The Student Room Group

The interviewer was 'joking' around most of the time at the interview

Hi,

I went to an interview recently and the interviewer was joking around literally.

I'm serious, she was asking me to tell her what her age was - and then tells me its a joke... she explained the project in a lot of detail, but when I asked her how the interview went, she pointed out some flaws but did indicate that I am a student.

I was not given an office tour; I had to ask her when I would hear back; she asked me if I had any plans for the summer - to which I said no.

All in all, its hard for me to predict - hence me asking on this forum.
Reply 1
Hi,

I went to an interview recently and the interviewer was joking around literally.

I'm serious, she was asking me to tell her what her age was - and then tells me its a joke... she explained the project in a lot of detail, but when I asked her how the interview went, she pointed out some flaws but did indicate that I am a student. She sort of gave me a few interview tips - which really has been bothering me.

I was not given an office tour; I had to ask her when I would hear back; she asked me if I had any plans for the summer - to which I said no.

Sounds to me like she was giving you advice for future interviews.
Reply 3
Original post by Black Cat
Sounds to me like she was giving you advice for future interviews.

Great! I might not get the job just because she decided to joke around too much.

I mean-me personally, I prefer serious people. I dont mind the old joke here and there
Original post by po10tial
Hi,

I'm serious, she was asking me to tell her what her age was - and then tells me its a joke... she explained the project in a lot of detail, but when I asked her how the interview went, she pointed out some flaws but did indicate that I am a student.

Maybe she was just trying to be friendly? :smile:

What role were you being interviewed for?
Reply 5
What were you interviewing for? One of my first interviews, I was completely thrown when the interviewer started talking about music festivals and summer plans. After I got the job he revealed to me that he actually tries to find out the personality of the people he interviews, to see whether they'll get along with everyone that worked there.
Reply 6
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Maybe she was just trying to be friendly? :smile:

What role were you being interviewed for?

Internship.
Internship.

An internship doing what? :smile: Like the above poster said, sometimes interviewers want to get to know your personality, to see if you'll fit in with the team/company. :smile:
Hi,

I'm serious, she was asking me to tell her what her age was - and then tells me its a joke... she explained the project in a lot of detail, but when I asked her how the interview went, she pointed out some flaws but did indicate that I am a student. She sort of gave me a few interview tips - which really has been bothering me.

When she asked what your summer plans were you were supposed to reply "Working here".
Sounds like you may have made an impression before you realised and the job wasn't going to be yours.

When she asks if you have plans for the summer you should have mentioned about looking for a job, keeping yourself busy, show you're a candidate that is willing to put himself out there to volunteer or push and strive for a career. If she hears you're doing nothing what's that going to say about you? Etc

Learn from the tips she's given.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It might seem strange in an interview but it happens. Were you told it was an informal interview as some employers have a more relaxed approach.
Reply 11
The interviewer appears to have made the interview light hearted to alleviate pressure on yourself. Not sure how you've turned a joke in to a bad thing?
Reply 12
Original post by sufferin succotash
Sounds like you may have made an impression before you realised and the job wasn't going to be yours.

When she asks if you have plans for the summer you should have mentioned about looking for a job, keeping yourself busy, show you're a candidate that is willing to put himself out there to volunteer or push and strive for a career. If she hears you're doing nothing what's that going to say about you? Etc

Learn from the tips she's given.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry I may have phrased it very badly.

I was asked if I was going on holiday to which I said no and then she said young people like you go to ibiza. I told her that I have kept my summer free and she asked me if I could run their department on my own for 2 weeks if they went on holiday. I was honest and said no, to which they said if i said yes they may have sent me home or had a different opinion.
Reply 13
Original post by TheCareersGuy
It might seem strange in an interview but it happens. Were you told it was an informal interview as some employers have a more relaxed approach.

Hi,

I wasn't really told that it was an 'informal' interview.

The interviewer told me that it went well and that HR have to make the final call.

Is this a good sign?
Reply 14
Hi,

The interviewer did say that the team was friendly and that they don't really shout or argue. I guess its her personality.

The interviewer told me that it went well and that HR have to make the final call.

Is this a good sign?

Generally yes it's a good sign, but I wouldn't overthink it. At the end of the day either you'll get an offer or you won't - no value in worrying about it now :smile:
Reply 15
She does not seem to be acting in a very professional manner
Threads merged due to being copies of one another.
Reply 17
Original post by M1011
Generally yes it's a good sign, but I wouldn't overthink it. At the end of the day either you'll get an offer or you won't - no value in worrying about it now :smile:

Yeah they need to sort of finalise everything.

Yeah I shouldn't stress over it too much
Reply 18
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Threads merged due to being copies of one another.

Whoops. Sorry, I may have duplicated the threads :tongue:

Thanks for merging it into one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending