The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Chances of getting in to Oxford for MMath with a First from Brunel

Hi all,

I've been doing well at Brunel and have received a prize for getting the highest grades (which averaged to a First) in my course.

If I do this well in my final year, do you think I'll have a chance of getting into Oxford for a post-grad course in Maths, despite Brunel not being a prestigious university?

Thank you
Original post by Lupacante
Hi all,

I've been doing well at Brunel and have received a prize for getting the highest grades (which averaged to a First) in my course.

If I do this well in my final year, do you think I'll have a chance of getting into Oxford for a post-grad course in Maths, despite Brunel not being a prestigious university?

Thank you

MMath is an undergraduate degree lasting 4 years. You probably mean the MSc Link
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
As MoS says above, your undergrad Uni has little bearing on your acceptance for a 'higher' Uni for postgrad. They will be far more interested in you getting a top First, your dissertation topic and what your referees say about your potential for higher study or research than any snobbery about the brand of Uni you went to. Many A level students and/or undergrads get the wrong idea about this and are convinced that going to an ex-Poly or similar will condemn them to the academic backwaters forever. It doesn't. I work at a very 'traditional' RG Uni - in every recruitment round for both PhDs and junior teaching posts there are always a very eclectic mix of background Unis, and that fact has no impact on interview/appointment decisions. PS. And my first degree wasn't from an RG Uni either.
Reply 3
Hi maskofsanity, returnmigrant:

Thank you. I know this is a bit late, and I don't know if you still frequent this website, but I just wanted to thank you for your words of encouragement. I did end up getting into (and passing) that MSc, and you were among the very few who told me I'd have a chance. I might not have bothered if it hadn't been for you. This has ended up having a very substantial impact on my life. So once again, thank you - I really appreciate it.
(edited 6 years ago)
So glad you applied and it all worked out well for you!

Thank you. I know this is a bit late, and I don't know if you still frequent this website, but I just wanted to thank you for your words of encouragement. I did end up getting into (and passing) that MSc, and you were among the very few who told me I'd have a chance. I might not have bothered if it hadn't been for you. This has ended up having a very substantial impact on my life. So once again, thank you - I really appreciate it.

Well done, mate! Just curious but what are you doing with your life now?
Reply 6
Original post by AspiringUnderdog
Well done, mate! Just curious but what are you doing with your life now?

Thanks!

I'm working as a data scientist at a medical devices startup.

We love a good happy ending.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending