The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 00100101
My first impression of you would be:
-oriental
-rich (because of being an international student)
-if you hang out with people, you will typically only mingle with other orientals rather than hang out with other kinds of people

I would have no problem becoming friends with a person of any background until he is nice and doesn't find chances to taunt me.
Original post by krazy prince
haha do you expect I would even talk to you from your comments?? I would rather help my friends instead of hypocrites who become my friends for rents etc.

See, first you start with vague and irrational comments then you taunt others for posting a true /harsh comment.
Original post by universal_set
These are your words:

What else you gonna do with her at your own place? Will you tell her your rich Prince's fairy tales or will you be playing luddo all night? LOL

I didn't know it was a 'SHE'. In that case, I won't share but do anything else possible to help her if she happens to be my good friend, possibly pay the rent of her room, if that doesn't hurt her and is ok with it.
Original post by Nafees
The way i see it if we are friends and u buy me a bmw too i will happily do your degree for you ;( good luck in the uk.

I imagine it is likely more difficult as you are further away from your family than most students. Which is why your parents are paying out so much too make it comfortable for you?

it just so happens your comfortable life at Uni will be our dream for after we finish our degrees and get our jobs. :smile:

Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

OH really?? I guess that is the reason for this envious replies then. Yeah as I would be staying away so my dad wants to make it safe and comfortable. But now I wouldn't tell anybody there about these things else they would be feeling really bad. I am sorry for it but what can I do? It comes with but I'll try to make it as comfortable as possible for my friends there.
But a few students said in the thread its really common there students having cars and houses. And yeah I value the blessing I have, thanks to God for it.

Maybe it is in other areas, but none of my friends will be taking cars, I know of only a few in my sixth form who will. As for houses some students do have houses, but a lot of those are houses shared with other students, usually in the second year of uni, at least that's how it is where I come from. I can't speak for wealthier areas of England, considering a lot of people where I live are on low income, myself included. Anyway as I said I wouldn't have a problem with anyone wealthier than myself and I do have a few friends who are quite well off, the only thing that would annoy most people would be if you take it for granted or were arrogant because of your wealth, just be nice and I'm sure you'll have no problem making friends. The only thing I would say is remember to respect cultural differences (can't say how different because I don't know where you're from, but I'm gathering you're eastern) so I'd advise against openly expressing distaste for some western behaviour, remember you're choosing to come here. I hope you have a good time at kings! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I didn't know it was a 'SHE'. In that case, I won't share but do anything else possible to help her if she happens to be my good friend, possibly pay the rent of her room, if that doesn't hurt her and is ok with it.

You are not thinking it through. If you were to pay her for her rent, people will start to hate and resent her for getting her rent paid without working for it, just as people are expressing resent for you in this forum. The UK is a country built on jealousy and envy - everyone always wants more and everyone hates those who have more.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Do you think they can buy you a Ferrari or Porsche instead? These sports cars are more appropriate for students as they portrait you as being fun in addition to wealthy, where as BMW's portrait you as being serious and wealthy.

From experience I have found that Ferrari's and Porsche's will make you more popular among the ladies if that is what you are into.

Goodluck.

lol I don't want girls as I already have a gf. And i personally like five series but will think what should I buy once I get there.
I agree that it is common for students to have cars. Many students also can rent private accomodation, but rarely do they purchase it. Perhaps TSR consists of a poorer demographic.

I hope TSR doesn't represent the real UK students as a whole as then it could be quite uncomfortable and I would be limited to only a few people then.
In one of your posts, you said that everyday he converts rupees to pounds and now you are denying.

He is into calculation thing all day. Everyday he is calculating how much money does he require and what's available in the accounts and all this is in foreign currency obviously. And I didn't deny the thing I said but you took it as he does all the accounts by himself. Do you even know how it works? Don't make me talk things I don't want to please!
Similarly, the British people are not as bad as you think.

