier then step wouldnt you agree. For the record i still dont even know what significant figures are cause i never really paid attention in year 7. Honest to god. in m2 i had 0.1905sometjing and i rounding to 0.1905 thinking its 3 sf worst thing is is till dont even know.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh i find StEP papers alright although at times very tedious. Mechanics is my strongsuit in maths and further in terms of bearing marks. I will be sitting all the mechanics modules and further pure modules this year too.Just worried if ill get an interview because i know that the sort of questions theyll ask i will very good at answering them hopefully. I think MAT is much easier then step wouldnt you agree. For the record i still dont even know what significant figures are cause i never really paid attention in year 7. Honest to god. in m2 i had 0.1905sometjing and i rounding to 0.1905 thinking its 3 sf worst thing is is till dont even know.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should get an interview, not least because of BMO. STEP can sometimes be tedious when there are long calculations, but accuracy in those is necessary, especially if you go on to do applied maths at university. MAT is indeed easier than STEP, but remember that for Cambridge interviews are a good way to practice. You should be fine so long as you're on top of your A-Level material (which guessing from your UMS, you are).

There's no excuse for you not knowing what significant figures are; just look them up! It'll take 10 minutes out of your life. I agree with you in that good UMS doesn't mean a huge amount more than you're able to be accurate, but learning from your mistake should hopefully mean better UMS in your FM modules. Accuracy is an important skill to learn (even if A-level maths isn't really the best place to test it).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Wesbian
Uni applying for: Cambridge
College applying for (if Oxbridge): St Johns
GCSEs: 11 A*s, D*D (Btecs), A in FSMQ, 4 maths modules in y11
AS-Levels (studied/grades): maths, further maths, physics, biology, chemistry
Background reading: done a complex analysis course online if that counts :tongue:
SMC/BMO: 115/125 in SMC, BMO1
Anything else maths related: attended an Ukmt summer school in y11. Done STEP I this year, probably got a 1 though. Done m2/m3 this year. Lots of other random junk but that's the bulk of it aha :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you do in STEP I?
Reply 57
Original post by newblood
How did you do in STEP I?

I got a 1 with 68 marks, but I had 4 full and 2 partials. I'm getting an enquiry but idk if much will change, since I think my script was way too messy for them. I had my solutions really spread out, like I finished the final parts of the questions in 3 additional booklets.

It's a shame really cause if I spent a tiny bit of time writing them up neater and more coherently i think id have the S.

Atleast I'll know better now for next year which was mostly the point of taking it this year :smile:! (If i get an offer that is)

Posted from TSR Mobile
.lost marks in m1 and m2 for significant figures in every question i did it to one extra place. Apparently people who get a question wrong get 100 and i get everything right and get 95-94. Stupid really edexcel should sort that out.

Who told you that? It isn't true.
Original post by Mr M
Who told you that? It isn't true.

mark schemes at the front. My methods were immaculate and all answers were correct. its says at the start of the mark schemes one mark deducted on each question for overaccuracy. Im getting m2 definately remarked.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest