The Student Room Group

Shapes of molecules

Draw and name the shape of the TlBr52− ion.
From AQA June 13 Unit 1 paper.
What is the method for doing this? I'm fairly new to this stuff and only know the basics of the angles and structures of simple molecules.

Thanks in advance :smile:
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
I think it is trigonal bipyramidal, we just learnt the shapes of molecules with varying amounts of bonding pairs/line pairs
Reply 3
From the periodic table we know Tl has 3 outer electrons. As it has a 2- charge this means it now has 5 on the outer shell, allowing it to bond with 5 other atoms, in this case Br, hence TlBr52-

The shape for an ion with 5 atoms bonded to it is trigonal byprimdal.

You just learn which shapes molecules have given the numbers of bonding elections they possess, so 5 bonding pairs will give a trigonal bypyrimdal shape, 3 will be trigonal planar, 2 will be linear and so on (not accounting for lone pairs)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Super199
Draw and name the shape of the TlBr52− ion.
From AQA June 13 Unit 1 paper.
What is the method for doing this? I'm fairly new to this stuff and only know the basics of the angles and structures of simple molecules.

Thanks in advance :smile:

If you go onto youtube "Colourful Solutions" there are many videos explaining how to draw shapes of molecules ...
Reply 5
Original post by TajwarC
From the periodic table we know Tl has 3 outer electrons. As it has a 2- charge this means it now has 5 on the outer shell, allowing it to bond with 5 other atoms, in this case Br, hence TlBr52-

You just learn which shapes molecules have given the numbers of bonding elections they possess, so 5 bonding pairs will give a trigonal bypyrimdal shape, 3 will be trigonal planar, 2 will be linear and so on (not accounting for lone pairs)

Right cheers boss. Did you do AS this year?
Reply 6
Original post by Super199
Right cheers boss. Did you do AS this year?

Yeah, are you about to start?
Original post by TajwarC

I thought ti has 2 outer electrons?
Original post by Harvin S Sihra
I thought ti has 2 outer electrons?

yeh im not sure on how its 3.

Quick Reply

Latest