I didn't insult a single person out of many who commenting here but don't think same could be said the other way around.
I am taking every benefit of freedom of speech :tongue:

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you present yourself as a douchebag and talk negative about others and their families when the other person is just trying tolerate.
See, first you start with vague and irrational comments then you taunt others for posting a true /harsh comment.

lol I know you are trying to pass your time just. Go read the comments he/she made and then ask to pay the rent. Ridiculous.
Original post by CallMeBatwoman
Maybe it is in other areas, but none of my friends will be taking cars, I know of only a few in my sixth form who will. As for houses some students do have houses, but a lot of those are houses shared with other students, usually in the second year of uni, at least that's how it is where I come from. I can't speak for wealthier areas of England, considering a lot of people where I live are on low income, myself included. Anyway as I said I wouldn't have a problem with anyone wealthier than myself and I do have a few friends who are quite well off, the only thing that would annoy most people would be if you take it for granted or were arrogant because of your wealth, just be nice and I'm sure you'll have no problem making friends. The only thing I would say is remember to respect cultural differences (can't say how different because I don't know where you're from, but I'm gathering you're eastern) so I'd advise against openly expressing distaste for some western behaviour, remember you're choosing to come here. I hope you have a good time at kings! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Na I wouldn't be disliking or expressing it openly if I did and am not arrogant and will try the best not to give off that vibe.
You are not thinking it through. If you were to pay her for her rent, people will start to hate and resent her for getting her rent paid without working for it, just as people are expressing resent for you in this forum. The UK is a country built on jealousy and envy - everyone always wants more and everyone hates those who have more.

That's why I said if she is ok with it. Well UK wasn't as bad as this when I visited it.
Na I wouldn't be disliking or expressing it openly if I did and am not arrogant and will try the best not to give off that vibe.

I should mention lamborghinis are always a popular car among students too. I'm hoping to get this one for my next car in the green colour:

http://www.lamborghini.com/en/models/huracan-lp-610-4/explore/#cfg14,A3A3,RAD,C3E,BAV,PC1,MAD,PD1,0UJ,0UJ_NA,0UJ_FCU_VF,LRA,2PF,EMI,NR1

But yeah, I'd stay away from the BMWs unless you can't find a car you like from one of the other three brands I mentioned. BMW are for older people I reckon.
(edited 9 years ago)
I should mention lamborghinis are always a popular car among students too. I'm hoping to get this one for my next car in the green colour:

http://www.lamborghini.com/en/models/huracan-lp-610-4/explore/#cfg14,A3A3,RAD,C3E,BAV,PC1,MAD,PD1,0UJ,0UJ_NA,0UJ_FCU_VF,LRA,2PF,EMI,NR1

But yeah, I'd stay away from the BMWs unless you can't find a car you like from one of the other three brands I mentioned. BMW are for older people I reckon.

It is a nice car but I personally don't prefer these type of cars. And cannot even talk further about cars otherwise again someone would refer to this post and say you tried to be a prig over there. But I prefer decent looking cars instead of sports.
How am I supposed to know it sitting here ? When I'll get around then will look up for it.

I thought so. I'll save you the trouble then: parking within a kilometer of Strand is pretty much impossible, and its rather pointless trying to park anywhere else in the centre of London when it wastes so much time compared with public transport. Tell your parents to skip the BMW, and maybe they'll be able to afford a decent flat for you instead.
Original post by Copperknickers
I thought so. I'll save you the trouble then: parking within a kilometer of Strand is pretty much impossible, and its rather pointless trying to park anywhere else in the centre of London when it wastes so much time compared with public transport. Tell your parents to skip the BMW, and maybe they'll be able to afford a decent flat for you instead.

well that's really nice of you. I will get there and see what's better and what's not and buy accordingly. Thanks for it though.
Reply 218
Original post by Copperknickers

The OP clarrified they are getting a house not a flat.

Perhaps they could get him one with a decent sized garage, and pay the parking fines when elsewhere?
Hello, I am an international student and am holding an offer from kings.
Before moving to UK this Sep, I wanted to know what pschy do UK students have for us and found it quite funny when I read the threads like what do rich international students think of us and they are spoiled etc.
Actually why I made this thread is so I can know why do u actually think we are spoiled or we are different from you when you yourself actually have a huge upper hand (fluent English) . I, before reading threads like this, thought that may be students would think down on me as I don't belong to their culture and dun know how the things go on there (though have visited UK many times as u would expect from a rich int student ;-) ) .
So to tell u about myself , yes I am one of those students who has latest macs, smartphones and my parents will buy me a flat and a BMW when I move there though in no way I think I will be bragging about it or think m better than u people and personally am a very down to earth person, this is the reason m leaving all this wealth n moving over there but still all these come with me where ever I'll move.
Thanks for reading this essay and please share Ur thoughts on why u think students with lots of moneyare not like u.

People's wealth doesn't really matter to me. If you're a nice, responsible, respectable and honest person, then we'd get along just fine.

Latest

Trending

Trending